Wiki Posts
Search

What makes for good service?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
What makes for good service?

Having just spent a big chunk of time in the air over the last week, I got to thinking about what constitutes good service on a given flight. There seems to be a consensus that service has improved over the last little while, but what does that mean? If I were the customer service VP of a major airline, what kinds of behaviour would I promote if I wanted passengers to walk off a flight saying “That was a good experience”? All this is hypothetical, and perhaps irrelevant, to the senior management at AC, but it might be useful information for our AC colleagues who frequent this board – although I don’t think they need advice on the way they treat us.

I wrote this on Dec 2, on AC 008 from YVR to YYZ, in J. The flight reinforced the thoughts I’d been having over the last few days. This was a crew that exemplified the virtues. At the beginning of the flight, the i/c went round the cabin and introduced herself to each of the SEs and Es, then took their meal orders. It’s a small gesture, but it counts to those who do a lot of travelling. And I think that is what makes the difference. On all the flights I’ve been on in the last few days, it has been the small things that have made me feel good as I walked off the plane.

Let me just list a few of my favourite things (beyond raindrops on roses and warm woolen mittens). I’ll leave it to others to add their own.

1. Being recognized as an individual – not necessarily by name, but as someone who is not just a body in a seat.

2. Attentiveness – moving through the cabin scanning to see if someone might have a request. Contrast this with the “walk fast, eyes straight ahead” techniques.

3. Good rapport among the crew – may be tough to establish, but very infectious. If the crew get along together, then the feeling spreads to the passengers.

4. Friendliness – relates to 1. but is more general. The tight face as someone moves down the aisle is a bad sign. FAs who chat to pax is a good sign.

What it comes down to is an attitude. On most flights everything proceeds according to plan: the meals are served, drinks are offered, and so on, but if these are accompanied by a sense that you are welcome it makes a difference. The irony is that it takes so little to do this, but as far as I can tell, there is no incentive from above to encourage customer service. Any thoughts on how to get this message across?
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It comes down to attention to details. Take care of details and the big items seem to be taken care of.

I too have spent the past week or so on economy long hauls on SQ,NZ and AC. The impressions are also fresh in my mind.

Comments have been made that SQ service seems focused on First and Business class. I found that service in economy is very good. Flight attendants were attentive to passenger needs: trash was picked up regularly; water was available; drinks were also available. Ask and you received in short time. On all three SQ flights service was consistently good.

AC was hit and miss. One flight was great; the other so so!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">At the beginning of the flight, the i/c went round the cabin and introduced herself to each of the SEs and Es, then took their meal orders</font>
When this happens my flights have always gone very very well.

I have had probably less than 5 flights this year where they came to me because of my status and asked what my meal choice was in advance. A small gesture? Maybe, but it leaves an overwhelmingly positive mark on you when you loyalty is recognized regardless of where you sit in the J cabin. Oh yeah, those flights were flawless in service.

I really can't say that I have had "bad" service. So in order to encourage consistent service I have written 4 comment cards (out of 5 flights!) to thank employees I thought really did do the extras whether it be a smile the whole flight or working their butts off. I felt weird writing that many cards in such short order but they were sincere and recognized great service.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:03 pm

I, also, agree that the service has improved noticeably. So what is needed?

A smile, a nod, a warm greeting and from time to time offers of refreshments--be it water or juice or anything else. Of course the introductions help considerably.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Smiles and helpfulness as opposed to frowns and helplessness . . .

I still get both at AC but happy to report that I get more of the former. AC needs a corporate culture dedicated to this.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:51 pm

Programs: AC-SE (MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Academic:
At the beginning of the flight, the i/c went round the cabin and introduced herself to each of the SEs and Es, then took their meal orders.</font>
I agree that this is a great gesture. It has never happened to me in AC domestic J. The most they have ever done is looked at my boarding pass and greeted me by name as I boarded and took my coat.
Last summer I flew UA 1st ORD-SFO on a 747. The purser came by, shook hands, introduced herself and said that it was a pleasure to welcome me, a *G member from AC. Nice touch, shocked the heck out of me. Another thing, they didn't make me put everything away during takeoff.

Another customer service thing I appreciate is the middle seat blocking that UA does for *G economy passengers. Would really like to see AC doing the same and while they are at it, adding E+ seating. It irritates me when I am sitting in a row with two other business traveller types while behind me retirees, likely on a Fun fare, enjoy an empty middle seat. OK, call me shallow and elitist.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:51 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Academic:
What makes for good service?</font>
One simple concept I've come to this year based on my experience: Having a good in-charge onboard to motivate the rest of the crew makes a big difference. "Lead by example"!

I still remember a YVRHNL flight that I was on few months ago, the in-charge was so miserable and the rest of the crew wasn't impressed. One of the FAs asked the in-charge (who was standing around) whether he could help out a bit, his answer was 'No' and he continued to stand around while the other FAs were scrambling around trying to complete the meal service. I went up to the FAs later on & told them not to get too upset and that I knew they tried their hardest. Told them they did really well given it was their first time doing the new J meals; that put the smile back on their face. (Poor crew still had to do HNL-SYD-HNL-YVR with the same in-charge.)

So as cattle said, letting the crew know that you really appreciated their great service will go a long way. At least they know they are doing things right!

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited Dec 03, 2003).]
Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:41 pm

At the beginning of the flight, the i/c went round the cabin and introduced herself to each of the SEs and Es, then took their meal orders. </font>
I agree that if the I/C sets an example, even the most drained or bored or disinterested FA will be required to rise to that level of service. I also agree that it is the little things that matter. You'll get from A to B regardless, but the little things make the flight better.

A few weeks ago I had a tango fare on an A320 YYZ-YVR. I was VERY pleased when they started meal service in Y and the FA came back to me and asked whether I wanted eggs or pancakes and they would hold one for me, because I was SE. It is a tiny small thing but it made me feel wanted and respected on the flight, and not a chore or burden to them. The service on that flight in Y was better than some I have experienced in J, because of the great attitude of these folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.