Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Promo Code When Forcing Routing Through Google Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I'm using Google Flights to force a multi-stop routing on an otherwise straightforward roundtrip, in order to undertake a mini-segment run. Today's Halloween sale provides a lovely 20% I could take off that trip, but booking directly through the AC website doesn't give me the stops/routing I want. Apologies if this is a daft question...but is there anything I'm missing? Is there a way to use the AC promo code via Google flights? With thanks in advance!
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Google flights will send you to another site to complete the booking. If it's sending you to AC then you should be able to enter it there at checkout but if it's coming up through a third party site then you'll be out of luck.

Have you tried booking it up as a multi-city trip directly on AC?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by colombianbrew
If it's sending you to AC then you should be able to enter it there at checkout
That's not how promo codes work on the AC website.
m.y likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's not how promo codes work on the AC website.
This was unfortunately my reason for posting...my understanding (though I stood to be corrected!) was that they had to be entered with your origin/destination/dates, rather than at checkout.

I have indeed, and AC is not allowing it.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 28, 2022 at 7:05 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 28, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by politico_pk
This was unfortunately my reason for posting...my understanding (though I stood to be corrected!) was that they had to be entered with your origin/destination/dates, rather than at checkout.

I have indeed, and AC is not allowing it.
For some reason, recently when I force Google flight to redirect me to AC, it’ll just go to the home page rather than the checkout page. Do you have similar experiences?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:29 pm

To get the routing I want, I phone reservations after booking online.
Never a problem within 24 hours.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
ITA Matrix with powertools will let you book with a promo code. You can also add &AUTHORIZATION_ID=YOUPROMOCODE to the URL
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:33 pm

I'm having a similar problem except ITA Matrix is giving me a higher price than Google Flights for a Comfort fare.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
The T & C for the 20% promo (current) explicitly state no multi-city routings.
colombianbrew and politico_pk like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:05 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
OK this looks new and interesting, so AC is likely working with Google to sync pricing and match the restriction on AC's promo codes in some markets/directions.

It's set up as some exclusive commercial fare so it doesn't show up in Google or AC's site upon fare review as a promotion being applied, but basically it's still a promo code which shows up in AC email after ticketing

This week's public Halloween code is M984UAP1, whereas the Google flight commercial code is N68XA4B1 after looking at the deeplink and upon ticketing

Using AC.com and/or matrix with &AUTHORIZATION_ID=, both yield the same exact price for a simple one way fare as well as black out days for my sample one way fare.

Can't say if this is good or bad, I suppose it's good for visiblity that one just need to search on Google and see all fares consistently without having to look for a code, but when it comes to changes (AC's promo code rule applies when making changes) I'm not sure how that would work since the commercial code rule is not displayed until after ticketing

Basically to answer the question, since AC system only allows one promo code and Google flight already has it set up, you can't apply another discount from Google flight even though it looks like there's no promo applied.
shcboomer likes this.

Last edited by jix; Nov 1, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.