Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Change AC flight now, or after the first leg is flown?

Change AC flight now, or after the first leg is flown?

Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IAH, YYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 739
Change AC flight now, or after the first leg is flown?

Hoping someone can help with this situation

My fiancé has a flight booked CPH-IAH-CPH in PY. CPH-IAH is in September, and IAH-CPH is in November. We live in houston, and this ticket was booked to connect to an existing European trip, and the return as a mileage run (she was planning to use miles to get home from CPH the second time around)

Anyways, plans have changed and she knows already that she can’t fly the IAH-CPH return leg so she will have to change that second leg, or alternatively cancel the ticket and figure out another way

she is indifferent whether she flies to/from CPH or any other European city. The deal she got was quite good, US$1,100 in PY, and doesn’t appear to be valid from CPH anymore on our dates. Submitting a change request right now to MAD-IAH-MAD, BCN-IAH-BCN, or LIS-IAH-LIS all are approx $100 in fare difference + $220 change fee. Multi city flights such as CPH-IAH-MAD are prohibitively expensive.

my question is what will happen if she flies the first leg, and then tries to change the ticket after that? I assume the change fee will still apply. Will she have to return to CPH, or will she be able to return to somewhere else in Europe? Can we expect affordable change options or is it better to just make the change now to a different city? What if she cancels the second leg? Is there likely to be any residual credit?

any help would be appreciated.
david_oz is offline  
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by david_oz
Hoping someone can help with this situation

My fiancé has a flight booked CPH-IAH-CPH in PY. CPH-IAH is in September, and IAH-CPH is in November. We live in houston, and this ticket was booked to connect to an existing European trip, and the return as a mileage run (she was planning to use miles to get home from CPH the second time around)

Anyways, plans have changed and she knows already that she can’t fly the IAH-CPH return leg so she will have to change that second leg, or alternatively cancel the ticket and figure out another way

she is indifferent whether she flies to/from CPH or any other European city. The deal she got was quite good, US$1,100 in PY, and doesn’t appear to be valid from CPH anymore on our dates. Submitting a change request right now to MAD-IAH-MAD, BCN-IAH-BCN, or LIS-IAH-LIS all are approx $100 in fare difference + $220 change fee. Multi city flights such as CPH-IAH-MAD are prohibitively expensive.

my question is what will happen if she flies the first leg, and then tries to change the ticket after that? I assume the change fee will still apply. Will she have to return to CPH, or will she be able to return to somewhere else in Europe? Can we expect affordable change options or is it better to just make the change now to a different city? What if she cancels the second leg? Is there likely to be any residual credit?

any help would be appreciated.
The details for changes should be detailed in the original booking (look for fare rules).

Failing that, if you share the fare basis (you can use the cowtool PNR viewer to pull it up) someone might be able to look up the rules for you. I say might because some of the excellent ex-Europe fares don't seem to be published on EF.
vancouver25k is online now  
Old Jul 31, 2023, 7:37 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IAH, YYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
The details for changes should be detailed in the original booking (look for fare rules).

Failing that, if you share the fare basis (you can use the cowtool PNR viewer to pull it up) someone might be able to look up the rules for you. I say might because some of the excellent ex-Europe fares don't seem to be published on EF.
Thank you. The fare basis is ANCF6. I was able to look it up in expertflyer but I'm not very familiar with reading fare rules so hoping someone is able to guide me through a little bit.

AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY
THE NEW BASE FARE AMOUNT MUST BE RECALCULATED
USING HISTORICAL AND APPLICABLE FARES IN EFFECT
AT THE ORIGINAL TICKET DATE. CHARGE DIFFERENCE
IN FARE PLUS CHANGE FEE. CHANGE FEE IS SUBJECT TO
EACH CHANGE TRANSACTION.
-----------------------------------------------
NEW FARE AMOUNT MAY BE LOWER/EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
ORIGINAL FARE. IF NEW FARE IS LOWER THAN ORIGINAL
FARE-NO REFUND PERMITTED. THE RESIDUAL AMOUNT IS
FORFEIT.
Does this basically mean they will calculate the difference compared to a CPH-IAH-CPH flight cost at the time we bought the flight? So in effect, if she flies from Copenhagen she will have to return to Copenhagen?
david_oz is offline  
Old Jul 31, 2023, 9:07 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 23,688
Originally Posted by david_oz
Thank you. The fare basis is ANCF6. I was able to look it up in expertflyer but I'm not very familiar with reading fare rules so hoping someone is able to guide me through a little bit.



Does this basically mean they will calculate the difference compared to a CPH-IAH-CPH flight cost at the time we bought the flight? So in effect, if she flies from Copenhagen she will have to return to Copenhagen?
There is a thread somewhere here on fares to North America initiating in Europe. Rules changed not too long ago, and now price is mostly reasonable if origin and final detination are in the same country, with a few exceptions (Belgium-Canada-Germany still was OK earlier this year). Used not to be like that.

Anyway, she most likely bought that ticket after the rules changed.
Stranger is offline  
Old Jul 31, 2023, 10:48 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IAH, YYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by Stranger
There is a thread somewhere here on fares to North America initiating in Europe. Rules changed not too long ago, and now price is mostly reasonable if origin and final detination are in the same country, with a few exceptions (Belgium-Canada-Germany still was OK earlier this year). Used not to be like that.

Anyway, she most likely bought that ticket after the rules changed.
thanks. This is helpful. I ended up making a change to BCN-IAH-MAD which priced out with no fare difference and only the change fee
david_oz is offline  
Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:03 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Posts: 3,486
Generally speaking on international roundtrip fares with AC, fully unused tickets ("before departure") can be changed using historical fares provided there is no change to the first flight coupon, no change to fare breaks, and all other rule and booking code provisions are met. If a change to the first coupon is needed or other changes, it will use fares in effect today. Partially used tickets ("after departure") are generally only changed with reference to historical fares and the rules are slightly different.

Note that historical fares doesn't mean no difference in fare or always using the same fare - it just means the entire database of fares in existence at the time of original ticketing are used instead of today's fares. Depending on the change, you could still be faced with a large fare difference if you are trying to change to something not compatible with what you had originally booked.
pilot007 and vancouver25k like this.
D582 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 4,470
And more to @D582's point, a particular change may or may not trigger a fee, or be disallowed entirely. But prices "now" are "always" better than prices in the future, not even considering there possibly being no availability at all in the future.
RangerNS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.