Air Canada Black Friday 2023

Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Air Canada Black Friday 2023

AC has begun to announce their Black Friday deals.

At this point they've announced that they will distribute 50,000,000 points between everyone who registers for the offer and then books at least one flight or vacation.

They have also announced some offers related to vacations, hotel stays, and rental cars (3x Aeroplan points and up to 30% off base rates at Avis and Budget). And then there's a Mystery Bonus Offer when purchasing Aeroplan points.

However, the small print shows that there is more to come that is of significantly more interest—a Choose Your Bonus offer where there will be bonus Aeroplan points on purchases (50% bonus in economy, 100% bonus in business class) or 5%/1000 points (whichever is greater) back on redemptions. Those offers begin November 16 and 17. So I suggest waiting to book flights for a few days.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
In the small print for the forthcoming Choose Your Bonus: Accumulation Offer it says, "Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion, including for certainty, points earned in conjunction with the Aeroplan Elite Status bonus which are expressly excluded from this Offer."

Wouldn't this mean the offer is meaningless for SuperElites who chose the Aeroplan Elite Status Bonus as one of their select benefits? And also meaningless for 50K and up on economy bookings (assuming they also took the bonus as a select benefit)?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:27 am
awt

I know buying points are generally not worth it unless you need to top-off for a trip but they have a BF deal right now where you get 125% back in points. Is that not too bad, since I usually only see 80 percent max.

Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
In the small print for the forthcoming Choose Your Bonus: Accumulation Offer it says, "Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion, including for certainty, points earned in conjunction with the Aeroplan Elite Status bonus which are expressly excluded from this Offer."

Wouldn't this mean the offer is meaningless for SuperElites who chose the Aeroplan Elite Status Bonus as one of their select benefits? And also meaningless for 50K and up on economy bookings (assuming they also took the bonus as a select benefit)?
No, someone asks this every time there's a promotion. It means you don't get your SE 100% bonus on THESE bonus points.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Each of my family's accounts got caped at a 100% bonus.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8a966e1e41.png

Shame since I am in the market to replenish points. Aeroplan is basically advertising to me that they are giving others much better deal.

Ad a data point, all 3 are SE100k, US residents, balances in the low 6 figures, and have zero former Aeroplan points purchases.

I'd be a buyer at 1.1 us cents/point but they can keep them at 1.3 us cents/point.

N​​​​​ot sure if any of this affects their who gets 125% algorithm?
awt likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 13, 2023 at 8:14 pm
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by expert7700

Shame since I am in the market to replenish points. Aeroplan is basically advertising to me that they are giving others much better deal.

Ad a data point, all 3 are SE100k, US residents, balances in the low 6 figures, and have zero former Aeroplan points purchases.

I'd be a buyer at 1.1 us cents/point but they can keep them at 1.3 us cents/point.

fyi, wife and I are 75k, current points balance in the high 6 figures and both got the offer at 100% only.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I got 110%. Though, I'm not in the market for any extra Aeroplan points.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:50 am
awt

Originally Posted by expert7700

Maybe I should buy some points. If I purchase $3500cad worth, I'd be entitled to 225K. If I do an LAX-SIN roundtrip on SQ J class, it would be 175K plus whatever tax. Not bad at all I suppose since SQ J fares are usually $6600cad on the low end. Hmmmm tempting.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, someone asks this every time there's a promotion. It means you don't get your SE 100% bonus on THESE bonus points.
Good luck in getting this credit afterwards however if it doesn't post automatically. I ran into this with a promo earlier this year, and was told both over the phone (escalating to a supervisor), and e-mail that I was not eligible citing this clause. Via e-mail I also tried to clarify and explain this, but I never got a further response and past the original (which took them several weeks to reply to in the first place).

AC needs to clarify the wording in their T&C if this is indeed their intent.
TheCanuckian and aquanine like this.

Last edited by yvr76; Nov 13, 2023 at 7:48 pm
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: TK *G
Lol will AC release additional reward spaces in accordance to the additional points issued?

Not sure if this is a "promotion", or a devaluation.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by songsc
Lol will AC release additional reward spaces in accordance to the additional points issued?

Not sure if this is a "promotion", or a devaluation.
As long as there is capacity, every seat is already available on AC as a reward seat, so I'm not sure what you mean.
billdokes and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
As long as there is capacity, every seat is already available on AC as a reward seat, so I'm not sure what you mean.
More points issued => More flights being redeemed => Less availability at lower redemption level => More points required to book flights.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:48 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Airlines are basically banks with their own currencies. They are injecting money into the system with the usual expected results. The only upside is that the vast majority of Aeroplan users use it as 'I want to go from point A to point B on dates X, Y & Z' rather than looking for great value for point on selected routes and probably not J routes so this should only net more revenue for AC and more points purchases to predicable destinations during peak times. Family trips etc. My 2 cents...
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by songsc
More points issued => More flights being redeemed => Less availability at lower redemption level => More points required to book flights.
Sure, but exactly where do you think that "additional reward spaces" are going to come from? Are you asking if they are adding more / new flights?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Sure, but exactly where do you think that "additional reward spaces" are going to come from? Are you asking if they are adding more / new flights?
You guys are getting this wrong. What will happen is, the miles required will go up. Balance out again. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.