Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Relative Value of Aeroplan points vs Bonvoy points

Relative Value of Aeroplan points vs Bonvoy points

Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
Posts: 191
Relative Value of Aeroplan points vs Bonvoy points

Like a lot of people, I have Aeroplan and Bonvoy status.

I have an Aeroplan AmEx Reserve card and a Bonvoy AmEx.

I have a plan as to how to use them to get to whatever status I can reasonably achieve in any calendar year.

My question is whether people have a view as to the optimal use of the cards once desired status has been reached.

How do people value 25,000 AP points, 4,000 SQM and 4 SQS versus 100,000 Bonvoy points once one has already reached SE and Titanium / Ambassador in the qualifying year?
YYJ _SLF is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:08 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Foothills County, Alta
Programs: Westjet, Air Canada, Best Western, Marriott
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by YYJ _SLF
Like a lot of people, I have Aeroplan and Bonvoy status.

I have an Aeroplan AmEx Reserve card and a Bonvoy AmEx.

I have a plan as to how to use them to get to whatever status I can reasonably achieve in any calendar year.

My question is whether people have a view as to the optimal use of the cards once desired status has been reached.

How do people value 25,000 AP points, 4,000 SQM and 4 SQS versus 100,000 Bonvoy points once one has already reached SE and Titanium / Ambassador in the qualifying year?
I find Aeroplan has a much great value than Bonvoy. Bonvoy value has decreased so badly, I usually use other hotel chains. Aeroplan, I usually get $2 of value for $1 spent with AC.
vernonc likes this.
foothills county flier is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by foothills county flier
I find Aeroplan has a much great value than Bonvoy. Bonvoy value has decreased so badly, I usually use other hotel chains. Aeroplan, I usually get $2 of value for $1 spent with AC.
I am trying to game out which card to use for my roughly $30,000 annual spend at Marriott properties.

Do I take 37,500 AP points, 6,000 SQM and 6
SQS or 150,000 Bonvoy points if I am going to remain SE either way?

My inclination is to use my Bonvoy AmEx at Bonvoy properties and my AP AmEx everywhere else unless I decide to go OW for international travel and WS for domestic travel which is currently on the table.
YYJ _SLF is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
Posts: 2,405
Aeroplan on a SE priority reward on a redemption with NH (not possible right now) Vancouver to Tokyo would be 27500 Aeroplan points one way (is one way business class to Japan worth 2k?). That's one of the better values in Aeroplan. 150k bonvoy points could get you 5 nights at a fairly decent hotel (1-2k value). Also the bonvoy points are much easier to redeem.
Nitehawk is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2023, 1:52 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: AC 75k
Posts: 703
It is entirely dependent on how you spend your AE points. Do you piece together complex international trips sourcing the rare fixed redemptions for a better return or just drop the points on whatever personal flights you are taking? Do you use all your points and Priority rewards in a given year?
When and where do you stay? My spending habits where I save the points unless they are above a certain floor value would put the two potentially equivalent in dollar value to me, but all things equal I would diversify my chances for points redemption and take the 150k Bonvoy.
FlY2XS is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:37 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: YUL find me in Montreal
Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 655
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Aeroplan on a SE priority reward on a redemption with NH (not possible right now) Vancouver to Tokyo would be 27500 Aeroplan points one way (is one way business class to Japan worth 2k?). That's one of the better values in Aeroplan. 150k bonvoy points could get you 5 nights at a fairly decent hotel (1-2k value). Also the bonvoy points are much easier to redeem.
Funny that you'd mention NH in a conversation about Bonvoy. I'm working on booking some hotels for my next Japan trip and one thing I've learned the hard way is that Marriott has well under 100 properties in the entire country. Contrast this with Marriott's presence in Canada, which has one third the population but four times as many properties.

So they have a lot of catching up to do in Japan. Maybe they need to just straight up buy APA or Toyoko.
warrens is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:51 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Posts: 1,898
Originally Posted by YYJ _SLF
I am trying to game out which card to use for my roughly $30,000 annual spend at Marriott properties.

Do I take 37,500 AP points, 6,000 SQM and 6
SQS or 150,000 Bonvoy points if I am going to remain SE either way?

My inclination is to use my Bonvoy AmEx at Bonvoy properties and my AP AmEx everywhere else unless I decide to go OW for international travel and WS for domestic travel which is currently on the table.
If you go with Bonvoy and find yourself needing AP.. 150k Bonvoy transfers to 60k AP.

Ron.
Nitehawk and FlY2XS like this.
newfbc is offline  
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:56 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Posts: 4,399
Originally Posted by YYJ _SLF
I am trying to game out which card to use for my roughly $30,000 annual spend at Marriott properties.

Do I take 37,500 AP points, 6,000 SQM and 6
SQS or 150,000 Bonvoy points if I am going to remain SE either way?

My inclination is to use my Bonvoy AmEx at Bonvoy properties and my AP AmEx everywhere else unless I decide to go OW for international travel and WS for domestic travel which is currently on the table.
I use Amex Bonvoy for Marriott/Sheraton and Aeroplan for everything else. I find the redemption using Bonvoy very expensive, IHG was much better. AE redemptions are much better value specially using Priority rewards for International J. Ex some of the hotels in London were 45K points/night. The hotels were approx GBP300/night. YYZ-BOM rtn in J was 150K + $200. I have not tried to book hotels recently with AE so not sure if the redemption is better than Bonvoy points. If I was making status on both with stays/flights, I would move all the spend to AE. My 2 cents.
vernonc is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:05 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Edmonton
Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 144
I use my Bonvoy card for stays at Marriott. I try to balance the ponts between the 2 programs. But I only use my Marriott points when I can get 2-4 cents per point redemptions. Usually at hotels that would cost $1000 plus per night. I did the Ko Olina last January 10 nights at 35K points a night. Room was going for 1000 USD per night. Going to the Maldives in March on points.

Basically I save up my Bonvoy points to stay at properties I wouldn't pay cash for as they are too expensive. But I have a lot of Aeroplan points so like I said I try to balance both.
boomerfss is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:26 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 851
I have found that points transfers from Amex for example can be turned into more $$ value with Aeroplan vs. Bonvoy, especially if you are using those points to redeem for long haul PY or J.

Amex transfers from to AC are 1:1 and to Bonvoy they are 5:6...so transferring 100k Membership Rewards points gets you 120k points with Marriott which is worth probably 4 nights at a property in NA that will cost you around $200/night, so $800 in relative value. Meanwhile, you could possibly redeem your 100k Aeroplan points for a "J" ticket TATL that could cost $4k and then stretch those points even further if you have a Priority Reward to burn so for me the math is pretty easy.

I've seen sometimes there is better Bonvoy redemption value at some European properties or as boomerfss suggests when you get those occasions where the cash rate is absurd for whatever reason but the property can be had for a modest number of points.

Basically, I choose to earn Bonvoy points from staying at Marriott properties but don't go out of my way to earn them in other ways or transfer into the program when I can get such better relative value with Aeroplan.
billdokes is online now  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:06 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: AC 75k
Posts: 703
I don't think that people are answering the question here. It is obvious that AE points are more valuable than Bonvoy overall.
Question was simply are bonus 37500 AE points plus 6k SQM better than 150k Bonvoy. AS newfbc points out, those 150k can be swapped for 60K right now. Last I checked 60>37.5 by a wide margin even for the "AE points are better" crowd.
Since OP is making SE already, those 6k SQM carry minimal value.
FlY2XS is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:24 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: IHG Gold
Posts: 4,807
Originally Posted by warrens
Funny that you'd mention NH in a conversation about Bonvoy. I'm working on booking some hotels for my next Japan trip and one thing I've learned the hard way is that Marriott has well under 100 properties in the entire country. Contrast this with Marriott's presence in Canada, which has one third the population but four times as many properties.

So they have a lot of catching up to do in Japan. Maybe they need to just straight up buy APA or Toyoko.
Tokyoko Inns and APA are multiple steps down from a Bonvoy property. Can't see them buying those chains ever.
mapleg is offline  
Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:18 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Prince Edward Island
Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Posts: 1,579
I generally find aeroplan to be better value, although rising hotel prices have resulted in some attractive Marriott redemptions. Rather than earning dedicated points on an aeroplan and bonvoy card, I prefer to earn on an amex membership rewards card. That way, you can decide which program to transfer them to when you want to make a redemption.They all offer 1-to-1 transfers to aeroplan and 5-to-6 redemptions to bonvoy
Low Roller is offline  
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:23 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
Posts: 191
Thank you all for your input which has helped me clarify my thinking.

We are definitely sub optimal users of AP points and less sub optimal users of Bonvoy points.

Our AP points are exclusively used by our adult kids who use them for domestic flights to visit family at roughly a 1.3c redemption rate.

Our e-ups and priority awards always expire with zero value.

We can get roughly 1.5c from our Bonvoy points relatively easily.

The redemption value of our AP points may well improve next year when we can gift both of our adult kids E50K status as we are now both SE for the first time.

Bonvoy money spent at Bonvoy properties on a Bonvoy AmEx card accumulate at roughly a 4X rate compared to the same spend on an AP card at a Bonvoy property.

AP and Bonvoy points are worth about the same in my use case yet Bonvoy points are much easier to earn from credit card spend at Bonvoy properties.

Another substantial difference is that Bonvoy gives the equivalent of SQx for award bookings while AP gives zero SQx for award bookings.

It is easy to feel appreciated as a customer while booking Bonvoy reward stays and completely ignored as a customer while booking AP reward flights.

The basic arithmetic supports collecting Bonvoy points and converting them to AP points as a last resort.

Yet another reason to recognise that AC does not understand that commercial relationships are mutual.

It remains to be seen whether their point of view will be validated or vanquished the next time that the economy gets softer.
boomerfss likes this.
YYJ _SLF is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.