Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business class booking from Canada to JNB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude SEMM

I am looking at booking flights YYT-JNB for May/June 2023 in business class. The AC website is showing some reasonable fares, but when you go to the flight selection page, for the best fares it shows that the XXX-JNB portion of the flight (where XXX is, e.g., FRA or ZRH) will be seated in Economy class. Anyone know why this is or if there is a way around it?

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Use a TA, I believe they can force it. It is one of those weird rules of ticketing that the website does not always handle well
YOWgary likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Diamond
But is it not likely that the OP’s “reasonable fares” are because the EU leg was pricing in Y?
So although a TA (or a call to AC) to likely book business (if seats available on those legs) the price would likely be less reasonable…
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by Burgertime
But is it not likely that the OP’s “reasonable fares” are because the EU leg was pricing in Y?
So although a TA (or a call to AC) to likely book business (if seats available on those legs) the price would likely be less reasonable…
I don't think so. I was able to reproduce what I think the OP is referring to and they were P fares without availability on all legs.
I found P4 all the way through on some dates, but AC's site is not helpful with this of course.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
There aren't a lot of days when P class is available in May/June from FRA or ZRH to JNB but availability on the AC codeshare on these segments seems to be even worse. You could call AC and ask if they can put you on the LH or LX flight number, if they are unwilling to do that you need a travel agent. The AC fare (PRCT87) certainly allows LH or LX flight numbers.

unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:23 pm

AC has gotten ridiculous with their MIXED SEATING. I'm looking at yvr to Bangkok and all you get is mixed seating in premium or business. And the number of points has tripled in the last two years in business.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
These P Fares are great. However, I can see over the past couple years that LX blocks P class quite a lot on this route. I know it sounds crazy but back in around 2014/2015 when "P" became a thing - - LX was not up to speed yet and the fares all mapped into D class on LX . . . . and . . these were upgradable to First with SAUA points. I will never forget the $1500 fare from YVR-ZRH-JNB where the two LX segments we flew in first . . .

Anyhow - on this - go find the flights with the P fare open in LH/LX and then work back from that. Also - these fares have historically allowed BA from LHR too - so check on that and I would expect that maps to "I" on BA.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by mech11
AC has gotten ridiculous with their MIXED SEATING. I'm looking at yvr to Bangkok and all you get is mixed seating in premium or business. And the number of points has tripled in the last two years in business.
Direct flight shouldn't be mixed seating , unless they kick you out of J somewhere over the pacific and put you in PY.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:02 am

Programs: AC SE
I know this has been discussed in the past, but is it still possible to book J seats for YYZ - EWR - JNB on AC ticket stock (taking an AC flight for YYZ-EWR and UA from EWR-JNB)? When I use Matrix I can find it in economy, but can't find J availability.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:33 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I know this has been discussed in the past, but is it still possible to book J seats for YYZ - EWR - JNB on AC ticket stock (taking an AC flight for YYZ-EWR and UA from EWR-JNB)? When I use Matrix I can find it in economy, but can't find J availability.
Which AC fares are you seeing that allow UA on the intercontinental segments?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Which AC fares are you seeing that allow UA on the intercontinental segments?
I've seen plenty of them offered up on the AC website for transatlantic flights to/from Europe where they have the profit sharing arrangement between AC/UA/LH but I suspect it doesn't extend to Africa.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:45 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
These P Fares are great. However, I can see over the past couple years that LX blocks P class quite a lot on this route. I know it sounds crazy but back in around 2014/2015 when "P" became a thing - - LX was not up to speed yet and the fares all mapped into D class on LX . . . . and . . these were upgradable to First with SAUA points. I will never forget the $1500 fare from YVR-ZRH-JNB where the two LX segments we flew in first . . .
I agree. This regularly happens when LX segments are involved.

It's not a big deal to sit in the back on a European segment - it's the same seat and seat pitch after all - but can be annoying when LX agents are super strikt with the carry-on rules. My carry-on was 1kg too heavy on one of those mixed fares because I had wooden shoe trees and they made me repack my shoe trees from my garment bag to my briefcase. I doubt this would have happened with a booking in C.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
I've seen plenty of them offered up on the AC website for transatlantic flights to/from Europe where they have the profit sharing arrangement between AC/UA/LH but I suspect it doesn't extend to Africa.
Sure, my question was in respect of the fares to JNB.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: AC SE
When I looked a few weeks ago, I saw options that allowed me to book a whole economy itinerary on an Air Canada ticket. This was not available through the AC site but only via Matrix. However, when I look now, I don't see these options for either economy or business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.