Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why isn't there an Aeroplan Mastercard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks

Does anyone know of a Mastercard that is Aeroplan branded? Do VISA and Amex have the exclusive rights?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Why would there be? Most airlines have one issuer with cards on one network domestically, and the issuer pays dearly for the privilege. AC has three issuers (CIBC, TD, Amex) with cards on two networks (Visa, Amex). The Chase card is a Mastercard, if you're willing to get a US card. But why do you care? Amex may have a much lower acceptance rate, but the rates for Visa and Mastercard are virtually identical.
FlY2XS and onetouchpass like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Yes, the Chase Aeroplan card in the USA is MasterCard.
canadiancow, SKYEG and D582 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:26 pm

Check the US Cards. There is a Chase one.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Costco is the only reason I have a MC. Everything else goes on my TD VIP.
annehamnitz and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by ETStar
Does anyone know of a Mastercard that is Aeroplan branded? Do VISA and Amex have the exclusive rights?
There's no Canadian Air Canada Mastercard because CIBC, TD, and Visa funded the airline's re-acquisition of Aeroplan
vernonc, kalderlake and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by trek604
Costco is the only reason I have a MC. Everything else goes on my TD VIP.
I get around this by purchasing Costco gift cards on costco.ca using my Aeroplan VIP card, and using the gift cards in store. The Costco Canada website accepts both Visa and MasterCard for payment. So, all you want to do is earn Aeroplan points from your purchases at Costco, then this will work.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I want a Mastercard to pay for premium gas at Costco (in BC that saves 20+ cents per liter). That's the only reason I want to add a Mastercard to my wallet. That being said, as someone without an aeroplan credit card, I would certainly prefer a Mastercard if they offered it.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They do offer it. Through Chase.
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
rates for Visa and Mastercard are virtually identical.
I have been surprised by merchants only accepting one or the other, so it pays to carry both.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The ironic part of the Costco angle is that in the USA Costco only takes VISA!
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I get around this by purchasing Costco gift cards on costco.ca using my Aeroplan VIP card, and using the gift cards in store. The Costco Canada website accepts both Visa and MasterCard for payment. So, all you want to do is earn Aeroplan points from your purchases at Costco, then this will work.
Watch when you do this as you lose the insurance benefits made available through your Aeroplan VIP card. Accidental damage & extended warranty.
Costco is pretty good with returns but you still do lose out on coverage. Holding a Mastercard with similar insurance may be a better option depending on how much you purchase and in what categories.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The ironic part of the Costco angle is that in the USA Costco only takes VISA!
Nope - they will also accept the Costco Mastercard.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:12 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
I’ve always carried one premium card and one no-fee card and always seems to work out well, although those cards shift over time. Currently it’s the Amex Aeroplan Reserve and the CIBC Costco MasterCard. Everything goes through the Amex unless it’s a retailer that doesn’t take Amex.

In practise, Costco trips are the only time I use the MasterCard, although it’s always useful to have (especially overseas) for those times I encounter places that don’t take “American”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.