Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Not seeing all options when trying to pay cash vs points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Not seeing all options when trying to pay cash vs points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Not seeing all options when trying to pay cash vs points

I've never encountered this scenario before - hoping someone here has some context:
  • I want to fly YCD --> YYZ with a stopover in YVR; flights AC8028, then AC184
  • When I search on AC utilizing Aeroplan Points, I can see the flight fine
  • When I search on AC utilizing paid <cash>, I cannot see the flight at all
The only thing I can tell is that the layover in YVR is just over 3 hours - so all of the paid options are not showing layover times longer than that, although if I use points I see them fine. Is this normal?

I tried calling into an agent and they were able to price it out after some back and forth. I didn't book it yet though but at least I know she was able to price it out for me.

<and for those wondering - my use case is utilizing R-space via Aeroplan points for my wife, and utilizing R-space for myself via paid fare for the SQD>
Via Points - can see the flight

Via Cash - no flight
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by theranj
Is this normal?
I don't know what "normal" is, but sure, there are legal/valid options that one can find that the marketers won't present to you. Or in this specific situation somewhat different teams do (do not) present to you. Arguably >3 hour layover is something that is weird and should not be offered to mortals.... Or <trumpet mute> <trumpet mute> <trumpet mute> is better for another team to offer up.

Good on you for finding something cheaper and acceptable to you.

Click OK and move along....
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Seems normal enough to me that the cash vs points return different search results. I'm sure ITA Matrix + powertools could build you a link for the cash booking if you don't want to call.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Seems normal enough to me that the cash vs points return different search results. I'm sure ITA Matrix + powertools could build you a link for the cash booking if you don't want to call.
I am able to select the flight I want on Google Flights thru to AC OR thru Expedia <but I can't book a Latitude or PE Flex fare thru their site>, able to build it via ITA Matrix...but when trying to book it thru AC website it doesn't come up. I may just have to do a later flight for my use case

Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:20 am

I am able to select the flight I want on Google Flights thru to AC OR thru Expedia <but I can't book a Latitude or PE Flex fare thru their site>, able to build it via ITA Matrix...but when trying to book it thru AC website it doesn't come up. I may just have to do a later flight for my use case
Was able to get it up on AC in Latitude using Matrix Powertools

Didn't see a date in your post, so used May 1st
https://book.aircanada.com/pl/AConli...011725&CABIN=E
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Was able to get it up on AC in Latitude using Matrix Powertools
Didn't see a date in your post, so used May 1st
Interesting data point...my dates are in Sept, but I tried multiple dates in August and September and I had the same results - not being able to see it as a paid option. When I try May 17th <going into May like you did> - I now see the flight as a paid option with a 3h02m layover.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:00 pm

Interesting data point...my dates are in Sept, but I tried multiple dates in August and September and I had the same results - not being able to see it as a paid option. When I try May 17th <going into May like you did> - I now see the flight as a paid option with a 3h02m layover.
Here is Sept 9 you can adjust the dates in the url
Spoiler

Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks I'll try playing with the URL and see if I can force it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.