Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC-->TG at HKG - how long to connect?

Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Hello -

I haven't connected through HKG before but have a flight next month that leaves me an hour to connect form AC to TG. Is that enough time? I'm travelling in J so will be first off, and could get the Concierge to meet me if it's necessary.

Your thoughts?
V.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
While I have not connected between AC and TG, I have done so between two UA flights inbound from SIN, outbound to ORD. One does not need to clear HKG Immigration and Customs [assume your bags will be checked through and AC can issue your TG boarding pass], but there will be a Security scan after a short walk to the central part of the Pier. After that, you take the escalator up to the departures area and can make your way back to the appropriate gate, or up to the 2nd floor mezannine TG lounge if you have time.

TG flights usually dock across from where AC's flight pulls up, but you cannot just cross the hallway. I would say the security clearance process takes about 15-minutes if you are near the front of your departing flight. As well, there are not likely to be as many connecting passengers as we had, since almost all those on our plane were connecting to other UA flights.

Hope you have the time, as the TG lounge is quite pleasant and has some good dim sum snacks. However, they serve Philippine rather than Thai beer for some odd reason. There are also two PCs hooked up to the internet, and as the lounge is seldom full, access to them is pretty good.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited Nov 21, 2003).]
Old Nov 21, 2003, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I've done the change in HK from an AC flight out of YVR and then onto a TG flight to BKK. Under normal circumstances, it's a pretty painless transfer (at least it was the last time I did it, which was in the spring of this year - having said that, I had a two hour layover). There is a transfer desk that you may have to get to (unless you can somehow get TG boarding passes upon checkin in Canada, but I didn't last time), but it's at a central hub of the pier.

An hour is a bit tight, though. Maybe you should give the concierge the heads up, especially if you have to get to the transfer desk.

I agree with Shareholder's comments about the TG lounge, which is on a mezzanine level above the shopping concourse. If you have time, enjoy it - it might be the last good TG lounge you'll get if you're inbound to Thailand (ever try the one in Chiang Mai ? Blech.)

[This message has been edited by grumbler (edited Nov 21, 2003).]
Old Nov 21, 2003, 1:46 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

AC007 is not actually the best in terms of OTP!! It'll be OT if you're lucky otherwise there's usually some sort of delay either out of YVR or strong head winds (it's winter) making it arrive late.

Try and give youself more than an hour if possible. Otherwise, there will be people meeting the flight even if you don't request it, they'll be able to help you out.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 2:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Based on my experience, one hour will be tight, especially if you have checked in baggage. If you need part of you baggage on day one, you may consider taking a hand carry..

Good Luck.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 3:06 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Yes, very good chance of that happening if YVR-HKG is late (which happens quite often during winter months). You'll make it but your bags won't!
Old Nov 21, 2003, 3:51 pm
exAC

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
Yes, very good chance of that happening if YVR-HKG is late (which happens quite often during winter months). You'll make it but your bags won't!</font>
My experience exactly. 007 close to an hour late [maintenance in YVR] which left 20 minutes to connect to UA to Singapore. We were met on arrival by a UA agent and made their flight, but baggage came along the next afternoon.

Old Nov 24, 2003, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the feedback!

I just checked my itinerary and it looks like I have 2 hours on the way over to connect but only an hour on the way back. Even if AC7 is late in getting to HKG, I'm in BKK for a few days before heading to SIN and DPS so at least my bags will have a chance to catch up with me if they don't make it!

Thanks again!
V.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:32 am

Sorry. I have posted this in the destination area but not receiving a response and need one quickly

How much time do I need in BKK if I have seperate tickets unfortunately. So in essence I need to go through immigration and all the the stuff ; get luggage then get back to departure area to check in with Bangkok Airways and through security to the gate? How much time should I give myself before the next flight.

Thanks very much.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Sorry. I have posted this in the destination area but not receiving a response and need one quickly

How much time do I need in BKK if I have seperate tickets unfortunately. So in essence I need to go through immigration and all the the stuff ; get luggage then get back to departure area to check in with Bangkok Airways and through security to the gate? How much time should I give myself before the next flight.

Thanks very much.
I'm not sure what a thread about connecting in HKG has to do with connection time in BKK, let alone what it has to do with AC.

BKK immigration times can vary widely. I've waiting almost 2 hours in a line, but I've also had experiences with no wait.

You should see if you can interline your bags to PG rather than having to pick them up, but you also need to provide more information. ie: Where are you coming from and connecting to. I don't believe connections to domestic flights need to pick up their bags in BKK, but you will need to go through immigration anyway. MCT for International to Domestic is 1h15, which would assume one ticket, adjust accordingly.

EDIT: looks like PG won't accept bags from International - Domestic if on a separate ticket. https://www.bangkokair.com/separate-ticket

My suggestion would be at least 3 hours.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:55 am

Gawd! I was rushing and you are right this is HKG. Thank You though, this assists me a lot to make some sort of an informed decision quickly. Appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bravada04
I'll close this thread with a reminder that as per FT Rules multiple posts/threads on the same topic in different forums is not permitted as it's called "cross-posting". Also resurrecting a 16-year-old dead thread is also discouraged.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.