Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Missing a partner connection on an AC ticketed PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Missing a partner connection on an AC ticketed PNR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:41 pm
wjw
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Missing a partner connection on an AC ticketed PNR

I have a flight coming up with leg 1 on AC and the following two legs on TK, all ticketed via AC.

70 minute connection in AMS and the flight appears to I almost always run late. The outbound from AMS is also frequently delayed so that may work to my advantage.

However I have two questions in the event I miss the connection:
  1. Am I correct that I would talk to Turkish in AMS as that’s the carrier for my onwards journey?
  2. I can see with ita matrix that there are a later two legs on TK, but they don’t appear to be sold by AC (if I try to change my flight on AC to allow a longer connection there isn’t another option). Despite not being offered for sale on AC, would it be likely to be rebooked onto these flights in the case of a late AC arrival at AMS?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by wjw
  1. Am I correct that I would talk to Turkish in AMS as that’s the carrier for my onwards journey?
  2. I can see with ita matrix that there are a later two legs on TK, but they don’t appear to be sold by AC (if I try to change my flight on AC to allow a longer connection there isn’t another option). Despite not being offered for sale on AC, would it be likely to be rebooked onto these flights in the case of a late AC arrival at AMS?
1. In theory it should be the carrier that causes the misconnection which rebooks you, which in this case will be AC. I say in theory because when the misconnect happens in an outstation, all bets are off. If you can't get hold of any AC staff at AMS, then try asking someone at TK to see if they'll help. As a last resort you'll have to call AC reservations to sort you out.

2. If any disruptions happen on the day of travel, the fare becomes irrelevant. AC has to get you to your destination on the ticket by any means. That could mean a later flight, totally different airlines and/or routing.

Hopefully any delays to YYZ-AMS are posted in advance, so you'll have time to fix it before leaving YYZ.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:19 pm
wjw
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
1. In theory it should be the carrier that causes the misconnection which rebooks you, which in this case will be AC. I say in theory because when the misconnect happens in an outstation, all bets are off. If you can't get hold of any AC staff at AMS, then try asking someone at TK to see if they'll help. As a last resort you'll have to call AC reservations to sort you out.

2. If any disruptions happen on the day of travel, the fare becomes irrelevant. AC has to get you to your destination on the ticket by any means. That could mean a later flight, totally different airlines and/or routing.

Hopefully any delays to YYZ-AMS are posted in advance, so you'll have time to fix it before leaving YYZ.

Thanks for this. I don’t typically book such quick connections, but as it was the only thing available through AC I went with it vs a TK itinerary to secure SQD.

We’ll see what happens. T-8 days, so I’ll just keep my fingers crossed. AC826 has been close to on time a couple of times recently. Guess there’s not much to do but wait and see how it unfolds on my day of travel.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 6:51 pm

75 minutes for an AMS International to International connection from a "safe" country isn't short. If you are delayed before departure, you can just deal with AC at your departure aiport. If you are delayed enroute you will likely be automatically rebooted, but the automatic rebooking may not be the best option.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
In most cases, you should know at YYZ if you'll make the connection or not--the one exception I can think of is if you are estimated to arrive with ~30-40 min to spare but have an unusually long taxi upon arrival or something. If you know you won't make it ahead of time, have AC rebook you before boarding the flight to AMS.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:01 pm
wjw
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aliquot
75 minutes for an AMS International to International connection from a "safe" country isn't short. If you are delayed before departure, you can just deal with AC at your departure aiport. If you are delayed enroute you will likely be automatically rebooted, but the automatic rebooking may not be the best option.
It’s short when in the last seven days it was late:
96 minutes
75 minutes
83 minutes
76 minutes
116 minutes
49 minutes
70 minutes

Originally Posted by dkc192
In most cases, you should know at YYZ if you'll make the connection or not--the one exception I can think of is if you are estimated to arrive with ~30-40 min to spare but have an unusually long taxi upon arrival or something. If you know you won't make it ahead of time, have AC rebook you before boarding the flight to AMS.
Would that be done at check-in? I’m 75k so don’t benefit from concierge but would the check in agent be the person to talk to? If the delay is announced closer to departure, lounge agent, or have to go to a customer service desk?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 12, 2022 at 7:07 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.