SE - reward y - pay for seats?

Old Aug 30, 23, 5:48 am
RZR
Original Poster

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
SE - reward y - pay for seats?

HI, booking some flights with aeroplan points in Y cabin , lowest redemption level.
I went to select seats and it wants me to pay for seats.
I must admit it has been a while since I've used point for Y cabin , however , I thought as SE we dont pay for seats.
I am not traveling on this itin
Old Aug 30, 23, 5:52 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by RZR
HI, booking some flights with aeroplan points in Y cabin , lowest redemption level.
I must admit it has been a while since I've used point for Y cabin , however , I thought as SE we dont pay for seats.
It was a loophole which was closed. If you don't travel, the seats are not free
Old Aug 30, 23, 6:05 am
RZR
Original Poster

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
HI, ok , thx.
I thought regular none special y cabin seats were no charge.
At 24 hours before flight , can you then select a seat for no charge?
Old Sep 1, 23, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
It was a loophole which was closed. If you don't travel, the seats are not free
That's a bummer, do you know when this was closed?
Old Sep 3, 23, 10:28 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Silver / Marriott Titanium (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond
What is equally annoying is having to pay for a seat assignment on LH, LX etc. when the system books the intra-EU segment into Y on a J transatlantic ticket.
Old Sep 3, 23, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by flyer.yvr
That's a bummer, do you know when this was closed?
About a month ago by FT accounts
Old Sep 4, 23, 9:04 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, National , Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by RZR
I book lowest Y as SE with AP and I get free seats? I am down here in SFO right now and I brought my buddy and his two daughters with me on AP lowest and seats were free in prefer seats, zone 1.

When I book for friends and not traveling on the same PNR they pay for seats and get zone ?. When on the same PNR as me, we are treated the same?
Old Sep 4, 23, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, AA PPro, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I book lowest Y as SE with AP and I get free seats? I am down here in SFO right now and I brought my buddy and his two daughters with me on AP lowest and seats were free in prefer seats, zone 1.

When I book for friends and not traveling on the same PNR they pay for seats and get zone ?. When on the same PNR as me, we are treated the same?
Yes, that's how it works, and how it always should have worked.

There was a bug that if an SE account booked Standard for other people (SE not travelling), you could select free seats.
SPG_Fan likes this.
Old Sep 16, 23, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, that's how it works, and how it always should have worked.

There was a bug that if an SE account booked Standard for other people (SE not travelling), you could select free seats.
I followed this change when it happened, and it seemed like SEs were booking redemptions for others, getting the free seats for them, and not travelling. That seems bad and worth blocking. A somewhat different situation is when an SE books reward trips for the family and pays for a seat for himself/herself. I take it because these are different PNRs, the free seat selection wouldn't work, even if the SE *is* travelling. Is there any way around that, e.g., through a Concierge? Maybe the idea is exactly also to prevent that and there shouldn't be a way around it.

If an SE books say a three person redemption, including herself, selects seats, then at some point cancels her flight and pays cash instead, I assume the other 2 pax get de-seated when the PNRs split? But that if an SE for example gets an eup, leaving the other 2 pax in Y, then the PNRs split but those passengers do NOT lose their seat selections. Does that all sound right?
Old Sep 17, 23, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
I followed this change when it happened, and it seemed like SEs were booking redemptions for others, getting the free seats for them, and not travelling. That seems bad and worth blocking. A somewhat different situation is when an SE books reward trips for the family and pays for a seat for himself/herself. I take it because these are different PNRs, the free seat selection wouldn't work, even if the SE *is* travelling. Is there any way around that, e.g., through a Concierge? Maybe the idea is exactly also to prevent that and there shouldn't be a way around it.

If an SE books say a three person redemption, including herself, selects seats, then at some point cancels her flight and pays cash instead, I assume the other 2 pax get de-seated when the PNRs split? But that if an SE for example gets an eup, leaving the other 2 pax in Y, then the PNRs split but those passengers do NOT lose their seat selections. Does that all sound right?
On a number of occasions I have booked separate tickets (same flights) for myself + others and have had no issue calling in (Concierge, not traveling today line) and getting us all seated together, no hassle, no fee.

Although I haven't experienced it, I can't see someone being 'de-seated', not sure the system is sophisticated enough to detect that, so pretty sure once they have their seat it should stick.
Old Sep 17, 23, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by billdokes
On a number of occasions I have booked separate tickets (same flights) for myself + others and have had no issue calling in (Concierge, not traveling today line) and getting us all seated together, no hassle, no fee.
Thanks. Was that recently, after the change?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.