Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Flown YYZ - MAN in J ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Anyone Flown YYZ - MAN in J ?

I am looking to fly MAN - YYZ in J. It is obvious of course that there is no J class service on this route and I am aware this is sold as a 'super comfort' service.....effectively a Y service in J seats. My question is simply, what is the seat pitch? There has been some suggestion that this might simply be 38"-40", but I have also found reference to the pitch been 55" in super comfort on this route.

I would like to know first hand from anyone who has flown this route what the seat pitch is and what is the angle of seat recline? Are the seats comfy and would you recommend them?

I have been quoted around £650 for a Y seat and £1000 for a super comfort seat. It seems to me if it is a J 55" seat it would be well worth the extra £350.

Comments and observations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 3:30 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The scheduled aircraft will have 38"-40" J seats (used as Super Comfort class on this route). They are not comfortable but at least better than Y. You will only get 55" if you're lucky and they do a last minute aircraft switch to one with international J class.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Are you sure Empress? Have you flown this route?

One travel agent in the UK is advertising it as a 55" pitch although I take that with a pinch of salt
Old Nov 13, 2003, 3:36 pm

I am 1000% sure.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 3:56 pm

Empress is quite correct. I have flown this route several times in so called "S" Each trip I was upgraded. I would not pay for "S"

Biggles.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:00 pm
Suspended

S class is not great. OK, it is better than Y (What isn't?) but not much. If MAN is anything like GLA and you have any kind of status, know someone who had status, have an upgrade cert of any kind (even if you draw one) you will get the UG anyway at check-in or the gate just for asking
I am just bitter cos I had an H fare and decided to route myself GLA-YYZ rather than GLA-LHR-YYZ.
Also, they have reintroduced (certainly GLA-YYZ) the practice of selling the seats at the gate, but I think it is 150 quid each way now ( I recall it used to be 75 and it is certainly more than that). Domestic 762 is not pleasant for 7 hours....
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FatBoyYVR:
If MAN is anything like GLA and you have any kind of status, know someone who had status, have an upgrade cert of any kind (even if you draw one) you will get the UG anyway at check-in or the gate just for asking</font>
Ok, I challenge you. You buy a L class and see whether you could get an upgrade at the gate with your SE cert. Deal?
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:08 pm

Are they still using the 200's on this route? Thank goodness the flight is pretty short.

By the way Gla is a much nicer place than Man
IMH(scottish)O
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:10 pm

Yes, still 762 on that route. (seasonal route only, so not restarting until summer sked 2004)
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:17 pm
At Large

You won't get an U/G on an L fare. When i took the flt this year they were checking with London staff for all requests they were not sure about and were not giving anything away.This has been verified by an associate who tried getting an U/G on some low fare 2 weeks ago.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:19 pm

On the other hand, I've heard of people who bought S class, showed up for the flight - got the domestic J seats and Y meals and they were in shock. They thought they got a business class fare + seat + service. Guess who they got pissed off at!
Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shagger:
By the way Gla is a much nicer place than Man
IMH(scottish)O
</font>
Agree.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Biggles:
Empress is quite correct. I have flown this route several times in so called "S" Each trip I was upgraded. I would not pay for "S"</font>
I flew MAN-YYZ back in June and was upgraded to S too. I only had Prestige status at that point in time... (But became Elite somewhere off the Newfoundland coast.)

Agree with Biggles. S is not worth it. And don't even buy an upgradable fare. Waste of a cert / money.

[This message has been edited by YOWkid (edited Nov 13, 2003).]
Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:00 pm

Agree with most comments here but on the eastbound the extra space is really significant so I would really try for it. On the return it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:53 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
Ok, I challenge you. You buy a L class and see whether you could get an upgrade at the gate with your SE cert. Deal? </font>
Do I get to take Ferrari with me?

Not something I would ever bank on, but certainly last time out of GLA it was a free for all on the UGs. One guy even did it inflight for himself! **** golfers.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.