a319 forward seats

Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:09 pm

That chart reminds me of the Embrarer ERJ-170, whose seats are 18.25" wide. That might only be Ľ" wider than the A320, but it's a lot wider than the rest of the fleet. More importantly, it's not narrower.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 7:28 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
I thought the 319 was exempt from this "less space for our premium flyers zone" idea and that it did not apply to 763's but that it did apply to 762's. Could be wrong though.</font>
That sums it up correctly. The A319s did went from 16J/96Y to 14J/108Y a year ago but the pitch was not affected in Y.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am not doubting you are right but the numbers you gave don't logically add up - how do 2 J seats translate into 12 Y seats???
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:17 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

They took out part of the galley to put in 2 J seats on the right side. Then they took out the last row (4 J seats). The space gained from removing one row of J = 2 rows of Y. Used to be 4 rows of 2-2. Now it's 0-2 then 3 rows of 2-2.

Have a look at the current seat map and you'll understand what I am talking about.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:18 pm
exAC

Empress beat me to it!!!!

[This message has been edited by exAC (edited 10-21-2003).]

Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
That's pretty smart juggling of space!!
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:47 pm
exAC

Have you noticed how they screwed up the numbering in J/c???
Both sides start numbering at row #1 but row #1 on the left side is across the aisle from row #2 on the right side. Row #2 on the left is directly in line across from row #3 on the right etc.

Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:39 pm

Heh.. Yeah I've accidently gotten into 1A instead of 2A on a few occassions when the seating is offset like that... I figured they would have just made it 1C and 1F and then a whole row of 2's in line and such like that.. funny really...

B
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:15 am

I did get a reply from Air Canada. It is below and confirms what you have all said.

I wonder if Air Canada knows just how savvy you all are about the aircraft on which you fly so often? As a former Flight Attendant, I must say I am impressed, but also rather sad that you have to be away from your families and on airplanes so much that you have to care about such things.

Our knowledge of the aircraft is limited to the basics (although it fills one of our 3 manuals) with the safety manual being the most important. AC flys as many as 14 or more different aircraft configurations, depending on the leases, and that makes it difficult to be 100 percent familiar with all aspects of each aircraft.

The reply from Air Canada follows...

Good afternoon Pauly,

I am responding to your email regarding the reduced seat pitch due to
the reconfiguration of the economy class cabin.

I reviewed this issue with the maintenence group and they did confirm
that there has been a reduction of the seat pitch on the A 319 and A320
aircraft for the seats forward of the emergency exit rows..

On the A320, rows 13 and 14 now have a 31 inch pitch compared to rows 15
and 16 (35 inches, emergency exit rows) and 32 inches for the rest of
the Y class cabin.

The A319 seat pitch is now uniform throughout the cabin at 31 inches
except for the emergency exit rows, 35 inches.

I agree that these are premium rows and although we would have preferred
to keep an increased seat pitch, we were constrained by the location of
the emergency exits when the re-configuration was done.

Regards,

Franca Bretti
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by adamadam4:
The A319 seat pitch is now uniform throughout the cabin at 31 inches
except for the emergency exit rows, 35 inches.

I agree that these are premium rows and although we would have preferred
to keep an increased seat pitch, we were constrained by the location of
the emergency exits when the re-configuration was done.

Regards,

Franca Bretti
</font>
So let me get this straight....AC 319 is 31" and a re-configured WS 737-700 is 32" as per this quote from WS "With the removal of four seats on the 737-700 series aircraft,
WestJet will extend its seat pitch to a minimum 32 inches from 31
inches throughout its 737-700 fleet".

Interesting for sure!
Old Nov 1, 2003, 8:49 pm

To me the really surprising thing is how unaware AC decision makers are of how frequent flyers perceive things like this. They seem to think it's a non-issue or no big deal even if passengers are aware of it. More sadly, I suspect they don't understand that many frequent travellers know the airline better than they do.

A very clear application of #12 of the 95 thesis:

There are no secrets. The networked market knows more than companies do about their own products. And whether the news is good or bad, they tell everyone.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 3:01 pm
exAC

This should not be that surprising.

The average decision maker at the airline does not experience the airline product the way that a FF does. The vast majority of airline employees have NEVER bought a ticket. They know nothing of fares and fare rules because the rules they have to go by are completely different and seperate. They seldom get to sit in the first rows of an A320 because they do not get advance seat selection. They do not know too much about MLL's because they rarely see the inside of one. Getting sameday standby is a non issue since they are always on stand-by, even if they have a Positive space booking for business travel that just means they are at the head of the standby list.

I am aware of all of this now that I have left the airline and buy tickets like everyone else and I have exposure to Flyer-Talk.

Old Nov 2, 2003, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 6:02 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This thread reminded me of something and I found it. It appears after Ms. Bretti's reply as posted by adamadam4.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
originally posted by adamadam4

The reply from Air Canada follows...

Good afternoon Pauly,

I am responding to your email regarding the reduced seat pitch due to the reconfiguration of the economy class cabin.

I reviewed this issue with the maintenence group and they did confirm that there has been a reduction of the seat pitch on the A 319 and A320 aircraft for the seats forward of the emergency exit rows..

On the A320, rows 13 and 14 now have a 31 inch pitch compared to rows 15 and 16 (35 inches, emergency exit rows) and 32 inches for the rest of the Y class cabin.

The A319 seat pitch is now uniform throughout the cabin at 31 inches except for the emergency exit rows, 35 inches.

I agree that these are premium rows and although we would have preferred to keep an increased seat pitch, we were constrained by the location of the emergency exits when the re-configuration was done.

Regards,

Franca Bretti

</font>
This is a quote from Rupert Duchesne on April 27, 2002 from FT chat:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

Mikel at WebFlyer
This question was submitted earlier by StuMcIlwain: Why did Air Canada reduce the seat pitch only in the "preferred seating" section of their A320 and 767-200 Y cabins, the section reserved for Aeroplan status members?

Rupert Duchesne
We didn't: the cabins in both aircraft were standardized at 32 except for exit rows which have 1 inch less on A320s. However, some of our members do like those rows and we can't move seats in this area which is unfortunate TQ
</font>
Hmmmm. I hope Ms. Bretti cc'd her reply to Aeroplan executives so they are aware the service they offer to the "Preferred" clients no longer exists.

[This message has been edited by sing-along (edited Dec 07, 2003).]
Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:38 pm

Rupert was referring to the cabins before they were reconfigured and missed the entire point of my question.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.