Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Basic "help me with this trip" Aeroplan planning/availability questions (2022-???)

Basic "help me with this trip" Aeroplan planning/availability questions (2022-???)

Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

There has been a proliferation of threads with people looking for help finding availability for reward trips, I'm going to try to combine these in one place for a better resource and less repetition.

This thread is for "help me book this trip" type questions, looking for availability to book a trip with specific parameters in mind, like the first few posts here in this thread.

Please note this thread is for basic questions about finding availability/what to book. If you're trying to piece together complex itineraries with stopovers etc, there's a thread for that. If you just want to rant about ridiculous pricing, there's also a place for that.

Lastly, if you have basic questions about booking, changing, or cancelling Aeroplan rewards in general, please see this thread.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 30, 2022 at 12:22 am
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:48 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I'm trying to piece together an itin. I've found eberything i've needed thus far , just missing one portion , 2 or possibly 4 pax , Europe to Yul July 25 ,26 or 27th 2023. Ideally from BRU, however not oppossed to repositioning etc etc.
Certainly what I am in search of is the none AC metal option.. the option that rings in at about 70k on a partner airline. I don;t want the dynamic pricing of AC to throw the other parts of my itin.
I know many of you may know an option or 2 easilly and are experts.
Any feedback appreciated.

J cabin

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 9, 2022 at 2:02 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:58 pm

Austrian

Route Time Duration Flight Cabin Aircraft Seats
BRU-VIE Tue 2023-07-25 06:50-08:35 1:45 SN 2901 J 319 2
VIE-YUL Tue 2023-07-25 11:00-13:50 8:50 OS 73 Y 76W 5
J Low 70,000 J Flex 85,000 $108.70
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:02 pm

A Y flight to GVA, then LX GVA to JFK in J on the 25th. 70k

(Or if you want to phone, I see the GVA-JFK flight (LX 22) available on all three days (60K), so find something in J from BRU to GVA (eg. SN 2711) (15K) that works timewise and give them a call.)

Then a separate booking to YUL from LGA. Y=8k J=25K

Edit: zappy's looks better.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:16 pm
RZR

I did see that one. Was looking for addtional possible routes in J low.. that give J over ocean, or if anyone sees 4 seats somehow on a route.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
I did see that one. Was looking for addtional possible routes in J low.. that give J over ocean, or if anyone sees 4 seats somehow on a route.
Have you thought about LAT fares ex-BRU?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:39 pm
RZR

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Have you thought about LAT fares ex-BRU?
I do use that strategy sometimes when its a straight forward trip for my usual revenue Europe journeys.
However for this instance I am trying for complex /multi segment family trip for 4 pax using points... and Priority rewards.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:51 pm

European vacation 2023

Hi everyone. Been long time lurker but I could use some advice here.

looking to take the wife and 2 kids (11 and 13) to Europe in August 2023. We are looking to visit london England, Paris and Amsterdam.

Ive been searching for best use of points and cash/e upgrades.

I have about 340,000 Aeroplan miles, worldwide companion pass and 75 e upgrades.

I also have 35k status

I know getting 4 business class seats is extremely hard so looking to perhaps get 2 premium economy and 2 business class seats using a combination of points and paying cash as well.

Questions I have.

1) which airport is best/ cheapest to fly into/greatest availability for upgrades .

2) if I purchase 2 fares using the worldwide companion pass can I use e upgrades to upgrade the 2 fares

3) what would be the best use of points/cash and e upgrades in my situation?

you guys are all experts. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in Advance
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by houk
Hi everyone. Been long time lurker but I could use some advice here.

looking to take the wife and 2 kids (11 and 13) to Europe in August 2023. We are looking to visit london England, Paris and Amsterdam.

I’ve been searching for best use of points and cash/e upgrades.

I have about 340,000 Aeroplan miles, worldwide companion pass and 75 e upgrades.

I also have 35k status

I know getting 4 business class seats is extremely hard so looking to perhaps get 2 premium economy and 2 business class seats using a combination of points and paying cash as well.
Hi and welcome to FT! I will do my best to answer the questions, but it is also good to see what others have to say.

Questions I have.

1) which airport is best/ cheapest to fly into/greatest availability for upgrades .
1. It helps to know your originating location. i.e. YVR or YYZ?
2. London LHR & Amsterdam AMS are generally much easier to eupgrade into, especially since you are booking 8 months in advance.* Paris CDG is much harder to eupgrade.
* I say this because you can book Aeroplan latitude economy reward (and also search for premium economy flexible reward, sometimes it costs less than latitude), and confirm your eupgrade immediately upon booking.
3. Knowing which flights have eupgrade space is easy if you have a tool like ExpertFlyer (search for "R" fare space).

2) if I purchase 2 fares using the worldwide companion pass can I use e upgrades to upgrade the 2 fares
Yes. If since you will be on the same PNR. With the Worldwide companion pass, you can book it as a latitude fare and do the same as above and confirm your eupgrade to business right away.

3) what would be the best use of points/cash and e upgrades in my situation?
1. You have to keep in mind that can use eupgrades in advance only on two of the passengers: the person with E35k status and the one person on the same ticket. If you get a latitude fare (aeroplan or cash) or prem econ flex (aeroplan, again, sometimes oddly cheaper than latitude reward) fare, then you can confirm your eupgrade NOW.
2. My bias would be to either do one of:
a) 2 pax: Worldwide companion pass (both latitude fares) & confirm eupgrade right away; 2 pax reward Premium economy tickets.
b) 2 pax: latitude reward/PY flexible reward & confirm eupgrade right away; 2 pax PY lowest reward or cash tickets.

I'm sure others will have good and or better ideas as well.

EDITS:
For any cash ticket, consider waiting until boxing day to book, as there are often sales then.
Eupgrade from latitude (or prem economy flexible) to business, from Canada to EU, should be around 11 eupgrade credits per direction per pax (so it will use 44 of your eupgrade credits). If you try to eupgrade from a flex fare, it can be around 15-18 credits + gambling on your eupgrade clearing, usually on the day of the flight, against higher status passengers (LHR, CDG, and AMS are super elite heavy routes).

Happy travel planning!
vernonc likes this.

Last edited by Diabeetus; Dec 9, 2022 at 12:07 am
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Hi and welcome to FT! I will do my best to answer the questions, but it is also good to see what others have to say.

Questions I have.

1. It helps to know your originating location. i.e. YVR or YYZ?
2. London LHR & Amsterdam AMS are generally much easier to eupgrade into, especially since you are booking 8 months in advance.* Paris CDG is much harder to eupgrade.
* I say this because you can book Aeroplan latitude economy reward (and also search for premium economy flexible reward, sometimes it costs less than latitude), and confirm your eupgrade immediately upon booking.
3. Knowing which flights have eupgrade space is easy if you have a tool like ExpertFlyer (search for "R" fare space).

Yes. If since you will be on the same PNR. With the Worldwide companion pass, you can book it as a latitude fare and do the same as above and confirm your eupgrade to business right away.

1. You have to keep in mind that can use eupgrades in advance only on two of the passengers: the person with E35k status and the one person on the same ticket. If you get a latitude fare (aeroplan or cash) or prem econ flex (aeroplan, again, sometimes oddly cheaper than latitude reward) fare, then you can confirm your eupgrade NOW.
2. My bias would be to either do one of:
a) 2 pax: Worldwide companion pass (both latitude fares) & confirm eupgrade right away; 2 pax reward Premium economy tickets.
b) 2 pax: latitude reward/PY flexible reward & confirm eupgrade right away; 2 pax PY lowest reward or cash tickets.

I'm sure others will have good and or better ideas as well.

EDITS:
For any cash ticket, consider waiting until boxing day to book, as there are often sales then.
Eupgrade from latitude (or prem economy flexible) to business, from Canada to EU, should be around 11 eupgrade credits per direction per pax (so it will use 44 of your eupgrade credits). If you try to eupgrade from a flex fare, it can be around 15-18 credits + gambling on your eupgrade clearing, usually on the day of the flight, against higher status passengers (LHR, CDG, and AMS are super elite heavy routes).

Happy travel planning!

thank you so much for your help. We will be flying out of YYZ.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
My wife and I did a similar trip this past August, except AMS.

What we did is for the parents, we booked a latitude reward and eup'ed into PE. For such short flights, its honestly more than fine. Kids had the bulkhead but either way, with their screens they were happy enough in the back. Plus nice to have a small break. So I would do two bookings. Latitude or PE for the parents and Y for the kids.

We Eurostar'ed it to CDG and flew home with the same as the above from there.

I am not saying your kids don't deserve PE/J but they will be just as happy with the meal in Y and they are small enough and young enough that they will survive just fine. Plus you'll have plenty of time with them through Europe.

We stayed near the opera house in Paris and it was an absolutely AMAZING area of the city to stay in. Your kids would like the Museum of Illusion https://museedelillusion.fr/en/ which is a close walk.

edit: my kids are the same age, feel free to PM me if you have any questions on our trip

Enjoy
kalderlake likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I would suggest flying into LHR and flying back from AMS. LHR taxes are high for departures specially on J tickets.
We just went to AMS a couple of weeks back. Intra Europe flights and trains are affordable.
So fly into LHR on AC, channel train to Paris, train or flight to AMS, return on AC from AMS.
For best use of your points and eupgs, @Diabeetus post upthread is spot on.
For the PE fares, you can also try to upgrade them with bid upg or LMU but obviously these are not guaranteed.
Another suggestion is to try to get J there for all 4 and PE or Y on the way back. The flight there is red eye and getting some sleep would be better, flight back is a daytime flight so really better seats, entertainment and meals
BearX220, yyzflyer, xooz and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
With an 11- and 13-year-old along, the Eurostar train from London to Paris will make a memorable treat.
yyzflyer, mboca28 and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
I would suggest flying into LHR and flying back from AMS. LHR taxes are high for departures specially on J tickets.
We just went to AMS a couple of weeks back. Intra Europe flights and trains are affordable.
So fly into LHR on AC, channel train to Paris, train or flight to AMS, return on AC from AMS.
For best use of your points and eupgs, @Diabeetus post upthread is spot on.
For the PE fares, you can also try to upgrade them with bid upg or LMU but obviously these are not guaranteed.
Another suggestion is to try to get J there for all 4 and PE or Y on the way back. The flight there is red eye and getting some sleep would be better, flight back is a daytime flight so really better seats, entertainment and meals
You can also fly home from Brussels. Direct Eurostar to there, fly home with low taxes. I just booked a YYZ-LHR, BRU-YYZ trip for 2 in J. The taxes saved more than pay for the Eurostar.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 11:04 am

Would I book this as 2 separate one way tickets? YYZ-LHR and then AMS-YYZ

thanks
mboca28 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.