Old Jan 14, 2024, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Template for Requests

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2024 Mileage Runs

Old May 26, 2024, 4:06 am
  #151  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,809
I just boarded the third segment of SFO-YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-SFO.

So far so good. Even changed the first SFO-YYZ to have dinner with my dad.

Luckily all the LGAs are overnights, so I'll have many hours in a real bed. But this feels a little bit like EYW with my struggle to get boarding passes ("sir, your flight isn't for two days" "uh, the first one is in 12 hours" followed by 20 minutes on the phone with the help desk).

Though unlike EYW, I have the majority of my time in pods, and 3 meals in the SS.

$2400 USD plus the Aeroplan positioning bookends is a pretty good deal for this, but I might want to kill myself next weekend when I conclude with 5 hours back to SFO on a narrow body.
canadiancow is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 9:46 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I just boarded the third segment of SFO-YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-SFO.

So far so good. Even changed the first SFO-YYZ to have dinner with my dad.

Luckily all the LGAs are overnights, so I'll have many hours in a real bed. But this feels a little bit like EYW with my struggle to get boarding passes ("sir, your flight isn't for two days" "uh, the first one is in 12 hours" followed by 20 minutes on the phone with the help desk).

Though unlike EYW, I have the majority of my time in pods, and 3 meals in the SS.

$2400 USD plus the Aeroplan positioning bookends is a pretty good deal for this, but I might want to kill myself next weekend when I conclude with 5 hours back to SFO on a narrow body.
How could it possible to book such crazy itinerary ? What's 'Aeroplane positioning bookends? ' Thanks.

what will be the cost (in economy) for below?
YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ
lespoir likes this.

Last edited by andy12345; May 26, 2024 at 9:52 am
andy12345 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 10:08 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 1,277
Originally Posted by andy12345
How could it possible to book such crazy itinerary ? What's 'Aeroplane positioning bookends? ' Thanks.

what will be the cost (in economy) for below?
YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ
I don't believe the Cow is flying that in Y...but I would like to know how he found all that for $2400...there must be a special "Cow Tool" LOL

He's based out of SFO so I assume the bookends are Aeroplan Reward flights to get him to/from YYZ based on the string above.
billdokes is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 10:08 am
  #154  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,809
Originally Posted by andy12345
How could it possible to book such crazy itinerary ? What's 'Aeroplane positioning bookends? ' Thanks.

what will be the cost (in economy) for below?
YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YUL-LGA-YYZ-CPH-YYZ
It's four four-segment PNRs. Pretty easy to book online.
The Aeroplan positioning bookend is a SFO-CPH-SFO Aeroplan ticket.

Each of the CPH-LGA-CPH were $800 USD. In business.

I have no idea what it would cost to book that in economy, because I wouldn't do it.
ffsim, billdokes and YOWgary like this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 11:12 am
  #155  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Posts: 26
Thanks. CPH-LGA-CPH 800USD in Business is great deal. CPH-YYZ pair in Y will cost more
andy12345 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 12:35 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,312
Originally Posted by billdokes
I don't believe the Cow is flying that in Y...but I would like to know how he found all that for $2400...there must be a special "Cow Tool" LOL
The special "Cow Tool" was the premium fare deals thread. The fare was posted there, but I didn't get a chance to look until a couple of hours later and there was practically nothing left in the date ranges that I tried.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
vancouver25k is online now  
Old May 26, 2024, 12:39 pm
  #157  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,809
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
The special "Cow Tool" was the premium fare deals thread. The fare was posted there, but I didn't get a chance to look until a couple of hours later and there was practically nothing left in the date ranges that I tried.
Yeah if you want to call FlyerTalk a "cowtool" meaning "a tool that cow uses", sure.

But https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/ (and you can set an email subscription to be notified whenever a new thread is posted) is a great way to find good deals. This one happened to be "book as many as I can while the deal's active as an MR" territory, but there a lot of sub-20cpm J deals posted there, which is pretty good, when you consider that SE's base requirements are 20cpm before taxes/fees.

But under 10 cents per LQM in J? Yeah, that's "shut up boss, I have to book some flights, leave me alone".
canadiancow is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 1:19 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Posts: 323
wow do you ever get hassled by customs entering/reentering Denmark or Canada so frequently (assuming you're US citizen), cow?
trek604 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 2:08 pm
  #159  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MLL / AC Cafe
Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Posts: 5,714
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah if you want to call FlyerTalk a "cowtool" meaning "a tool that cow uses", sure.

But https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/ (and you can set an email subscription to be notified whenever a new thread is posted) is a great way to find good deals. This one happened to be "book as many as I can while the deal's active as an MR" territory, but there a lot of sub-20cpm J deals posted there, which is pretty good, when you consider that SE's base requirements are 20cpm before taxes/fees.

But under 10 cents per LQM in J? Yeah, that's "shut up boss, I have to book some flights, leave me alone".
I'm currently on a comp-up J 6.2 CPM this weekend.

But my connection in YUL is high risk, looks like I'll be landing from IAH in YUL at 17:20 and my YUL to YVR gate door closes at 17:55, 49 --> 50 but need to do customs, ITD OSS gives me a chance I'll make it with a bit of a run.
Sean Peever is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 2:20 pm
  #160  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,809
Originally Posted by trek604
wow do you ever get hassled by customs entering/reentering Denmark or Canada so frequently (assuming you're US citizen), cow?
I have two passports (CA/US), and I haven't entered Denmark yet. Though my shower this morning in the ex-Schengen PP lounge was the worst I've ever had in an airport, so I may do the trek on my next immediate turn.

I've certainly had questions before, but honesty is always the best option. I may be doing something "stupid", but it's perfectly legal.

Today was just "any alcohol, [something I don't recall], or tobacco?"

When you're upfront and honest, they don't care (as long as it's all legal).

I'm not saying I've never been sent to secondary during a MR, or had thorough questioning during primary. But most border agents know what a mileage run is. And if you have the boarding passes to back it up...

The worst I had was an EYW where AC@BOS made a call that resulted in CBP searching my bags in the jet bridge. But again, I was not doing anything illegal, so other than a couple embarrassing minutes, it was fine.
​​​​​​
Just don't stumble through an "uhhh ummm I'm just uh dropping something off with a friend?"

Honesty. Honesty. Honesty.

But if you're entering the a country where you're not a citizen, you're much better off letting a citizen companion go to the officer immediately prior to you

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I'm currently on a comp-up J 6.2 CPM this weekend.

But my connection in YUL is high risk, looks like I'll be landing from IAH in YUL at 17:20 and my YUL to YVR gate door closes at 17:55, 49 --> 50 but need to do customs, ITD OSS gives me a chance I'll make it with a bit of a run.
You'll be fine

I was less than 20 aircraft door to TB MLL, and I got confused by the TB construction which cost me a couple minutes.
folkart, Sean Peever and trek604 like this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 3:07 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have two passports (CA/US), and I haven't entered Denmark yet. Though my shower this morning in the ex-Schengen PP lounge was the worst I've ever had in an airport, so I may do the trek on my next immediate turn.

I've certainly had questions before, but honesty is always the best option. I may be doing something "stupid", but it's perfectly legal.

Today was just "any alcohol, [something I don't recall], or tobacco?"

When you're upfront and honest, they don't care (as long as it's all legal).

I'm not saying I've never been sent to secondary during a MR, or had thorough questioning during primary. But most border agents know what a mileage run is. And if you have the boarding passes to back it up...

The worst I had was an EYW where AC@BOS made a call that resulted in CBP searching my bags in the jet bridge. But again, I was not doing anything illegal, so other than a couple embarrassing minutes, it was fine.
​​​​​​
Just don't stumble through an "uhhh ummm I'm just uh dropping something off with a friend?"

Honesty. Honesty. Honesty.

But if you're entering the a country where you're not a citizen, you're much better off letting a citizen companion go to the officer immediately prior to you

You'll be fine

I was less than 20 aircraft door to TB MLL, and I got confused by the TB construction which cost me a couple minutes.
I totally agree with Cow. 90%+ of my Customs experiences are at most a small delay. I cross a lot of borders and the only thing I would add is answer every question honestly but don't (except where required or relevant) answer questions not asked or go into details that are not necessary. Be polite, truthful and concise in your answers.

Last edited by folkart; May 26, 2024 at 3:29 pm
folkart is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 4:56 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 5,862
Originally Posted by folkart
the only thing I would add is answer every question honestly but don't (except where required or relevant) answer questions not asked or go into details that are not necessary. Be polite, truthful and concise in your answers.
QUESTION: “Do you know what time it is?”

CORRECT ANSWER: “Yes, ma’am.”

If they want more detail, they won’t be shy about asking.
folkart likes this.
YOWgary is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 8:21 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MEX
Programs: AC E75K
Posts: 4,232
Originally Posted by trek604
wow do you ever get hassled by customs entering/reentering Denmark or Canada so frequently (assuming you're US citizen), cow?
Denmark probably doesn't raise red flags as easily, but my mileage run to CAI last year landed me in a windowless room at YYZ (under US CBP jurisdiction), an experience so unpleasant I cancelled a remaining round-trip to CAI and swore off MRs forever. Let's see if I end up breaking that promise to myself.
capedreamer is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 8:54 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: YKF
Programs: AC 50K, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Denmark probably doesn't raise red flags as easily, but my mileage run to CAI last year landed me in a windowless room at YYZ (under US CBP jurisdiction), an experience so unpleasant I cancelled a remaining round-trip to CAI and swore off MRs forever. Let's see if I end up breaking that promise to myself.

Dang that is unfortunate, sorry to hear about your experience. On the bright side if there is one, they at least stopped you from flying Egypt Air!
billdokes likes this.
kronos80 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 9:04 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MEX
Programs: AC E75K
Posts: 4,232
Originally Posted by kronos80
Dang that is unfortunate, sorry to hear about your experience. On the bright side if there is one, they at least stopped you from flying Egypt Air!
lol I thought that might lead to confusion, but I meant MR = mileage run.
capedreamer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.