Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Missed Upgrade Sad Stories aka Do I Really Have To Fly PY?!

Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

A week ago it was J9. Yesterday J5. Now it’s J1 and I’m going to have to fly DOH-YYZ in premium economy.

Yes I’m the kind of person who complains about this, and yes I know I’m acting like a princess but I also know dozens of you reading this would feel the same way.

I’m incredulous. Who do I shout at for this terrible injustice? Doesn’t Air Canada know me by now? Don’t they understand my needs?

Unrelated, but how does one survive sitting up for 14 hours?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I've done SYD in Y in the PRE PE days (and PE in the...PE days)

It sucks, its not fun. You will still be around to tell the tale the following day

The little bottles of Gin and Tonic help
Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
A week ago it was J9. Yesterday J5. Now it’s J1 and I’m going to have to fly DOH-YYZ in premium economy.

Yes I’m the kind of person who complains about this, and yes I know I’m acting like a princess but I also know dozens of you reading this would feel the same way.

I’m incredulous. Who do I shout at for this terrible injustice? Doesn’t Air Canada know me by now? Don’t they understand my needs?

If ever Poe's Law applied to a FT post, it's now.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Don't be sure sure you won't clear. If ac.com.shows the flight as being 20J 787-9 and 150 seats total, they block 10J90Y for Qatar to sell. After the flight closes, AC will continue clearing eups into any unsold QR (AC) seat allocation.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

Yes!

I think the appropriate approach is to start by blaming the concierge, pivot to the credit card churners who STOLE your J seat from you, and end up drinking bad wine in PY while mumbling about the stupid people in zone 3.

As someone who survived a YVR-HKG MR in PY, my approach was to have a cow in J who would come back visit me periodically. While sipping his Champaign, of course. YMMV.

Also an emergency order for this neck cushion helped:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HY3S811 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HY3S811

Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I've been watching the YVR–HKG flight for November 6, but it's already down to a discouraging J3 O0. I haven't done this flight in Y in well over 10 years. I'd better order one of canopus27's emergency neck cushions!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
OMG.......

I woke up this morning having a nightmare.....ice caps were melting, war was ragging in some areas, people were going hungry, no plastic bags available at grocery stores, and Tim's double-double was over $2, but what scared me the most, what was unthinkable, Haines was the fact I was traveling on a long flight and my boarding pass had Zone 1, yes but......PY!
vancouver25k and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC SE
first mileage run was one day turn yvr-hkg in Y, got me early e35k (before there was 50/75).
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: TK *G
I did some YVR-Asia flights in PY back in 2014-16. It was alright. The recline was good and I had no problem sleeping 8+ hours. One thing I should add is that I was mostly flying in Y back then so PY was a huge upgrade for me. I did a few trips with J outbound and the PY inbound was ok but definitely not great.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
On the Internet, there are rumors that survivors exist.

I have not met any, so the stories may be untrue.
Cloud Lounger, m.y, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mountainboy
On the Internet, there are rumors that survivors exist.

I have not met any, so the stories may be untrue.
I've done HKG-EWR 16h sitting up... JNB-ATL 17.5h sitting up... I must be a ghastly ghoul haunting Internet Brands.
rankourabu, wrp96 and rt23456p like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I did YYZ-AMS once in PY.

It was pretty bad for various reasons.

Make sure your will is up to date.
wrp96, canopus27, YYC3722 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
It sounds like the OP is usually in the J cabin on long hauls. Upon landing, the J cabin exits first.

Ever taken a good look at the people coming from the back of the plane?

Me neither...
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Funny because my DOH YYZ next week is J9 with only 8 seats taken.
my outbound 3 weeks ago (2 hour late of course) went out with empty J seats too.

I fully expect empty J cabins on this route given the quality of the competition out of DOH.

I can't imagine the disappointment of someone who thought they were buying a QR flight only to find out its an AC codeshare....
Old Oct 19, 2022, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Funny because my DOH YYZ next week is J9 with only 8 seats taken.
my outbound 3 weeks ago (2 hour late of course) went out with empty J seats too.

I fully expect empty J cabins on this route given the quality of the competition out of DOH.

I can't imagine the disappointment of someone who thought they were buying a QR flight only to find out its an AC codeshare....
Flew a QSuite on the way here so even if I magically get the upgrade tomorrow it’s still going to be a downgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.