Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Fall Do - 7th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 5, 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Calgary Fall AC FT Do - 7th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening

Date: Saturday, November 5, 2022
Boarding Time: 18:00
Reservation is under Adam Smith; we'll be in the private room (after entering the restaurant, turn right and walk directly through the bar)

Current Availability
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R0 I0 O0 E0 A0 N0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 F0 X0
This is a Signature Class event, limited to J, C, D, Z, and P booking classes.

Confirmed pax (HK status)
  • Adam Smith
  • recreationaltimetraveller (Friday AC555/AC224 LAX-YVR-YYC; The Dorian; Sunday AC223/AC558 YYC-YVR-LAX)
  • D582 (Saturday AC8648 SFO-YYC; The Dorian; Sunday AC223/AC572 YYC-YVR-SFO)
  • folkart
  • Bohemian1 +1 (Saturday AC208 YVR-YYC; Westley; Sunday AC223 YYC-YVR)
  • canadiancow Friday DL 1203 / AC 8740 SFO-LAX-YYC; Hyatt Regency; Sunday AC 223/572 YYC-YVR-SFO
  • American Bovine (same as canadiancow)
  • Saydie11
  • BlondeBomber
  • HerpaYvr Nov 5th AC210 YVR-YYC & Nov 6th AC8393 YYC-YLW
  • canopus27
  • Melville
  • King Chung Huang (Saturday AC 227 YYC–YVR; leaving around 7:30-ish)
  • SearsTower
  • FlyWhere
  • YYC3722 +1 (Screw F1 and the Killers, we are having too much fun in the snow and don't want to miss the legendary Do)
  • Mrs. Smith

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do (HL status)
expert7700 +2
YYCnoob
Diabeetus
WaytoomuchEurope
HamptonIce
​​​​​​
Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night (UC status)
YOWGary
FlY2XS
tcook052
yyckiwi
nomadic.relief
CdnFlier
YYC3722 +1
fbrdky
painintheuk
yyznomad
zkzkz
yyckerr
boomerfss

(Cancelled due to lack of interest) Pre-flight entertainment - 2 PM meet at Simmons Building for coffee/sandwich, then Studio Bell (National Music Center)
fbrdky (organizer)

Important Event Notes - FAQ
  • It’s in November. That’s not really fall, is it?
    Yes, technically it’s still fall until December 21.
  • Will the YYC Fall Do offer superior dining and beverage service?
    Yes. The restaurant has a very long whisky list and the best burgers in town. You can savour a sit-down meal from the à la carte menu crafted for the Do.
  • What if I like hockey puck beef?
    Then you're a weirdo, but I guess you can ask them to do it.

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a Coke Zero, fish and white wine or whatever floats your boat.
  • We will have access to a few of the restaurant's recent Whisky Wednesday tasting menus which offer a flight of 3-4 whiskies at a reduced price. For past Do attendees, this is the same as previous years
Print Wikipost

YYC Fall Do - 7th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 5, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 5:14 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Here was the scene on Saturday morning. The great thing about YYC weather is you can take this whichever way you want: either we've already had our unseasonably early snowfall and should be okay for the Do, or winter is here and the Do is doomed (Do-omed?), weather-wise
So much for Fall, Mr. Smith.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Too short a trip for an-inflight Do
I don't even understand that sentence. Can you use those words in that order? I don't think so ... .

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
So much for Fall, Mr. Smith.
That's totally "Fall" for Calgary! You should see Winter ....
Adam Smith and YYCNoob like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 25, 2022 at 5:20 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Moved to confirmed. Looking forward to a burger and scotch!
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Should we list our flights, seats, and hotels on the wiki? I'm booked inbound to YYC on the 5th on AC210 in J, and outbound on the 6th on AC213 in J. No seats selected or hotels booked as of yet.
I am confirmed in J on AC210, will be in the YVR DOM MLL prior to flight
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:22 am

So I was joking about stopping in YYC on my way back from Europe to YUL but I now find myself checking out options so I may as well as myself to the waitlist.

I didn't pack for a Canadian winter though.... I suppose that's a problem that can be solved. Any hope of surviving YYC even for a day without a car or should I factor that in too?
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
How late do you think it will go?

=Adam Smith;34708532]Wiki is finally up. Based on responses in the thread and a couple of side conversations, I have the following people down as confirmed or maybes. Please update yourselves in the wiki as needed.

Confirmed:
Adam Smith @recreationaltimetraveller @D582 @folkart @Bohemian1 @canadiancow @Saydie11 @BlondeBomber @HerpaYvr @Nitehawk @canopus27 @Melville

Waitlisted: @painintheuk @expert7700 +2 @King Chung Huang @SearsTower @YYCNoob @Diabeetus Mrs. Boh American Bovine @WaytoomuchEurope @fbrdky @HamptonIce

Just realized that I have my niece’s wedding at 5 pm I would love to drop by with my other half later in the evening ( We will certainly be overdressed!)
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Any hope of surviving YYC even for a day without a car or should I factor that in too?
Depends what you want to do, but we have Uber here. Transit sucks, but if you just want to fly in the day of the Do and fly out the next morning, there's a bus between downtown and the airport, as well as a shuttle that @yyznomad used to frequent. Uber will probably run about $35 each way to/from downtown. Taxi maybe a couple bucks more. Town Car probably $60+.

If you want to go out to the mountains, there are even buses you can take out to Banff, although your ability to go hiking or explore outside of town will be limited.

So yes, definitely possible to not rent a car.

Originally Posted by Saydie11
How late do you think it will go? Just realized that I have my niece’s wedding at 5 pm I would love to drop by with my other half later in the evening ( We will certainly be overdressed!)
Buchanan's usually shuts down somewhere around midnight, then we typically head to a bar and/or someone's hotel. Drop by whenever! And I seem to recall @douglasr coming by before or after some swanky event last time this was a public event, so you wouldn't be the first
douglasr likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zkzkz
So I was joking about stopping in YYC on my way back from Europe to YUL but I now find myself checking out options so I may as well as myself to the waitlist.

I didn't pack for a Canadian winter though.... I suppose that's a problem that can be solved. Any hope of surviving YYC even for a day without a car or should I factor that in too?
​​​​​​
YYC without a car is easy enough -- get or share an uber downtown and back. As far as the temperatures, alcohol has a warming effect.

​​​​​​We are still waitlisted due to a conflict we are trying to resolve. Shame it seems the 4Y (Aeroplan bookable operated by Finnair) flight to YYC ended. A connection in Germany between LAS and YYC would have been the most efficient.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by canopus27
Thanks Adam Smith .

I arrive in Calgary (late) the night before - does anyone have any interest in getting together for a pre-do (for lunch, etc)?
Due to a family event, I can no longer attend the main (evening) Do and have adjusted the wiki.
However, I would still like to do a pre-do as canopus27 suggested. Perhaps a visit to Studio Bell in East Village with or without a lunch (Sidewalk citizen, Charbar, Chinatown noodle shop, etc)

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

If you want to go out to the mountains, there are even buses you can take out to Banff, although your ability to go hiking or explore outside of town will be limited.

So yes, definitely possible to not rent a car.
This site is the bus to the town of Banff. And then the regional bus will get you to a couple of trailhead like Johnson Canyon and Inkpots (moderate hike) and Sulfur Mountain (summit hike) as well as Lake Louise
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 4, 2022 at 5:05 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by fbrdky
Due to a family event, I can no longer attend the main (evening) Do and have adjusted the wiki.
However, I would still like to do a pre-do as canopus27 suggested. Perhaps a visit to Studio Bell in East Village with or without a lunch (Sidewalk citizen, Charbar, Chinatown noodle shop, etc)
Please feel free to put something together. I don't have time to organize it, and may or may not join for some portion of it, but whoever's interested can certainly get it going.

Buchanan's should be open at 5, so if anyone wants to just head there a little early, that should also be an option.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thinking about attending. I live in YEG and could drive down for the night. We don't have to fly in correct?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boomerfss
Thinking about attending. I live in YEG and could drive down for the night. We don't have to fly in correct?
I dunno, this isn't DriverTalk
Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boomerfss
Definitely not! If/when you confirm, let us know and someone will add you to the wiki since you're not yet at 90 posts
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Unfortunately I am out. Adam Smith .

The Mrs has COVID, is coughing non-stop and not sleeping. Either I will end up with it by then, or if not, I will be in the dog house for not looking after the kids that weekend while the Mrs. continues to recover (the last time she had it, it took close to 2 months to get back to normal).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Unfortunately I am out. Adam Smith .

The Mrs has COVID, is coughing non-stop and not sleeping. Either I will end up with it by then, or if not, I will be in the dog house for not looking after the kids that weekend while the Mrs. continues to recover (the last time she had it, it took close to 2 months to get back to normal).
Sorry to hear that! After all these years on FT and being in YYC, I was hoping we'd finally get a chance to meet

If anything changes, you know where to find us

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.