FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC charging for seat selection during OLCI (launched, then paused) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2159032-ac-charging-seat-selection-during-olci-launched-then-paused.html)

salteen Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm

AC charging for seat selection during OLCI (launched, then paused)

Adam, please move if there's a more appropriate thread already.

I'm seeing reports on social media today that AC has started charging for seat selection during check-in. In one case, this anecdotally happened to someone travelling on a standard fare. Initially I dismissed this as user error, but the AC website now says, under "When you check in: To change your assigned seat, choose from the remaining seats. A fee may apply depending on the seat you have selected and the fare you purchased".

If true, my non-status family members traveling on standard fares will want to know there's no benefit to waiting until OLCI if this is the case. Can anyone on FT confirm if this is indeed a new policy?

zappy312 Apr 24, 2024 12:39 pm

It seems like people on Reddit are experiencing the same thing, which CS confirmed

https://www.reddit.com/r/aircanada/c...ange_on_check/

canadiancow Apr 24, 2024 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by salteen (Post 36185376)
Adam, please move if there's a more appropriate thread already.

I'm seeing reports on social media today that AC has started charging for seat selection during check-in. In one case, this anecdotally happened to someone travelling on a standard fare. Initially I dismissed this as user error, but the AC website now says, under "When you check in: To change your assigned seat, choose from the remaining seats. A fee may apply depending on the seat you have selected and the fare you purchased".

If true, my non-status family members traveling on standard fares will want to know there's no benefit to waiting until OLCI if this is the case. Can anyone on FT confirm if this is indeed a new policy?

I was all ready to reply saying "Were they trying to select a Preferred seat?"

But I guess it's interesting. You buy a fare that doesn't include seat selection, why should that change at T-24?

TBH, as someone who often books extremely last minute flights, this is finally a positive for me. All the good seats won't be gone at T-23:59.

skiier97 Apr 24, 2024 1:49 pm

In theory if you checkin and don't like the assigned seat could you remove your self from checkin, then re-checkin and see if you get a "better" seat?

smilee Apr 24, 2024 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by skiier97 (Post 36185581)
In theory if you checkin and don't like the assigned seat could you remove your self from checkin, then re-checkin and see if you get a "better" seat?

How can you remove yourself from checkin? Do you have to do that over the phone or with an agent?

Bohemian1 Apr 24, 2024 2:05 pm

I'm not surprised. AC certainly wasn't the first airline to do this. It's all part of unbundling to make fares look cheaper. Until we force consumer-friendly disclosure of these fees in Canada, expect more of these 'surprises'.

skiier97 Apr 24, 2024 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by smilee (Post 36185604)
How can you remove yourself from checkin? Do you have to do that over the phone or with an agent?

After completing the checkin process if you try to access the checkin page again, you'll have a "remove from checkin" button

D582 Apr 24, 2024 2:12 pm

It depends how they do it. I wouldn't count on the seat changing. Once you are accepted the system may 'lock' that seat selection for you. Amadeus has lots of capabilities in its departure management system to manage seat assignments, including theoretical assignments and seat shuffling.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 36185632)
I'm not surprised. AC certainly wasn't the first airline to do this. It's all part of unbundling to make fares look cheaper. Until we force consumer-friendly disclosure of these fees in Canada, expect more of these 'surprises'.

When I flew AY J last year, you had to pay for seat selection, and it was the same experience during OLCI .. you were assigned a seat and if you wanted to move you had to pay. Be thankful AC doesn't charge for seat selection in J (yet).

salteen Apr 24, 2024 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 36185632)

I can't say I'm surprised either, and I don't necessarily disagree with it in principle, for reasons discussed upthread. But it's a rather significant policy change that hasn't been communicated, and that's what's confusing/surprising/annoying people.

zappy312 Apr 24, 2024 3:21 pm

WestJet gets around it by assigning you the seat prior to the start of OLCI. You'd open OLCI to see 29B (or whatever), then you need to pay to change it to anything else.

PLeblond Apr 24, 2024 3:22 pm

Has it ever been stated in the fare rules that seat selection would be no charge after check-in? Or was it simply a loophole practice that now being policed?

Jumper Jack Apr 24, 2024 4:09 pm

YYZ-PUJ tomo, asked to pay $30 to select a seat at OLCI
I guess one less reason to pick AC over West Jet in some cases.

PLeblond Apr 24, 2024 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 36185903)
YYZ-PUT tomo, asked to pay $30 to select a seat at OLCI
I guess one less reason to pick AC over West Jet in some cases.

I didn't know AC flew to Sri Sathya Sai Airport from YYZ. And even more surprised WS does.

Jumper Jack Apr 24, 2024 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 36185924)
I didn't know AC flew to Sri Sathya Sai Airport from YYZ. And even more surprised WS does.

Sorry was a typo :/

PLeblond Apr 24, 2024 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 36185926)
Sorry was a typo :/

Yeah... I figured... just couldn't resist.