Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Elevate Your Status (status buy-up offers from AC, 2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Bit of background: I'm first time status this year at 35k. Currently 2.2k SQM away from 50k (which I'll just hit with upcoming bookings) and around 10k SQD.

I received an email from Aeroplan this morning offering me the chance to "buy-up" to 50k status for next year for the princely sum of $999.

At first I was shocked by the price. But upon reflection, my upcoming bookings cost around $1,300. Is this a normal offer for people who are within spitting distance of the next status level?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I think the few data points we have are widely inconsistent. Some might go so far as to suggest its market research as much as a good faith offer.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Is it a legit offer?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Khampra
Is it a legit offer?
It looks, smells, feels, and tastes legit. But I'm not going to take it up, so I can't verify whether it is actually legit.

Unless you'd like to contribute $999 for scientific research? I'm sorry but I can't issue tax receipts for charitable donations
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I can give a data point. I am E50K but I will drop to E35K next year. I'll end with 30k miles / 41 segments / ~$6k spend and I got the same offer.

Gonna suck losing *G but if I am honest I am traveling less and it's not worth $1k to buy up to E50k. It sucks even more since E35K will lose lounge access.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: AC Elite
I won't make E50 this year (even with the plentiful opportunities to do so via double status miles, CC bonuses, etc). It will be the first time since forever I won't make it (fully recognizing and appreciating that AC extended my status during COVID a couple of times). Currently at 32k SQM and $10k SQD. Anyway while I opened the email with excitement at the prospect of having my early 2023 flights as E50, $999 is too steep for me. I suppose I will have a 25K card amongst the many 50K and SE cards from the past. It will add a bit of colour to my collection...
dr_torch likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:30 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Moderator note: AC started status buy-ups in 2016, and once a few more data points come in, it may make sense to merge this with the existing thread. Or maybe it will make sense to keep this as a fresh thread. TBD. Feedback on this point welcome via PM/e-mail.

Originally Posted by Khampra
Is it a legit offer?
Yes. This is AC offering to sell you a higher status than you qualified for.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Data point: 2.4K SQM from 50K and around 14K SQD, offer for secured 50K at 999$ CAD as well. Not gonna take it, I have a Euro trip that will push me past 50K next month for the holidays
Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Mrs ZRH2YVR got the e-mail today. The thing is that we just are not sure what will happen this year as she takes a flight on December 16 which will put her over 50k - but - as a non-resident, making the spend is harder now and she will have ~$5,000. I made SE this year and had it before I made the spend - so the question then is - - has anyone received their status outside Canada with 50% SQD minimum? I did (but made the 100% in the end anyway) - - - as . . if she will make it anyway, we are not going to do this. The issues is that it is time sensitive and they want it done by December 12. Would be nice if they let you see if the dust settles and if you get it anyway before committing . . . it also says you cannot refund if you make it anyway.

points.com was at one point owned by Air Canada - so . . I expect this is a legit promotion.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Mrs ZRH2YVR got the e-mail today. The thing is that we just are not sure what will happen this year as she takes a flight on December 16 which will put her over 50k - but - as a non-resident, making the spend is harder now and she will have ~$5,000. I made SE this year and had it before I made the spend - so the question then is - - has anyone received their status outside Canada with 50% SQD minimum? I did (but made the 100% in the end anyway) - - - as . . if she will make it anyway, we are not going to do this. The issues is that it is time sensitive and they want it done by December 12. Would be nice if they let you see if the dust settles and if you get it anyway before committing . . . it also says you cannot refund if you make it anyway.

points.com was at one point owned by Air Canada - so . . I expect this is a legit promotion.
Hmm. I don't think Air Canada ever owned points.com.

Ron.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
Throwing my datapoint on the pile. Currently 46 SQS 36k SQM (well over in SQD), got the offer today to buy up to 50k, also charging 999 CAD.

Assuming no changes to my current plans should finish the year with 51 SQS so not that appealing to me, but interesting that they don't really seem to be scaling the amount at all.
Cloud Lounger likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:58 pm

If you buy the buy-up I assume you only qualify for *next year* right? Whereas if you fly the extra miles now I think we still get early qualification for this year as well as next year so we would get at least extra eupgrades for use next year. So I think it still makes more sense to look for a flight to qualify rather than spend the $1k even if it's worth the $1k and even if the flight is otherwise a worthless trip.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AC50K, HHonors Gold
Going forward it might help to pay for an AEROPLAN VISA INFINITE / INFINITE PRIVILEGE card that earns SQS / SQM for credit card spending. Maybe you've already got one of these, but if you spend on the card AND have SQD for flights then 50k might not be that difficult to reach.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:44 am

One more data point from my end.

I received the offer on Nov 24th. Like the others it was for CAD999.

I am currently 35k (Covid legacy).
I have qualified for 2023 as 35k through cc spend.

My 2022 dashboard looks like this:
19k SQM
15 SQS
$2400 SQD

FWIW I am also 580k LQM
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:13 am
Suspended

I wonder if any 75K ever got this offer for SE status. Given the huge difference in SQD requirements between 75K and SE, it may be an incredibly great deal.

Guess AC will not offer this exactly because of this, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.