Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Aeroplan Partner: Bamboo Airways (Vietnam)

Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Don't have many details, but I was searching HAN-SIN this AM and noticed they were offering a connection in SGN with Bamboo Airways.

More searching revealed several bookable Bamboo destinations in Vietnam.

EDIT: Routes to LON, PAR, SYD, MEL as well.

Now I'm seeing mention in the usual places.

I expect an official announce will happen soon?

Good news.

Last edited by kalderlake; Nov 8, 2022 at 12:24 pm
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Here's an article from OMAAT.

I wonder what AC pays for all these reward seats on weird new partners. Are they all getting reciprocal access to AC X space, or is it something different?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Here's an article from OMAAT.

I wonder what AC pays for all these reward seats on weird new partners. Are they all getting reciprocal access to AC X space, or is it something different?
If they were variable priced awards I would be less surprised. That seems simple enough -- just book a revenue ticket and charge whatever number of points that's worth. But what I do find surprising is that these are fixed price awards. Presumably AC is either getting the tickets for fixed prices or at a price they're pretty sure they're not losing out on. That seems tough to negotiate.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by zkzkz
That seems tough to negotiate.
Why? Airlines negotiate rates between themselves all the time. Codeshare revenue, fare participation, IRROPs re-protection. This isnt any different.
cur, cnn and canadiancow like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Might be an interesting way to get to Australia from Europe with only one stop. The present challenge would be limited flight schedules. Vietnam does require a visa unless you are just transiting and the layovers could be lengthy with an inability to leave the international terminal. It is a really great country to visit though - especially Hanoi and Ha Long Bay so could be a route to use a stopover...giving myself ideas...
Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
I've been searching for a couple weeks now for an award ticket from AUS to S.E.Asia - cash fares on all airlines can be super expensive, especially in Biz class. Was super impressed to see availability even for Dec 2022 with Bamboo (45K in J one/way).
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:00 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by zkzkz
If they were variable priced awards I would be less surprised. That seems simple enough -- just book a revenue ticket and charge whatever number of points that's worth. But what I do find surprising is that these are fixed price awards. Presumably AC is either getting the tickets for fixed prices or at a price they're pretty sure they're not losing out on. That seems tough to negotiate.
OMAAT have an article on this topic:
https://onemileatatime.com/insights/...d-ticket-cost/
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I flew QH recently SGNHAN on a cheap Y cash ticket. Legroom is quite poor on their A320.

Theres no way for them to add Aeroplan numbers in their system - if you want to accrue, you will need to submit for retro credit.
cur, kalderlake and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
One odd thing is that advance seat selection for an AC ticket doesn't work on their web site. Their email support can't/won't do it. Their Facebook support can't/won't do it. They gave me two email addresses of a company in Thailand (because my flight starts there, I guess) to contact for seat selection, but neither of them bother to even reply.

That's just the start of the awfulness. The check-in agents in BKK can't print Bamboo boarding passes for the next sector and standard transfer desk agents at SGN can't print Bamboo boarding passes either. You are stuck in transit hell (no working WiFi, no shops except for SIM cards, no food, no drink) until Bamboo agents turn up. In theory, that is 3 hours before departure, but they are late and then dither around. They don't even ask you what your seat preference is and a 1 min job takes over 10 mins, when you've already been waiting for 2 hours.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by Kremmen; Mar 12, 2023 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 2, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Bamboo Airways Redemption Challenges

A major word of caution to those looking to travel on Bamboo. I booked a ticket of BKK-HAN-TYO-ORD-FRA which was very challenging to put together with Aeroplan. Granted this is an odd itinerary, this included both business and first class segments and for the amount of flying was a very reasonable redemption rate.

At check-in we were denied boarding due to not having a Vietnam visa. Bamboo does not have an interline agreement with any other airline. Despite what the Bamboo website says (and most governmental websites) you cannot just show up at the transfer desk in Hanoi. Maybe this is common knowledge to the warriors on here, but everywhere we read that transferring in Vietnam was ok as long as you remained airside and it was under 24 hours. It turns out Bamboo to Bamboo is ok because they have an agent meet the plane. But Bamboo to ANA is a no go. In fact, the transit desk at Hanoi does not even list ANA as a supported airline. Seems like most low cost carriers into Hanoi will be a similar challenge.

This was a massive headache (and incredibly stressful) with the added difficulty of limited aeroplan hours (not 24 hours), huge wait times, and some difficult agent. Ultimately, Air Canada general number cancelled the first two segments so we didn't get marked as a no-show. Was able to call aeroplan at 7am (east coast time) and luckily found a bamboo to bamboo connection that allowed us to connect to our onwards flights. We had luckily booked a 24 hour stopover in Tokyo.

The bamboo experience was a mixed bag as others have reported. Check-in at Bangkok was a mess and while ultimately the agents were right in not allowing us to board, the explanation and customer service could have been a bit better. The onboard product was lovely, with good food and attentive staff. Although the A321 5 hour red-eye flight from HAN to NRT was very odd with a 1.5 hour breakfast service to start and then the lights turned on to serve water and hand out forms about 2 hours prior to landing. So only about 1 hour of lights out on an overnighter in a recliner. The transit at Hanoi took 1.5 hours because only one bamboo staff member could work the two computer systems to issue the onward boarding pass.

This post is not meant as a complaint but just some words of caution. All the bloggers are talking about the amazing possibilities with Aeroplan. Indeed they are amazing, but there are nuances of putting together tickets with carriers that don't normally play together (alliances, etc...) that we certainly did not anticipate.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 4:59 pm

I agree about Bamboo. I flew with them in Sept, 2022 and had pleasant memories. Nice FAs and they provided good sincere service.
Flew with them again in Feb, 2023 from sgn to han, and unexpectedly from han to icn.
I forgot they are a low budget airline and have no inflight entertainment system.
Plus airport counter service at both sgn and han were not good, especially at han. Couldn't transfer my checked in luggage from their airline to the next.
At han, they wouldn't let me board with AP new booking and I had to pay for flight han to icn.
I would avoid Bamboo if possible.
I emailed them twice re my issue in past ~2.5 weeks and they have not replied back.
Old May 6, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Hyatt
Angry

Originally Posted by Speedy12
I agree about Bamboo. I flew with them in Sept, 2022 and had pleasant memories. Nice FAs and they provided good sincere service.
Flew with them again in Feb, 2023 from sgn to han, and unexpectedly from han to icn.
I forgot they are a low budget airline and have no inflight entertainment system.
Plus airport counter service at both sgn and han were not good, especially at han. Couldn't transfer my checked in luggage from their airline to the next.
At han, they wouldn't let me board with AP new booking and I had to pay for flight han to icn.
I would avoid Bamboo if possible.
I emailed them twice re my issue in past ~2.5 weeks and they have not replied back.
Also another caution from my side as well -- fell into the exact issue as others in this thread. Avoid Bamboo for connecting itineraries unless you have a very, very long connection as Bamboo does not have interline agreements with the other Star Alliance airlines. Family member was left stranded with no AP, Bamboo, or Eva Air (the connecting airline) help.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
To echo what others have said, do not book an itinerary with Bamboo airlines via Aeroplan that involves a transfer between airlines.

While it's possible to transit in Vietnam on the same airline, as Bamboo does not have code sharing or interline agreements with other airlines like EVA you will need to enter Vietnam and then check-in again.

I was almost stranded in BKK because of this, but thankfully I was able to get Aeroplan on the phone in a reasonable amount of time to get re-booked.

I have also written to Aeroplan to ask them to stop re-selling this itinerary.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Booked a Bamboo flight...Cannot add Aeroplan number on their website, is it something to be done upon check-in online/airport counter or is it a "report missing points" case after flying?

Last edited by Doors Closing; Aug 20, 2023 at 10:07 pm
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by smes
To echo what others have said, do not book an itinerary with Bamboo airlines via Aeroplan that involves a transfer between airlines.

While it's possible to transit in Vietnam on the same airline, as Bamboo does not have code sharing or interline agreements with other airlines like EVA you will need to enter Vietnam and then check-in again.

I was almost stranded in BKK because of this, but thankfully I was able to get Aeroplan on the phone in a reasonable amount of time to get re-booked.

I have also written to Aeroplan to ask them to stop re-selling this itinerary.
Why should AC stop selling such itineraries because you didnt meet the entry requirements? By that logic Aeroplan should stop selling connections through the US (or even Canada) because of transit visa requirements.

Originally Posted by Doors Closing
Booked a Bamboo flight...Cannot add Aeroplan number on their website, it is something to be done upon check-in online/airport counter or is it a "report missing points" case after flying?
The check-in counter should be able to sort it out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.