Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Welcome to your connection in" e-mails / texts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

I flew YYC-YUL-YYT a few weeks ago. Around the time we arrived in YUL, I received an e-mail with the subject "Welcome to your connection in Montreal (YUL)".

It had details on my next flight, including gate, scheduled start of boarding, and scheduled gate closing time. A text message arrived about the same time with just the gate number and scheduled departure time.

I believe that's the first time I've received such an e-mail or text from AC, and didn't find any record of these here on FT.

Anyone else gotten them? I didn't receive one the next day when connecting through YYZ, so I'm not sure whether they're testing this out or what.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 21, 2022 at 2:35 pm Reason: Fixed formatting
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:11 pm

Searching my inbox, I can find two such emails, the oldest one from 18 AUG. They do represent 100% of my connections since 18 AUG. Both connections were through YYZ.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I've received both a text and email on my last two flights, which were today and September 13th, both connected in YVR. I think it's useful for a short connection. Today's text which I received on arrival at YVR telling me to make my way to my Gate was a little "inaccurate" given I have about an 8 hour layover before my next flight. The email is better in that it just gives the Gate number and tells you it closes 20 minutes before departure.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: hahaha
Have only gotten it once in my last five connections throughout August/Sept

HNL-YVR-YEG

"Welcome to Vancouver! Your connecting flight AC242 is departing at 16:05 PDT. Please make your way to Gate C43. You will need to clear customs and clear security."

Except I didn't need to clear security because the ITD facility was open that morning :P

But also, there was a gate change to C41 (understandable, they sent the text an entire workday before I was due to depart) which happened when I was in the MLL so I didn't know about it until they sent the "boarding" SMS message. So that'd be a nice thing to fix

Last edited by asovse1; Sep 21, 2022 at 3:02 pm
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I got them on Saturday connecting in YYZ to IAH, and again today in YYZ to YYC.

I wonder what the messages say in the case of a misconnect or irrops?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
I've gotten them recently for my connections in YUL and YYC. Seems to be consistent
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:47 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I got a few over the last two weeks as well. Not 100% of the time though.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:53 pm

Got one on Friday transiting YVR.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:07 pm

First one received on June 23, it's helpful indeed for short connections.

Vancouver to Toronto – AC 126
Jun 23, 10:25 PM–Jun 24, 5:48 AM
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA does this for sure. Did not get this either way transiting YVR in summer.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I got one this morning connecting through YYZ and was surprised to see it. I agree with the earlier post about the inaccurate suggestion of heading to my gate given a two hour layover, but I actually don’t mind this initiative at all. A US carrier (I think it was United but I’m sure others here would know better than me) had something similar but more comprehensive when I connected through IAH this past spring: I got a notification welcoming me to my connection and inviting me to click for further details. When I did, the airline app opened and I was guided step by step from one gate to the next - Ie follow this hallway, turn right, etc. For frequent fliers or those super comfortable in airports, perhaps overkill. But for many travelers, probably some welcome support!

[edit: after posting I noticed the post right above mine confirming it was United!]
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM

Connecting from USA -> YUL -> LHR
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
I received this email on my last international connection... Problem was it was 24 hours late
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
Received at all my connections on a recent YYZ-YEG-YVR/YYJ-YVR-YYZ.

Only problem was, as noted above, the YEG stop was a 20 hour stop, so being told to "please make your way to your gate" was a bit much...
Old Oct 20, 2022, 4:59 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I got one of these the other day doing FRA-YUL-YYC. It wasn't particularly helpful, as it made no mention of OSS. Now, I had a 7-hour layover (to have lunch at Schwartz's and visit a friend), so OSS wasn't all that important to me (although I did use it as it was empty vs a small queue down in the main hall), but for the FOTSGs I assume these e-mails are mostly oriented at, I think that would have been very useful.

Shockingly with that long of a layover, the gate mentioned in the e-mail ended up being correct, although I believed it changed a couple of times in the interim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.