Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Recent phishing scams (2023)

Question: Recent phishing scams (2023)

Old Jul 27, 2023, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Recent phishing scams (2023)

There is a new email making rounds. I suspect a phishing attempt, but will not click through to confirm my suspicions. ;-)

Screenshot of a new scam
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by blue2002
There is a new email making rounds. I suspect a phishing attempt, but will not click through to confirm my suspicions. ;-)

Screenshot of a new scam
You may want to obscure your own email address in the screenshot.
SPG_Fan likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Ivory Actuary
You may want to obscure your own email address in the screenshot.
The "valleyautomotive" one? That's not mine.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
That's why I am worried about adding my mom to my Aeroplan family. I know we can add her to the family with no ability to redeem points but still.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by blue2002
I received it this morning, from an address at aerop.com, which I guess was the best they could do. I opened the link in an incognito window in a disposable linux VM, and it goes to a reasonably convincing-looking AC login page on a totally different domain. Surely somebody will fall for it and lose their points, which sucks.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Recent phishing scams

Hi All,

Not sure how many people on this forum got this one. The email offer comes from:

Air Canada <[email protected]>

They are asking to fill a survey and then claim the $500 AC gift card by providing personal information AND paying $1.95 UPS charge.

It looks like a scam. First, strange email source, second why would it be sent by UPS, these days the gift cards are send electronically.

Any comments? Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:40 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
100% scam.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:40 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Totally looks like a scam. Given the number of these we've seen reported here, maybe we need a dedicated 'Is This a Scam?' thread.
salteen likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Totally looks like a scam. Given the number of these we've seen reported here, maybe we need a dedicated 'Is This a Scam?' thread.
I would second a dedicated thread and suggest including phishing scams as well. Some of the "hey we need to re-verify your password!" emails I've seen really worry me, because my elderly parents would fall for something like that. I like to see every example of what's floating around out there so I can screenshot it and say "mom don't click this".
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:07 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by salteen
I would second a dedicated thread and suggest including phishing scams as well. Some of the "hey we need to re-verify your password!" emails I've seen really worry me, because my elderly parents would fall for something like that. I like to see every example of what's floating around out there so I can screenshot it and say "mom don't click this".
Since I brought up the idea, I'll comb through recent posts and will forward that info to our friendly neighbourhood moderator.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:00 pm

Yes: Scam

Just to clarify for anyone finding their way here: it's a scam. This one managed to slip through Google mail and encryption checks, so it's well done on the backend, but still a scam (note no name -- just "Dear"). If you look at the email headers you can see ALL of the scams pushed out with this one mail. It's new and catching people, so report it to Air Canada ([email protected]) or the RCMP. Stay safe!
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Thanks a lot to all who have replied.

Till now, I have got the same scam email several more times.

As suggested, will report it as scam.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
In the last month or so, I have noticed a substantial increase in scam emails, over an array of products. Sometimes I will get a flood of 10-20 emails coming from the same scam over an hour. Most of these are not getting filter to my spam/junk folder. Have heard similar anecdotes from other people.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
No chance this isn't a scam.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: AC 25K
And, again…
kalderlake likes this.

Last edited by bual; Oct 20, 2023 at 3:26 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.