Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How Does This Happen - J Seat Suddenly Changed on Checkin

Old Sep 21, 22, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Me and MrsITAG off on a 777 overseas omorrow.

We'd been assigned to 5K and 6K for months, and I just checked an hour ago. But now, on checkin, I'm in 5K and she's been moved to the less desirable 7K.

Thoughts?

- seat IRROP?
- concierge chicancery?
- pilot assignment?

Is there any way of finding out what happened? I'm kind of pissed off.

H
Old Sep 21, 22, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
I have no explanation re: the cause ... but this has happened to me (technically, flights booked by me, for my parents) before.

I would love to understand the reason -- and some (justifiable) explanation when the change is/was made would be appreciated.
Old Sep 21, 22, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Why do you find 7K less desirable? I always pick 7A/K (or whatever the last row is on a given A/C) because of the extra space beside the seat for storage and the privacy of noone beside me! I'm sure 6K would be happy to move back or forward.

Annoying I agree. Likely a swap between aircraft maybe and the system failed to keep you together.
billdokes likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K AC-MM BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb
Originally Posted by mikeyyz View Post
Why do you find 7K less desirable?
Could be that it is closer to the galley and therefore noisier.
Annerk likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyyz View Post
Why do you find 7K less desirable? I always pick 7A/K .
One less window.
caziz and msat like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Try to correct it tomorrow. Augment Pilot seat if applicable is 7K not 6K. Odd.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Try to correct it tomorrow. Augment Pilot seat if applicable is 7K not 6K. Odd.
I've decided to let it go. MrsITAG is happy with 7K; I don't like it due to missing window and extra galley noise. I'll give major stink eye to whomever is in 6k. Still annoyed.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy View Post
I've decided to let it go. MrsITAG is happy with 7K; I don't like it due to missing window and extra galley noise. I'll give major stink eye to whomever is in 6k. Still annoyed.
You should be annoyed. Talk to 6K. In this case your trading apples for apples.
Enjoy your flight!
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:26 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I am currently scheduled on an A330 to MXP where I had 8A (I prefer last row like poster above). I got a notification of seat change and low and behold, plane has been swapped to the XM classic pod. So now I am keeping 8A in case it swaps back vs. moving to 9A and getting booted to a random available seat.

I have also learned to avoid booking last window seat in K because of the number of times I have been booted for a pilot rest seat. It has happened to me to TLV.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happened to me once. I later found the seat I had originally booked ended up empty. I think I asked an FA whether there was an issue with the seat, but the FA had no idea.
BoredBiz likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, WS Gold
Broken seat is one reason - if they know that a seat is currently broken on the fin being scheduled they will move you to a working seat. The seat might be fixed by the time of the flight but they don't want the risk of you being downgraded due to a known broken seat.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
Broken seat is one reason - if they know that a seat is currently broken on the fin being scheduled they will move you to a working seat. The seat might be fixed by the time of the flight but they don't want the risk of you being downgraded due to a known broken seat.
Downgrade priority does not look at who's assigned to the broken seat. You're just more likely to be moved to some other arbitrary seat.
Old Sep 22, 22, 1:05 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Hilton Diamond; UA Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Downgrade priority does not look at who's assigned to the broken seat. You're just more likely to be moved to some other arbitrary seat.
This happened to me once on AC, LAX-YYZ on 787. My business pod/seat was swapped about 6 hours prior to departure, and when I boarded my original seat was marked with INOP tape and seat cushion removed. F/A said it had been INOP on way from YYZ-LAX that morning as well. I ended up with a similar seat so I wasn't terribly concerned about it.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Some closure. 6K is occupied. MrsITAG asked him, politely, if he did anything specal for his seat assignment, indicating that she had it up to 30 minutes before checkin. he sort of gae her a blank look, indicated he just checked in today and that was the seat he had been assigned.

I suspect the seat was IRROPS at some point and then returned to service. He appears innocent. (-;
canopus27, YULRvR and mjmqm like this.

Search this Thread