"Alternatives"

Old Nov 15, 03, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Then again, the "guest" on WJ who pays one of their higher fares, and these do exist, is getting less since paying a similar level fare on AC would get a seat pre-assigned. As I suggested elsewhere, seat pre-assignment at no cost would be a cheap and valued benefit for AC elites to be offered, even if they were flying TANGO fares. I would hope AC's blockheads can at least see that much and highlight this as a benefit for Prestige and Elites who might find themselves booked in TANGO class.
Old Nov 15, 03, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Personally, I think one of the biggest peeves for most business people travelling at the last minute are seat selection. All the good seats are gone. (And I'm talking about economy class fares here).

BA's module is good. There are seat selection for all but they reserve only something like 70% for advance seat selection and 30% is assigned about 72 hours prior departure for last minute buyers, and elite card holders.

SQ on the other hand does not even offer advance seat selection at all for economy class period. And somehow they manage to fit everyone in economy comfortably. Mind you, SQ doesn't have much of a fare module to compare with as there is no such thing as 'advance purchased' tickets. One can get the same low fare 2 hours prior departure as one can get 100 days away - as long as the booking class is available. Otherwise you book up.. but even so, the difference isn't that great. SQ does have however some fares that do not earn mileage on any FF programme.

I bet you that AC might be thinking somewhere along those lines soon!

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited Nov 15, 2003).]
Old Nov 16, 03, 3:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Then again, the "guest" on WJ who pays one of their higher fares, and these do exist, is getting less since paying a similar level fare on AC would get a seat pre-assigned.</font>
That assumes being able to get a pre-assigned seat is a good thing, which is not always true.

AC can have only middles seats left open for assignment whereas WS would have all the seats for assignment at check-in for their guests to choose on the day of departure, on a first-come, first-served basis.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited Nov 16, 2003).]
Old Nov 16, 03, 9:05 am
At Large

Yea so get to the airport 2.5 hours ahead of departure for a domestic flt just to get an aisle seat.And sit in a overcrowded waiting area as well listening to them cslling their guests for other flts every five minutes.
Old Nov 16, 03, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I've been able to get good aisle seat assignments when booking at the last minute on AA and UA. Keep in mind that many "premium" coach seats become available after elite members have been upgraded during their window (1-4 days prior to departure).
Old Nov 16, 03, 4:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parnel:
Yea so get to the airport 2.5 hours ahead of departure for a domestic flt just to get an aisle seat.And sit in a overcrowded waiting area as well listening to them cslling their guests for other flts every five minutes.</font>
This clearly proves you have not flown WestJet.
Old Nov 16, 03, 8:46 pm
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keithguy:
This clearly proves you have not flown WestJet.</font>
Wanna bet?
Old Nov 16, 03, 9:00 pm

There is no need to check in 2.5 hours in advance on WS just to get an aisle seat.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited Nov 16, 2003).]

Search this Thread