Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Changing a return flight date and routing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2023, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Original booking Business Class with Air Canada R/T MCO/BKK with a return through Montreal. Need to change the return flight date and a different routing if possible. The original routing takes me BKK/NRT/YUL/MCO. I want to avoid Montreal as that is an overnight connection to MCO. I see that a few Air Canada routings go through LA, SFO, and Chicago to Orlando. Imagine they are code share flights with Thai, ANA, and United. Is this a probability or am I going to run into trouble?

Thanks Again
Old May 13, 2023, 7:11 am

Hard to say without more details, but it would depend on a few factors such as:
1) who issued the ticket
2) what routing you want
3) how much you are willing to pay to change your ticket and whether you've flown the outbound already

Assuming AC issued the ticket (014 stock) and budget is not a concern, if you are ok flying AC metal TPAC then you can probably get what you want...
Old May 13, 2023, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Hard to say without more details, but it would depend on a few factors such as:
1) who issued the ticket
2) what routing you want
3) how much you are willing to pay to change your ticket and whether you've flown the outbound already

Assuming AC issued the ticket (014 stock) and budget is not a concern, if you are ok flying AC metal TPAC then you can probably get what you want...
Ticket was issued by Air Canada. I would prefer the routing that does not go through Montreal incurring an overnight stay with 4 pieces of luggage. The outbound has already been flown. I'm willing to pay whatever the change fee is for Buisness Class. Don't think I'm willing to pay a great deal extra in that I am not cancelling any flight.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Ticket was issued by Air Canada. I would prefer the routing that does not go through Montreal incurring an overnight stay with 4 pieces of luggage. The outbound has already been flown. I'm willing to pay whatever the change fee is for Buisness Class. Don't think I'm willing to pay a great deal extra in that I am not cancelling any flight.
Since you have already flown the outbound, if the fare bucket (e.g. P fare or Z fare) for your new route is the same as you original route, then all you pay is a change fee and differences in taxes. If your new route is now only available in a higher fare bucket than your original route, then you also pay the fare difference.

If it ends up being lower, and your original booking is a nonrefundable fare, you don't get the difference back.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by floridastorm
So in your case, you're still going to have to fly AC across the Pacific as per the fare rules. Depending on how many connections you want and how much trouble you're willing to go through, you'll still have to connect to/from AC via at least one of ICN/HKG/TYO AND YVR/YYZ/YUL.

Originally Posted by YYT82
Since you have already flown the outbound, if the fare bucket (e.g. P fare or Z fare) for your new route is the same as you original route, then all you pay is a change fee and differences in taxes. If your new route is now only available in a higher fare bucket than your original route, then you also pay the fare difference.

If it ends up being lower, and your original booking is a nonrefundable fare, you don't get the difference back.
Have always wondered how the "historical and applicable fares in effect at the original ticket date" are calculated for this. Any idea - is there some excel table publicly/privately available?
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYT82

Thank You. Think I wil do a "dummy" change wih AC on line just to see what transpires.
Old May 13, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Have always wondered how the "historical and applicable fares in effect at the original ticket date" are calculated for this. Any idea - is there some excel table publicly/privately available?
You can search up the historical fare on the desktop version of EF.

Whenever I need to change the return leg of an international ticket, if I purchased it on sale, I always wait until I have flown the outbound to make the routing and date change. Not all agents are knowledgeable on this, so if I don't get one who knows what they are doing, I just HUCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.