Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Boeing 737-8 (7M8) interior information (seats, IFE, overhead bins, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing 737-8 (7M8) interior information (seats, IFE, overhead bins, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:49 pm

I'm 6'4" myself and travelled on the 737 MAX8 a few months ago from YHZ Halifax to LHR London Heathrow, and here my feedback given I’ll travelled J to LHR and Y coming back to YHZ.

I thought J was alright but did not find it anything special, other then the extra legroom, bigger seat and bigger IFE display your not really getting much more for your money. I would not go out of my way to pay extra for J on the 737 MAX8

On the way back to YHZ I was in Y and seated in 20D preferred seat and actually find it to really good, it had lots of legroom and I was very comfortable flight back.

I would very happily travel in Y again as long as it was a preferred seat, anything after row 20 legroom is very limited.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halifaxtraveler
I'm 6'4" myself and travelled on the 737 MAX8 a few months ago from YHZ Halifax to LHR London Heathrow, and here my feedback given I’ll travelled J to LHR and Y coming back to YHZ.

I thought J was alright but did not find it anything special, other then the extra legroom, bigger seat and bigger IFE display your not really getting much more for your money. I would not go out of my way to pay extra for J on the 737 MAX8

On the way back to YHZ I was in Y and seated in 20D preferred seat and actually find it to really good, it had lots of legroom and I was very comfortable flight back.

I would very happily travel in Y again as long as it was a preferred seat, anything after row 20 legroom is very limited.

But to be fair on that route domestic J is sold as PY, not J.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by The YVR Guy

I am going to Honolulu for my reading week (yes, I go to university and we have a 'spring break' for some much needed relaxation in February haha). There's a lot of J class availability on this particular flight (AC517 departing February 18, 2019) and I wanted to hear thoughts on whether the narrow body J class is worth the bid upgrade.
Absolutely worth it depending on where your value is.
Mine is $100pf of bum in seat, so flight time plus 15 mins at each end.
Have flown two segments on the 738 is J and been very happy with it.
For reference, I'm 6'4", found it very comfortable. Wife at 5'6" found it very spacious!!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
But to be fair on that route domestic J is sold as PY, not J.
yes that is true, I forgot it sold as PY from YHZ to LHR, and to be fair that what it should be sold as on a domestic route too. J should be reserved for pods only.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
WS has only 3 rows of "plus" and AC has 4 rows of business.
that squishes the economy rows for sure.
just my 2 cents 😁
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
To me business is always worth it 😜
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by zoechow
Can anyone give a sense of the legroom in the preferred seats that are neither exit rows nor bulkheads? It sounds like the back of the plane in Y is all 30" pitch, but what about row 13, for example?
I'm 6ft/220lbs and the preferred rows definitely feel a little more spacious. No idea what the actual pitch difference is. The other key factor is that if the flight is not full, in my experience people are reluctant to pay for preferred so the chance of getting a middle seat free, or indeed a row to yourself is much higher than further back. While its obviously not guaranteed its a factor that makes me happy to pay for preferred on the 4.5/5.5hr TATL route I fly regularly.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by chebert999
WS has only 3 rows of "plus" and AC has 4 rows of business.
that squishes the economy rows for sure.
just my 2 cents ��
But that wouldn’t affect this situation. What the OP is saying is from a fixed position common to both airlines (the second window exit), both airlines have fit the same number of rows to a presumably fixed position in the rear of the aircraft (unless the galley/lavs are smaller on WS), but WS lists 1” extra distance per row.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
AC and WS 737-800 Max both have 17 rows from the second window exit row to the back washroom. AC shows the min pitch at 30", where WS shows a min pitch of 31". Did AC measure wrong or is WS playing games? The actual distance is the same on both aircraft.
From what I can tell by looking at the seat maps, the premise of the question is incorrect.

AC had 18 rows (20-37, although row 37 only has ABC seats). WS has 17 rows (14-30).

At the back WS has a lav on each side ahead of the rear exit, with a galley at the rear. AC has a galley in the position of 37DEF with a small galley and 2 lava located behind the rear exit.

Not sure how the space occupied by the lavs compares to seats, but the “spaces” aren’t identical. Also I don’t know how the row at the 2nd over wing exit aligns with the exit on each aircraft.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/We..._737_Max_8.php
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai..._737_MAX_8.php
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-us/fleet/737-max
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html
gcashin and Adam Smith like this.

Last edited by YEG USER; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
For a 6 hour flight, I wouldn't even go in domestic Y, unless I'm sitting beside my girlfriend, but I'm weird. Lie flat is definitely a deal for anything less than $100/hr.
Interesting post.
I am curious as to why domestic Y with your girlfriend is acceptable?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal

Interesting post.
Can’t speak to other poster’s reasoning, but when I travel with my wife she tends to cuddle up to me to sleep, and I’ll often put my arm around her. Although the space is the same, being able to lean into or partially occupy the space of the adjacent seat makes a big difference, that plus the fact that I don’t mind her intruding into my space (and v.v.) the same way I would if it were a stranger.
Nitehawk, jc94 and The YVR Guy like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal

Interesting post.
She can comfort me, convince me it's going to be OK and I will survive the next 6 hours...

More seriously, If I have to make physical contact with someone during the flight (armrest wars, and other common occurrences in Y), I am much more comfortable with it not being a stranger, but my significant other. It makes it much much more bearable. Not that I've tried it in the past 5 years...

Originally Posted by YEG USER

Can’t speak to other poster’s reasoning, but when I travel with my wife she tends to cuddle up to me to sleep, and I’ll often put my arm around her. Although the space is the same, being able to lean into or partially occupy the space of the adjacent seat makes a big difference, that plus the fact that I don’t mind her intruding into my space (and v.v.) the same way I would if it were a stranger.
You answered this better than I did. Basically sums it up...
jc94 likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 29, 2019 at 10:30 pm Reason: merge separate posts
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:50 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YEG USER

From what I can tell by looking at the seat maps, the premise of the question is incorrect.

AC had 18 rows (20-37, although row 37 only has ABC seats). WS has 17 rows (14-30).

At the back WS has a lav on each side ahead of the rear exit, with a galley at the rear. AC has a galley in the position of 37DEF with a small galley and 2 lava located behind the rear exit.

Not sure how the space occupied by the lavs compares to seats, but the “spaces” aren’t identical. Also I don’t know how the row at the 2nd over wing exit aligns with the exit on each aircraft.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/We..._737_Max_8.php
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ai..._737_MAX_8.php
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-us/fleet/737-max
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/fleet.html
Only the port side has 18 row. The starboard side that 17 row and the distance is basically the same as WS.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by 5mm
Only the port side has 18 row. The starboard side that 17 row and the distance is basically the same as WS.
Depth of the galley specified by one does not necessarily equal the depth of the lav specified by the other.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:49 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Seat maps aren't to scale, not sure how useful comparing them are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.