Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Missed connection on separate AC itinerary

Question: Missed connection on separate AC itinerary

Old Jan 24, 23, 7:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 5
Missed connection on separate AC itinerary

Not sure if this has answered before, I have a AC return ticket from GRU to YYZ expected to land at 0545, I have another separate AC ticket flying out from YYZ to PVR at 0820 same day. If the GRU to YYZ flights got delayed and I won't be able to make it for the 2nd flight, will AC rebooked me on next flight out to PVR since it's the same airline or it's likely I am on my own?

I tried to book the 4 legs in 1 ticket but online system won't allow me

Thanks in advance!
mtbfay is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:11 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,820
Originally Posted by mtbfay View Post
Not sure if this has answered before, I have a AC return ticket from GRU to YYZ expected to land at 0545, I have another separate AC ticket flying out from YYZ to PVR at 0820 same day. If the GRU to YYZ flights got delayed and I won't be able to make it for the 2nd flight, will AC rebooked me on next flight out to PVR since it's the same airline or it's likely I am on my own?

I tried to book the 4 legs in 1 ticket but online system won't allow me

Thanks in advance!
No AC public facing documented policy protecting you. An AC document sent to outside travel agent bookings that allows for this protection, however AC often states that because it is an OTA travel document, it does not apply to any direct AC or direct Aeroplan booking.


This topic came up and I heard a senior concierge agent telling her coworkers in YYZ "these were direct bookings, so this travel agent article means we do not have to provide direct irrops support or re-accomodation (in this case potentially other airline) or hotel.


I have had mixed results, especially lately... When something goes haywire with, say, my Asia to Vancouver to Toronto flight, it takes an extreme amount of arguing and escalating to either eliminate a missed connecting in Toronto or to change my YYZ-USA flight day-of to one of the YYZ-west coast cities still going out that same day. In practice (especially if you have elite status and are flying in J) you will often end up being fine if all you want is rebooked to AC metal 1 or more days later if there is a seat available.


PS: if your booking was either all paid of all Aeroplan you could have likely phoned to get the extra YYZ-PVR bound added to your online booking. Price should have been the same
expert7700 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
No AC public facing documented policy protecting you. An AC document sent to outside travel agent bookings that allows for this protection, however AC often states that because it is an OTA travel document, it does not apply to any direct AC or direct Aeroplan booking.


This topic came up and I heard a senior concierge agent telling her coworkers in YYZ "these were direct bookings, so this travel agent article means we do not have to provide direct irrops support or re-accomodation (in this case potentially other airline) or hotel.


I have had mixed results, especially lately... When something goes haywire with, say, my Asia to Vancouver to Toronto flight, it takes an extreme amount of arguing and escalating to either eliminate a missed connecting in Toronto or to change my YYZ-USA flight day-of to one of the YYZ-west coast cities still going out that same day. In practice (especially if you have elite status and are flying in J) you will often end up being fine if all you want is rebooked to AC metal 1 or more days later if there is a seat available.


PS: if your booking was either all paid of all Aeroplan you could have likely phoned to get the extra YYZ-PVR bound added to your online booking. Price should have been the same
Interesting DP, thanks.
One would naturally assume direct bookings should provide no less protection than TA bookings, but I guess there are disagreements in the interpretation of rules.

it does not apply to any direct AC or direct Aeroplan booking
That's interesting, AC agents have almost always refer AP as "just another travel agent", so that if I have any issue with an AP booking before day of travel, I should always try contacting AP.

so this travel agent article means we do not have to provide direct irrops support or re-accomodation
This just smells like BS. IRROPS are day of travel events and are always handled/protected by the operating carrier, I never see TA provides rebooking option or hotel accommodation for day of travel IRROPS.
JacFlyer is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:07 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 4,913
Originally Posted by mtbfay View Post
Not sure if this has answered before, I have a AC return ticket from GRU to YYZ expected to land at 0545, I have another separate AC ticket flying out from YYZ to PVR at 0820 same day. If the GRU to YYZ flights got delayed and I won't be able to make it for the 2nd flight, will AC rebooked me on next flight out to PVR since it's the same airline or it's likely I am on my own?

I tried to book the 4 legs in 1 ticket but online system won't allow me

Thanks in advance!
For future reference, it took me thirty seconds to set up this exact routing as a single ticket through Google Flights.
canadiancow and SFO777 like this.
YOWgary is online now  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:29 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 118
I don't know if they gonna give you hotel voucher but if you check the PVG flight at GRU they will know and help you change the flight.
edmond00 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:30 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,598
Originally Posted by JacFlyer View Post
Interesting DP, thanks.
One would naturally assume direct bookings should provide no less protection than TA bookings, but I guess there are disagreements in the interpretation of rules.


That's interesting, AC agents have almost always refer AP as "just another travel agent", so that if I have any issue with an AP booking before day of travel, I should always try contacting AP.


This just smells like BS. IRROPS are day of travel events and are always handled/protected by the operating carrier, I never see TA provides rebooking option or hotel accommodation for day of travel IRROPS.
This situation is specific to separately booked tickets and whether there should be re-accommodation by AC if the passenger is a no-show for the "connecting" flight.
Adam Smith likes this.
robsaw is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 9:41 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 5
Thanks for all the contribution so far, this has been very helpful!

Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
For future reference, it took me thirty seconds to set up this exact routing as a single ticket through Google Flights.
The full itinerary is more like YYZ->GRU, GRU->PVR in PY, it does price in google flight, but I somehow can't book it on ac.com it gives me an error message of "There are no flights available on the date you selected (Apr 4), but there may be flights on other days. Modify your search for more options."

Last edited by mtbfay; Jan 24, 23 at 9:47 pm
mtbfay is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:03 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 4,913
Originally Posted by mtbfay View Post
The full itinerary is more like YYZ->GRU, GRU->PVR in PY, it does price in google flight, but I somehow can't book it on ac.com it gives me an error message of "There are no flights available on the date you selected (Apr 4), but there may be flights on other days. Modify your search for more options."
Book it in Flex, call in to up-fare to PY.
YOWgary is online now  
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:36 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 636
I also have two separate domestic tickets connecting in YYC in less a month. The connection time will be about an hour and a half which should be way more than enough.

But I am curious at the same question. If my first flight got severely delayed, will I be charged no-show for the second one? My second ticket is Latitude (upgraded to Business) if that makes a difference.
Changeup2000 is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sao Paulo
Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Posts: 200
Indeed

Originally Posted by mtbfay View Post
Thanks for all the contribution so far, this has been very helpful!



The full itinerary is more like YYZ->GRU, GRU->PVR in PY, it does price in google flight, but I somehow can't book it on ac.com it gives me an error message of "There are no flights available on the date you selected (Apr 4), but there may be flights on other days. Modify your search for more options."
Could it probably be happening because they do not offer PY to PVR?
BRflyer is offline  
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:14 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, UA Gold, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Silver
Posts: 41,080
Originally Posted by Changeup2000 View Post
I also have two separate domestic tickets connecting in YYC in less a month. The connection time will be about an hour and a half which should be way more than enough.

But I am curious at the same question. If my first flight got severely delayed, will I be charged no-show for the second one? My second ticket is Latitude (upgraded to Business) if that makes a difference.
If it's AC to AC, I wouldn't worry about anything other than keeping your upgrade.

Just call the concierge if the first flight looks delayed.
Changeup2000 likes this.
canadiancow is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread