Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
As of February 16, 2024, SOME have reported received their bonus points (received for all flights, or only for some flights), so stop asking and stop creating new threads about it.
AFTER AC WORKS OUT THEIR USUAL BS, WE WILL ALL GET OUR BONUS POINTS.
YES, IT SUCKS. WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!

Q: What are Elite Status Bonus Points?
A: Elite Status Bonus Points give those with AC elite status the choice to earn bonus Aeroplan points for flights operated by AC or a small number of partners. (Note: Elite Status Bonus Points are only Aeroplan points, not Status Qualifying Miles (SQM))

Q: Why is this a choice? Are these bonus points not automatic like they are on many airlines?
A: No, bonus points are not automatic. They are one of the “Select Benefits” that elites get to choose each year.

Q: What are the eligible partners?
A:
  • Air Canada (including AC Express flights operated by Jazz and other regional carriers, as well as rouge)
  • United
  • Copa
  • Certain Lufthansa Group airlines:
    • Brands included (including flights operated by regional carriers on their behalf):
      • Lufthansa
      • SWISS
      • Austrian
      • Brussels
    • Brands NOT included (non-exhaustive list, as Lufthansa is constantly adding/changing brands; if it’s not one of the above, it’s not included):
      • Eurowings
      • Discover Air
      • Edewleiss (flights operated by WK but booked as LX8000-8499 will be treated as LX and bonus miles will be awarded; does not apply to flight numbers outside this range)

Q: Do codeshares impact bonus points? For example, if I book an AC codeshare of an ANA-operated flight, will I get bonus miles? Or if I’m on an AC flight that was marketed by Thai?
A: Bonus points are based entirely on operating carrier; marketing carrier is irrelevant. A segment operated by an eligible carrier will earn bonus points, one operated by an ineligible carrier won’t. In the examples above, the ANA flight will not earn bonus points, because it’s operated by an ineligible partner; the AC-operated flight will earn bonus points – the fact it was a codeshare sold by Thai doesn’t matter.

Q: How many bonus points will I earn?
A:
  • If the flight is operated by AC, UA, or CM, the bonus depends on status:
    • 25K: 25%
    • 35K: 35%
    • 50K: 50%
    • 75K: 75%
    • SE: 100%
  • If the flight is operated by one of the eligible LH Group airlines, the bonus is 25%, regardless of your status
(Minor detail: for the status-based bonuses, AC rounds up or down. For the LH Group 25%, AC always rounds down. For example, a person with 25K status on a 250-mile route would earn 63 points on a segment operated by AC, but 62 points on a segment operated by LH)

Q: What exactly does that mean – [x]% of what number?
A: Please read carefully. The bonus is only as a percentage of the base miles on the applicable flight. There are a couple of important points to understand.
  • Fares that earn less than 100% of miles flown: your bonus points are based on the already-reduced earning for the fare class. If you buy a flight that earns at a 50% rate, and you have 75K status, you will earn [miles flown] x [50% fare earn base miles] x [75% bonus] = [miles flown] x 37.5%
  • Fares that earn more than 100% of miles flown: because AC structures these as 100% base miles plus a “Class of Service Bonus”, you will only earn on the miles flown, and not the class of service bonus. If you buy a flight that earns at 150% and have 75K status, you will earn [miles flown] x [100% fare earn base miles] * [75% bonus] = [miles flown] x 75%
  • Routes that are under 250 miles: the 250-mile minimum applies to bonus points as well, so earning is based on that distance rather than miles flown

Q: Can you give me some more specific examples?
A:
Sure. Click on the spoiler below to expand a few examples
Spoiler

Q: Do I only get the bonus after I’ve selected it as a benefit?
A: No. Once you choose the benefit, it will be retroactive to the beginning of the calendar year, unless your status has changed during the year.

Q: What happens if my status changes during the year?
A: The bonus points are retroactive to when you achieved the status in question. If you had no status then qualified for 25K on May 30, the bonus would apply on all flights on or after May 31. If you started the year as a 35K then qualified for 50K partway through the year, you would get the 35% bonus for the portion of the year when you were 35K, and 50% for the portion you were 50K.

Important caveat: you need to select your benefits at each status level. If you didn’t select the bonus while you were 35K (either because you chose something else or didn’t choose benefits at all), you can’t choose the bonus at 50K and get the miles for the time you were 35K. Likewise, if you choose the bonus at 35K then don’t choose it at 50K, you’ll stop earning the bonus once your 50K status kicks in. Once your status level changes, you can’t select benefits for the previous status.

Print Wikipost

Elite Status Bonus Points

Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Elite Status Bonus Points

Based on member feedback and a large number of similar questions coming up over time, we need a thread specific to the Elite Status Bonus Points benefit. Details in the wiki.

I think I've correctly described how it works with early recognition/status changes, but someone please correct it if necessary.

If you are having any issues with missing bonus points, please post in this thread.
taupo, jellson, folkart and 10 others like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 30, 2024 at 5:25 am
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:00 am

Programs: AC SE
Great idea. Would it be worth explicitly stating that Elite Status Bonus Points are not SQM? That seems to come up fairly frequently. Maybe it's as simple as something like this: "Elite Status Bonus Points give those with AC elite status the choice to earn bonus Aeroplan points for flights operated by AC or a small number of partners. Note: The Elite Status Bonus applies to Aeroplan points, not Status Qualifying Miles (SQM)."
jellson, billdokes and warpdryv like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Great idea. Would it be worth explicitly stating that Elite Status Bonus Points are not SQM? That seems to come up fairly frequently. Maybe it's as simple as something like this: "Elite Status Bonus Points give those with AC elite status the choice to earn bonus Aeroplan points for flights operated by AC or a small number of partners. Note: The Elite Status Bonus applies to Aeroplan points, not Status Qualifying Miles (SQM)."
Sounds like a good idea Wikis can be edited by anyone with 90 posts and 90 days on FT, and you certainly meet those criteria...
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Are your 2024 status bonus miles posting?
SQM/D/S for January 02 flights posted within about three days.
SE Bonus not posted
Is this a normal new year delay?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by taupo
Are your 2024 status bonus miles posting?
SQM/D/S for January 02 flights posted within about three days.
SE Bonus not posted
Is this a normal new year delay?
Did you select your 2024 benefits yet?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cavitron
Did you select your 2024 benefits yet?
Yep, a few days ago
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
Yep, a few days ago
I imagine that it'll take a few days for the benefit to take effect. Nothing is working properly right now while the transition happen, but the credit should eventually show up,
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
For the selection if waiting till July to delay the eup expiry date what happens if I select 50% more mile (50k) if we fly Jan-July. Do you get retroactively a 50% increase on all the flights prior? Or does it only give you the 50% from July to Dec? Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
For the selection if waiting till July to delay the eup expiry date what happens if I select 50% more mile (50k) if we fly Jan-July. Do you get retroactively a 50% increase on all the flights prior? Or does it only give you the 50% from July to Dec? Thanks!
The bonus miles are retroactive to the start of the year.
canadianhockey91 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Sounds like a good idea Wikis can be edited by anyone with 90 posts and 90 days on FT, and you certainly meet those criteria...
For what it's worth, I had to wait 6 months before I could edit wikis.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:55 am

A: Bonus points are based entirely on operating carrier; marketing carrier is irrelevant. A segment operated by an eligible carrier will earn bonus points, one operated by an ineligible carrier won’t. In the examples above, the ANA flight will not earn bonus points, because it’s operated by an ineligible partner; the AC-operated flight will earn bonus points – the fact it was a codeshare sold by Thai doesn’t matter.
There are some exceptions to this. My CPT-ZRH on LX-marketed (LX8087) WK-operated flight (WK87) posted under LX flight number (as if it’s “operated” by LX) and earned the 25% bonus.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
There are some exceptions to this. My CPT-ZRH on LX-marketed (LX8087) WK-operated flight (WK87) posted under LX flight number (as if it’s “operated” by LX) and earned the 25% bonus.
Aeroplan website stipulates that SWISS flight range LX 8000-8499 (operated by Edelweiss) are included.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
I don't think there are exceptions. I think that's the exception. But if there are others, you could certainly add them to the wiki.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It is interesting, though, that the official benefit says:
Earn bonus Aeroplan points on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada Rouge, Copa Airlines and United. Also earn a bonus on eligible flights operated by Austrian, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa and Swiss.
That flight is not operated by OS/SN/LH/LX, so per the actual terms, it should not qualify.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It is interesting, though, that the official benefit says:

That flight is not operated by OS/SN/LH/LX, so per the actual terms, it should not qualify.
That range of WK flights is treated, for all intents and purposes (e.g. SQM earning), as though it's operated by LX though, so it makes sense that it does.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.