Departure Airport:
Miles Needed (SQM):
Segments Needed (SQS):
Dollars Needed (SQD):
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:
Route(s) You've Already Searched:
  • For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
  • For Required Spend or Maximum Budget: DO NOT SAY "ANYTHING" OR "CHEAPEST" OR SIMILAR BECAUSE THAT IS NOT VERY HELPFUL - STATE THE DAMN VALUE PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP
  • If you need both SQD AND SQM or SQS, then please indicate both in their respective line item. Don't hide your second SQD/M/S requirement in some other line.
  • If you are based in YYZ or YVR, there can be many good fares to China (PEK or PVG) on Star Alliance partners. If you have a Chinese visa, include that in your request and these options will be provided.

Information on SQM/SQS/SQD in General

If you need a refresher on what counts for SQM, SQD, etc, please consult this thread: Qualifying for Aeroplan Elite Status - overview/FAQ

Useful reference thread for SQM and SQD calculations: Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

General Tips

A good starting point and general approach on finding that ideal mileage run is this article written by YOWgary : Mileage Run Tips
Print Wikipost

2023 Mileage Runs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
2023 Mileage Runs

Please use this thread to discuss mileage runs to achieve missing SQM, SQS, and SQD.

Please see the template in the wiki for the information to provide if you're looking for ideas on how to meet your SQx requirement.

This is NOT meant to be a general discussion of AC sales or cheap fares, for which we have other threads - please ensure there is a mileage/segment running context to your posts.
painintheuk and farmerbrown like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 1, 2023 at 8:41 pm
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC2MM SE Fairmont Presidents club
Mileage run

So close to SE for life I can taste it. Looking for suggestions to accumulate miles the quickest and most economical way thinking of doing back to back long hauls in business class. Purchase a flight pass? Retired now so on a fairly tight budget. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by farmerbrown
So close to SE for life I can taste it. Looking for suggestions to accumulate miles the quickest and most economical way thinking of doing back to back long hauls in business class. Purchase a flight pass? Retired now so on a fairly tight budget. Thanks in advance!
How close is "so close"?

When do you expect to naturally lose SE? If you've already lost it, that's different than "I expect to maintain it until 2030" (in which case I would suggest deferring this discussion 5-6 years).

The most economical is definitely not "business class".
m.y likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I started doing MRs in Q1 last year, due to promos I felt would help me earn status at the end of the year.

The CC promo rolled out in Q3 made every dime of that discretionary spending irrelevant towards status.

So, message received from AC loud and clear. No more speculative MRs.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Got to SE last year, looking to keep it for 2024, but most of my travel will be in Europe/APAC so no AC metal. Short of another promo I will have to do mileage runs.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:42 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Spent a few hours today looking for good old cheap mileage runs. I know flying out of my new airport instead of a real hub has its challenges, however after using the techniques I have used previously I think AC Revenue Mgmt and tech guys are actually brilliant. No I am not drunk or high, I was thwarted in attempting to make certain connections which was easy for me just a few weeks ago? I have some AC employee provided promo codes that have a short lifespan so with the last sale over I expected prices to get cheaper and they have dropped some, but remain high in some markets. Perhaps I am just tired and giving AC Revenue Mgmt too much credit!

With the testing requirements with China, I was hoping that fares to ASIA would drop with people being afraid and demand dropping but those prices remain?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by farmerbrown
Latitude fares ex-Europe are pretty affordable and, being based on the west coast, would give you a decent number of miles. Generally cheaper than a Latitude pass and much cheaper than business class. Typically, Europe-YYZ return is somewhere around $1,500 and Europe-YVR is $2k-ish. Use points to get started, and then you can fly back and forth in and out of different cities to get some variety.

How many miles do you need?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I started doing MRs in Q1 last year, due to promos I felt would help me earn status at the end of the year.

The CC promo rolled out in Q3 made every dime of that discretionary spending irrelevant towards status.

So, message received from AC loud and clear. No more speculative MRs.
We too convinced ourselves last year to do one MR to maintain/ensure my partner's SE status for 2023, only to discover the CC promo meant we overshot the goal.

I might be mistaken, but I believe some of the overage has carried over for 2023, so there was some benefit to the MR?
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Davevad
We too convinced ourselves last year to do one MR to maintain/ensure my partner's SE status for 2023, only to discover the CC promo meant we overshot the goal.

I might be mistaken, but I believe some of the overage has carried over for 2023, so there was some benefit to the MR?
If your 2023 depended on rolling over miles from 2022, sure.

I guess the extra threshold eUps would have been nice if I'd needed them.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC2MM SE Fairmont Presidents club
Thanks for the responses. I’m roughly at 2.9MM so looking for the best way to achieve 3MM and lifetime SE. I’ve flown quite a number of airlines over my career and in spite of the complaints AC generates at times it remains one of the best performers for business class in my opinion. Granted, there are others in Asia that are equal to, or superior but generally they are also Star Alliance. jmho
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr

With the testing requirements with China, I was hoping that fares to ASIA would drop with people being afraid and demand dropping but those prices remain?
Not sure how long your window is. It seems huge amount of people want/need to go back to China once the current outbreak eventually goes away.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Not sure how long your window is. It seems huge amount of people want/need to go back to China once the current outbreak eventually goes away.
I agree with you, with so much pent-up demand, fares will remain high as well as through ICN, TPE, HND as folks will book through those hubs if they get too cheap. HKG & TPE were such great gems to fly through. I love to know what the revenue AC is making on these routes.

Finally ended up booking OGG & BOG with the 20% discount codes

Finding these sweet spots is more and more of a challenge from the West. While in YOW with YUL & YYZ so close not to mention the border it was much easier doing MR.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Hoping to re-qualify SE by Q3 to avoid any last minute mileage runs between Christmas and New Years next year. I've front-loaded some trips in Q1 (BUD, GVA, and MXP) to try and at least get 50% of the way there by end of March. Sadly I think the $20k SQD will be tough to achieve without any SQD promos, and I'm not expecting any juicy SQD promos this year.

Any cities/date pairings that have reasonably priced Latitude fares? My go-to's have usually been the LYS-YUL route (seasonal), BUD-FRA/VIE-YYZ route, and MXP-YUL-YYZ routes but curious to know what others are finding.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by pnpatrick
Hoping to re-qualify SE by Q3 to avoid any last minute mileage runs between Christmas and New Years next year. I've front-loaded some trips in Q1 (BUD, GVA, and MXP) to try and at least get 50% of the way there by end of March. Sadly I think the $20k SQD will be tough to achieve without any SQD promos, and I'm not expecting any juicy SQD promos this year.

Any cities/date pairings that have reasonably priced Latitude fares? My go-to's have usually been the LYS-YUL route (seasonal), BUD-FRA/VIE-YYZ route, and MXP-YUL-YYZ routes but curious to know what others are finding.
I'm looking to do something similar, ex-europe to yul, yow or yyz. I'm new to this though and can't find bookings on the AC engine that will get me more than about 11,000 points return, even booking biz class. Do you use that to make the bookings, or is it more that you identify latitude city pairs and then add connections that increase the miles but fall within the fare rules? FWIW I've seen lots of latitude fares in the 700s each way from Europe to YUL, not sure if that counts as reasonable to you.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pnpatrick
Sadly I think the $20k SQD will be tough to achieve without any SQD promos, and I'm not expecting any juicy SQD promos this year.
I have missed it but what are the "usual/past" SQD promos? I am likely to hit 100k SQM but don't think I will be at $20k spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.