Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: All inclusive family getaway on points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: All inclusive family getaway on points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:27 pm
wjw
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
All inclusive family getaway on points

Curious how people with a family and young kids look at point value for a nice winter resort getaway.

I’m 75k currently, and have a little over 300,000 Aeroplan points to play with, and some actual dollars as need be - though obviously wanting to limit the use of those. Me and Mrs. have a 2 year old. I’ve also got a load of priority rewards.

Looking at a week in Cancun (likely) in December. Option 1 would be to redeem points directly for a flight, which I know often is the best value. Using priority rewards, the three of us round trip (if including taxes and fees) is about 200k points. That would leave me with a 100k balance but would need to book the resort on my own. (Around $4,000)

Option 2 would be to book a package through AC Vacations which looks like about $5,500 all in and then I could use the 300k points for $3k off.

So in this option 1 would cost $4,000 plus 200k; option 2 would cost $2,500 plus 300k. I’m inclined to think the $1=100 pts redemption rate on a package is poor, but might be evened out from the savings on the package deal.

Any tips on the best way to maximize value on this sort of redemption? Or maybe I’m best to just pay cash and save the points for a less stereotypical redemption…
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
There's currently a promo where you get 25% more value for an ACV redemption.. ends October 31.. so you have to decide quickly!

Get 25% more with your points on an Air Canada Vacations® package

Save more on a package with your points
Until October 31, get 25% more value on your points when you redeem on an Air Canada Vacations® package.
Choose from trips to Europe, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, the United States and more. With packages that include flights and hotels, you'll get the most out of your vacation... and your points!

50k points gives $625 off. 300k would get you $3750 off.

Ron.
YOWgary and kalderlake like this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 7:53 pm
wjw
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by newfbc
There's currently a promo where you get 25% more value for an ACV redemption.. ends October 31.. so you have to decide quickly!

Get 25% more with your points on an Air Canada Vacations® package

Save more on a package with your points
Until October 31, get 25% more value on your points when you redeem on an Air Canada Vacations® package.
Choose from trips to Europe, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, the United States and more. With packages that include flights and hotels, you'll get the most out of your vacation... and your points!

50k points gives $625 off. 300k would get you $3750 off.

Ron.
Thanks! I remember seeing this now but totally forgot about it. Might tip the scales!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.