Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Template for Requests

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2024 Mileage Runs

Old Jun 16, 2024, 9:33 am
  #226  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 6,244
Originally Posted by Bb11
Hi all, new to all this.

Inadvertently qualifying for 35k later this year, booked a few trips on flex fares going between YVR-SYD-YVR-SYD-YVR-SYD-YVR, taking advantage of the recent AC sale.

If my math is right I'll be at ~46.5k SQM and ~4.5k SQD, so I'm looking for options that cover the remaining 3.5k miles/1.5k SQD with the least amount of taxes/flight time to reach 50k. .
before spending one and a half thousand dollars on the time, have a very solid think about the rest of your flying for this year and next year.
Becoming 50 K is nice, but only if you were going to take advantage of it

taupo is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2024, 11:39 am
  #227  
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Wow, that's an awful lot to pay for 50K.

If you've figured out that YWG is just under what you need, then you've figured out how to do the calculations. Use GCmap or AirMilesCalculator to play around with some sample routings to determine distance, and then Google Flights with filters on date, airline and connecting airports to find dates and flights that work for you.

A business-class flight YVR-YYZ-YVR would put you well over on both SQM and SQD. You could achieve the needed SQM and SQD at lower cost on a PE fare, and a hot-lap flying that route is probably about as time-efficient as 3,500 SQM gets, if you're able to make a reasonably quick turn.
YYZ-YVR-YYZ is definitely looking like the best route the more I look, thanks for the advice. Definitely looks like PE is the way to go for me, just need to find a good date now haha

Originally Posted by taupo
before spending one and a half thousand dollars on the time, have a very solid think about the rest of your flying for this year and next year.
Becoming 50 K is nice, but only if you were going to take advantage of it
Not as much this year, but definitely next year I have a lot more (business oriented) travel planned with my partner. I figured with the MLL and *A gold longue access among other extra perks over 35k, 50k is going to be worthwhile for me to have sooner rather than later, rather than waiting for mid-year next summer '25.

The 4k miles also puts me over the threshold a bit earlier too after YVR-SYD-YVR-SYD, given I'd be 21k/31k after the 3rd/4th flights, and I figured that as well into the math.

​​​​​​The ​rest of the travel I have planned for this year ('24) is also likely to be on points, so no SQD from there from my understanding.
Bb11 is offline  
Old Jun 24, 2024, 12:43 pm
  #228  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Posts: 4,615
Evening of Sept 22 (a Sunday), I've got a reason to be on the Jersey Shore (sigh), so some time EWR, starting home in YHZ. This might be the next time I've got any legit reason to head to the airport. I doubt I can pick up 75 segments that weekend, but more than nothing. Since any OPM travel is likely around NA, then I'd be pushing for segments over miles for any level, but if there is some absurd 2 hop RTW option that someone knows about.....

I'm thinking a positioning flight to Toronto, and do some hopping around from there. Or even starting from further west? Or maybe YUL and bouncing around Ontario?

No particular budget. Anyone have thoughts?
RangerNS is offline  
Old Jun 24, 2024, 1:09 pm
  #229  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,819
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Evening of Sept 22 (a Sunday), I've got a reason to be on the Jersey Shore (sigh), so some time EWR, starting home in YHZ. This might be the next time I've got any legit reason to head to the airport. I doubt I can pick up 75 segments that weekend, but more than nothing. Since any OPM travel is likely around NA, then I'd be pushing for segments over miles for any level, but if there is some absurd 2 hop RTW option that someone knows about.....

I'm thinking a positioning flight to Toronto, and do some hopping around from there. Or even starting from further west? Or maybe YUL and bouncing around Ontario?

No particular budget. Anyone have thoughts?
If you want to keep it simple, YHZ-YMQ-YOW-YTO-WAS/EWR/CHI-EWR works. That's 5 segments on the one fare. If you actually want to "spend money", then... anything you want really . YHZ-YYJ-EWR might have some reasonably priced multiple-segment options.
kalderlake likes this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jun 26, 2024, 6:39 pm
  #230  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Posts: 4,615
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you want to keep it simple, YHZ-YMQ-YOW-YTO-WAS/EWR/CHI-EWR works. That's 5 segments on the one fare. If you actually want to "spend money", then... anything you want really . YHZ-YYJ-EWR might have some reasonably priced multiple-segment options.
Well, literally so. I've not gotten power tools to work at all recently. Is it actually possible to feed an agent 5(*2) segments if it's legal?
RangerNS is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2024, 9:23 am
  #231  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,819
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Well, literally so. I've not gotten power tools to work at all recently. Is it actually possible to feed an agent 5(*2) segments if it's legal?
Yes, if they're competent and willing.

I was once hung up on after booking an EYW itinerary and said I had 8 more to book.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2024, 9:20 pm
  #232  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: HKG
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, ANA Platinum, JAL JGC, CX Silver, AC 25K, etc.
Posts: 8
If SQD is not a problem, which one is easier to be achieved to reach 50K, SQM or SQD? (backpain issue so no long-haul Y)
Pandaaaa is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2024, 9:28 pm
  #233  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: YVR ✈ SYD
Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by Pandaaaa
If SQD is not a problem, which one is easier to be achieved to reach 50K, SQM or SQD? (backpain issue so no long-haul Y)
I think you mean SQS, and I can only speak for myself, but I think most people would agree that one long trip is far better than many many short trips.

...but I first qualified for SE on SQS, so \_(ツ)_/
canadiancow and Pandaaaa like this.
mistytalon is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2024, 9:37 pm
  #234  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,819
Originally Posted by Pandaaaa
If SQD is not a problem, which one is easier to be achieved to reach 50K, SQM or SQD? (backpain issue so no long-haul Y)
Originally Posted by mistytalon
I think you mean SQS, and I can only speak for myself, but I think most people would agree that one long trip is far better than many many short trips.

...but I first qualified for SE on SQS, so \_(ツ)_/
Agreed. I've had years where I only qualified on SQS, only qualified on SQM, or did both.

For weekend transcon trips (not MRs), I found SQS to be easier to do. SFO-YVR-YUL-YOW-YYZ with YVR-YUL as a red-eye meant I wasn't taking much time away from work or my actual weekend, but racking up the SQS.

But it was brutal, and I refuse to do that any more.

SFO-YVR-HKG takes way longer, but it earns a ton of SQM.

So really, the question is what you want to do. If you're sitting at 45 SQS and 20k SQM, I'd vote for the SQS route. 20 SQS and 45k SQM, I'd vote for SQM. If you're at 25/25k, then I'd argue you shouldn't even bother.

If you're at 40/40k, I'd probably go for the SQM, simply because you can do it in two transcon round-trips if you book anything above Flex.
canadiancow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.