Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

price difference between the CDN and US site?

Old Sep 15, 23, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Not sure if this topic has already been discussed, or belong in another thread, but I've been noticing that there is quite a large (25% or more) discrepancy in pricing on the Canadian site vs the US site, even taking into account the currency exchange.
When I try to book a flight that is operated by United, the price difference is significant between the Air Canada CDN vs US site. Is this normal?
Old Sep 15, 23, 4:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Commie
Not sure if this topic has already been discussed, or belong in another thread, but I've been noticing that there is quite a large (25% or more) discrepancy in pricing on the Canadian site vs the US site, even taking into account the currency exchange.
When I try to book a flight that is operated by United, the price difference is significant between the Air Canada CDN vs US site. Is this normal?
Favouring which currency? This has come up before with others noting that it can happen. In my experience, sometimes not always.
Old Sep 15, 23, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Favouring which currency? This has come up before with others noting that it can happen. In my experience, sometimes not always.
the USD site was much cheaper
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 5:51 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
I book a lot of tickets in other currencies and this is definitely a thing. The biggest discrepancies I have seen are 7% when paying CAD vs local on a major airline website. Generally if given the choice I'd just take the time and compare the two prices and see what's cheaper.
Commie and tecate55 like this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 10:37 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
This has to do with how the US Transportation Tax is calculated. The US government wants to prevent travelers in the US from originating from a Canadian Airport to "avoid" US taxes. These rules were put in place back in the days when paper tickets existed and travelers typically bought their tickets from a local bricks and mortar travel agency or airline ticket office in their home country. Now with electronic tickets and online booking sites, one can easily get around these rules by simply booking from the website that gives you the best fare.

For domestic travel within Canada which involve an airport in Canada less than 225 miles from the U.S./Canada border, tickets sold from a U.S. point of sale (this includes Air Canada's U.S. website) are assessed the 7.5% the US Transportation Tax on the base fare in addition to the usual GST/HST depending on province of origin.

As for travel from Canada to the U.S. or vice versa which involves an airport in Canada less than 225 miles from the U.S./Canada border, tickets sold from a U.S. point of sale (this includes Air Canada's U.S. website), the 7.5% US Transportation tax is also assessed. If the same ticket is purchased from a Canadian point of sale (eg. Air Canada's Canadian website), the US Transportation tax is reduced to a flat USD 21.10 each way.
pilot007, D582, YYCNoob and 5 others like this.

Last edited by daniellam; Sep 15, 23 at 10:45 pm
Old Sep 16, 23, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
This has to do with how the US Transportation Tax is calculated. The US government wants to prevent travelers in the US from originating from a Canadian Airport to "avoid" US taxes. These rules were put in place back in the days when paper tickets existed and travelers typically bought their tickets from a local bricks and mortar travel agency or airline ticket office in their home country. Now with electronic tickets and online booking sites, one can easily get around these rules by simply booking from the website that gives you the best fare.

For domestic travel within Canada which involve an airport in Canada less than 225 miles from the U.S./Canada border, tickets sold from a U.S. point of sale (this includes Air Canada's U.S. website) are assessed the 7.5% the US Transportation Tax on the base fare in addition to the usual GST/HST depending on province of origin.

As for travel from Canada to the U.S. or vice versa which involves an airport in Canada less than 225 miles from the U.S./Canada border, tickets sold from a U.S. point of sale (this includes Air Canada's U.S. website), the 7.5% US Transportation tax is also assessed. If the same ticket is purchased from a Canadian point of sale (eg. Air Canada's Canadian website), the US Transportation tax is reduced to a flat USD 21.10 each way.
Thanks for this insight, kinda make sense. However, if i am understanding the last paragraph, I am seeing the opposite of that. When I use the Air Canada Canadian website to book my travel to YYZ-ORD-BHM roundtrip comes out to $1800-1900 CAD for a within 14 day booking. However, using the Air Canada US website, that same booking was $1000-1100 USD.

Kinda made me feel bad that I've been spending my client's money needlessly for travel for the last 8-9 months. I didn't notice this until this week, as I usually book my travels when i am back home in Toronto. But this week, i tried to book travel while i was in BHM, and the AC website directed me to the US site. Then I did the comparison by using a CDN VPN to get to the CDN site.
Old Sep 16, 23, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
United has huge point of sale pricing differences and I assume Air Canada does something similar as well.
I book a lot of United flights directly on United website. Usually round-trip YYZ-DEN. In my United profile, I have 2 addresses listed, my Canadian address and an address at a friend that lives in the US. I have seen price differences of a few hundreds of dollars cheaper if at the last step of the booking when I use my US address over the Canadian address (factoring fx conversion).

Then I've seen the opposite happen when I booked a YYZ-SFO-TPE where the US price was way higher than the price with my Canadian address.

Morale of the story is I tend to check AC Canada, AC US, United Canada and United US for trans-border and international flights.
Old Sep 17, 23, 7:08 am

Yes Ive noticed this as well (US site being cheaper than the CA site). The $20 off round trip coupons (that you get from completing 10 Uber rides) become useless since you can only apply them from the CA site, and the flights are always still cheaper on US site since currency price difference is usually more than $20.
Old Sep 17, 23, 12:56 pm

Programs: "Fake SE 100k", Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by Commie
the USD site was much cheaper
I've been using this strategy booking via a VPN and using my Chase AP in USD which saves me quite a bit than booking on the CAD site. Crazy price discrimination.
Old Sep 17, 23, 9:07 pm

that's interesting. i always checked usd vs cad and they seemed more or less than same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.