Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Reports of AP account shutdowns/frozen starting to appear

Old Oct 5, 2023, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

There have now been at least a handful of post indicating their account has been deactivated due to suspected fraud.

Of course what is interesting is that - the detail on these cases are very light - but seems to revolve around after a transfer from AMEX MR to Aeroplan - and - booking for family members not currently in AP program and not in pool. In one instance, it is clear that the sender is not the same as the recipient (I did not even bother to post the link on that one). There is also a case about cancelling Flex reward last minute (I forgot the link to that one)

Case 1: Reddit Link - 1 million AP account deactivated
Case 2: Reddit Link - AP Account Frozen
Case 3: FlyerTalk Link - AP Frozen after booking for family members
Case 4: Reddit : Require proof of residency status

Of course, just reviewing these cases posted online (with lack of details), one can't really draw a definitive conclusion. I feel that once you are suspected of violating T&C, then you are really in purgatory with compliance with little or no recourse.

With that being said, I think as AP user, we should be more cautious to exhibit some of these behaviors like booking flights for non family member (Especially multiple passengers, last minute), transferring AMEX MR from account whose name do not match, etc. What I am trying to say is that, despite honest effort, lets try not to get flagged by the algos!

Last edited by Ethelstan; Oct 5, 2023 at 9:43 pm
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My general opinion on this is that I suspect 90+% of the people were doing something fraudulent.

And I think the rest are going to have a really tough time they don't deserve, while they desperately fight with AC.
dw, beltway, The Lev and 13 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ethelstan
then you are really in purgatory with compliance with little or no recourse.
There is an escalation path/recourse. AP has an email address for this. What we don't have good data on based on these thread is what happens once AP compliance reviews the case? We will find out in 2-3 months.

With that being said, I think as AP user, we should be more cautious to exhibit some of these behaviors like booking flights for non family member (Especially multiple passengers, last minute), transferring AMEX MR from account whose name do not match, etc. What I am trying to say is that, despite honest effort, lets try not to get flagged by the algos!
The thing is booking reward flights for other people for example has always been allowed. My mom and our kid are not part of our AP family and we booked for them many times without any issue. I get that some people are abusing this and families, but as an innocent bystander don't want to get caught in the cross fire.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Case 2 only appeared on flyertalk to inquire about this. Two posts and then disappeared. Smelled like he was indeed a case in point...
msat likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
There have now been at least a handful of post indicating their account has been deactivated due to suspected fraud.

Of course what is interesting is that - the detail on these cases are very light - but seems to revolve around after a transfer from AMEX MR to Aeroplan - and - booking for family members not currently in AP program and not in pool. In one instance, it is clear that the sender is not the same as the recipient (I did not even bother to post the link on that one). There is also a case about cancelling Flex reward last minute (I forgot the link to that one)

Of course, just reviewing these cases posted online (with lack of details), one can't really draw a definitive conclusion. I feel that once you are suspected of violating T&C, then you are really in purgatory with compliance with little or no recourse.

I have booked priority rewards flights for people who are not my immediate family, not on my profile and also last minute. Booked for a friend whose sister passed away in India for travel the next day. Booked for my sister in law. Booked for my niece. All in J, all priority rewards. All within approx 3 month window. No one asked me anything but not worried as they were all legit bookings, I do not book for random people. Not sure what algorithms they use.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
I have booked priority rewards flights for people who are not my immediate family, not on my profile and also last minute. Booked for a friend whose sister passed away in India for travel the next day. Booked for my sister in law. Booked for my niece. All in J, all priority rewards. All within approx 3 month window. No one asked me anything but not worried as they were all legit bookings, I do not book for random people. Not sure what algorithms they use.

That might only be part of the pattern they look at. Should be in addition to recent transfer or recent family sharing set up which appear inconsistent or designed for rewards to unrelated people.
vernonc and relaxonbarton like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Wait..is it against the T&C to book a flight for a friend of mine using a PR? Ive done this many times (almost exclusively for a trip we are doing together though, albeit on separate reservations).
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by cmill007
Wait..is it against the T&C to book a flight for a friend of mine using a PR? Ive done this many times (almost exclusively for a trip we are doing together though, albeit on separate reservations).
It is not. People who have had Aeroplan accounts for years, and have significant flying activity with AC are generally not the accounts of concern. Also most of the accounts being targeted would likely not even have PRs to begin with.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
If it means that we can finally get partnership seats back, I am all for it.
I am stuck with 200K points, of which more than half was purchased with real money lmao.
Never done anything wrong so I guess no effects on my account. I just want to quickly using them soon lol.
AJchang likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
If it means that we can finally get partnership seats back, I am all for it.
I am stuck with 200K points, of which more than half was purchased with real money lmao.
Never done anything wrong so I guess no effects on my account. I just want to quickly using them soon lol.
Although I agree, their implementation seems flawed. I don't have family pooling but have booked quite a few awards for friends. The reports of last minute cancellations followed by account blocks are scary. I am sure quite a few "never done anything wrong" people will be flagged. Imagine having a flight cancelled week before departure with 30 day wait time to hear back.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Has me nervous tho. I had booked 2 rewards trips for members of the family group on the final day of one supposed promo only to have the new promo 2 days later show much better redemptions. So I doubled up with new bookings and cancelled the originals saving like 70k points in the process.
Given there had been one post stating only activity had been a cx and rebook I have been rechecking daily to ensure they remain whole.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Originally Posted by proscale
Although I agree, their implementation seems flawed. I don't have family pooling but have booked quite a few awards for friends. The reports of last minute cancellations followed by account blocks are scary. I am sure quite a few "never done anything wrong" people will be flagged. Imagine having a flight cancelled week before departure with 30 day wait time to hear back.
How do you acquire the points to book "quite a few awards for friends". Is it possible that the friends are paying for this in some other way? All of which is illegal according to the airline's T&Cs.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton
How do you acquire the points to book "quite a few awards for friends". Is it possible that the friends are paying for this in some other way? All of which is illegal according to the airline's T&Cs.
Not that you were asking me, but since I'm in the same situation, I have also booked tickets for various friends, and I assure you there was no payment, and the vast majority of my points were issued directly by Air Canada (not a bank).

I don't know why you'd assume someone was doing something illegal.
billdokes and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Oct 7, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
I was not questioning your or any other contributor's integrity.

However, the question remains for the original writer, whether it is possible that some people who book quite a few awards for friends are making a gift or an exchange for some other benefit.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Most of the alleged fraud bookings might be confirmed or absolved by a simple phone call from Aeroplan. But I guess they just do not have enough phone agents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.