SE Overnight Benefits in YYZ

Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
SE Overnight Benefits in YYZ

I almost got stuck in YYZ tonight due to a cancelled flight. Fortunately found a rebooking for tonight, but it got me wondering: what would the overnight stay have looked like?

I know that the quality of the hotel and value of the meal vouchers changes depending on status level, and when I was a 50K and got stuck in Houston it was a pretty dank hotel they stuck me in, so I'm curious how different it would be now as an SE.

Has any SE here gotten stuck in Toronto overnight due to a cancellation? What hotel did they put you up at and what did they do for transport and food?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:04 pm

Doesn’t answer your question but…

Your best bet would have been to walk over to the Sheraton attached to the airport and book yourself a nice room there…. Screw dealing with AC staff or having AC put you in a hotel that they want to put you in. Just keep the receipts for credit card insurance. Also works if you wanted to go downtown for something nice and a nice restaurant meal.

… you do have credit card travel insurance right? The best part is it works at any airport in any city with any airline!

i would gather that the insurance company then goes after AC for some of the cost recovery.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
I've been stuck in YYZ once this year. I was given the Alt hotel, I was told that they no longer do the Sheraton gateway (an unfortunate change). Meals you get very little, around $20.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakersdozen
Doesnt answer your question but

Your best bet would have been to walk over to the Sheraton attached to the airport and book yourself a nice room there. Screw dealing with AC staff or having AC put you in a hotel that they want to put you in.

you do have credit card travel insurance right?
Hah, I hadn't even thought of that. I have CC insurance and a separate travel insurance, I wonder if they stack...

Looks like I'm going to get stuck in IAH overnight now because the flight they rebooked me on is delayed and I'll miss the connection. Concierge said "we don't have a Concierge in IAH so you'll have to book it yourself and get reimbursed." I asked how much I could get reimbursed for, they didn't have an answer. So I'm supposed to book it myself, with no guidelines for a value. Is this a risk or an opportunity? 🤣

But also... it's not like the concierge is going to walk into the hotel to make the reservation. Why does it matter if a concierge in IAH or YYZ makes the hotel booking? Not having a concierge office in IAH really shouldn't make a difference, unless I'm missing something.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you're on a delayed AC flight, talk to the agent who meets the flight.

Or just book yourself something "reasonable".
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by JordanK
Looks like I'm going to get stuck in IAH overnight now because the flight they rebooked me on is delayed and I'll miss the connection. Concierge said "we don't have a Concierge in IAH so you'll have to book it yourself and get reimbursed." I asked how much I could get reimbursed for, they didn't have an answer. So I'm supposed to book it myself, with no guidelines for a value. Is this a risk or an opportunity? 🤣
It's a risk since when the delay suddenly becomes uncontrollable after you submit your receipts, it's a long and painful road to reimbursement. And I'd say they tend to err on the side of uncontrollable delay to avoid APPR compensation.

Travel insurance or CC insurance are definitely the way to go, I prefer standalone insurance since there's less exclusions than CC insurance (in my experience). CCs seemed to have limited cases where they'd cover it (expecting the airline to pay otherwise).
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I only had one overnight with AC and it was when I was 1K with UA, no AC status. There was literally nothing available in toronto for hotel due to blizzard and cancellations but AC still proactively met me at the jetbridge when I landed for my missed connection with a BP for the next day in J, meal, hotel and limo voucher. I had no clue how they found a hotel as I spent the time on flight trying to book something in advance.

turns out it was some sketchy one lol only one that had space, it was pretty funny when I pulled up in the S Class Mercedes provided by AC to this dingy motel with all these dudes drinking and smoking right at the front doors. Some were smoking in the lobby lol!!!

either way I was appreciative The staff there was really nice lol they were other AC customers that came after me a older couple and they were horrified Hahahhahaha.

There was literally nothing available in the area I checked again after seeing / smelling the room. Didnt sleep well though LOL.

meal voucher was for like $35-$50 I cant remember it wasnt much(*it was $50 I checked). But the car service transport back and forth, and the accommodation provided due to weather was still good for me - I didnt expect it at all. It was a disaster that day at YYZ and I was surprised how well they were taking care of people. At the boarding gate, not just me but everyone else as met with new BPs for missed connections. Not sure if everyone else got what I did like the hotel and limo but I assume so. Pretty impressive service for bad weather imo as just UA*G. I cant remember if I was in paid J or aeroplan J.

Must have been a comfort inn or something. Lol 😂
gokeeper and unclepants like this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Sep 5, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I only had one overnight with AC and it was when I was 1K with UA, no AC status. There was literally nothing available in toronto for hotel due to blizzard and cancellations but AC still proactively met me at the jetbridge when I landed for my missed connection with a BP for the next day in J, meal, hotel and limo voucher. I had no clue how they found a hotel as I spent the time on flight trying to book something in advance.
Wow, that is pretty impressive for not even having AC status. I assume this must have been "back in the day" when the concierge service was a little more... substantial.

In all fairness, the concierge at YYZ just emailed me to confirm that she had spoken with the AC supervisor in IAH, who has promised to ensure that there will be a hotel voucher ready for me upon arrival. I appreciate that she made the effort, given that the "system" apparently prohibits her from booking a hotel herself.

I imagine there won't be a Mercedes waiting for me to drive me there, but I'll take what I can get. If it's a shady hotel, I might just skip the voucher and go the travel insurance route (although I'd really prefer not having to deal with an insurance company).
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by JordanK
Wow, that is pretty impressive for not even having AC status. I assume this must have been "back in the day" when the concierge service was a little more... substantial.

In all fairness, the concierge at YYZ just emailed me to confirm that she had spoken with the AC supervisor in IAH, who has promised to ensure that there will be a hotel voucher ready for me upon arrival. I appreciate that she made the effort, given that the "system" apparently prohibits her from booking a hotel herself.

I imagine there won't be a Mercedes waiting for me to drive me there, but I'll take what I can get. If it's a shady hotel, I might just skip the voucher and go the travel insurance route (although I'd really prefer not having to deal with an insurance company).
Yeah I would have went that route but there was literally nothing available for me to book Im not even sure how AC found that place for me as it was also not available to book online. Thats why I was even more grateful lol better than sleeping at airport
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've been stuck in YYZ (and YUL) more times than I can count, as a SE.

Usually, when it's a relatively isolated flight, I get something like $60 with of food vouchers, and a Sheraton chit, and the morning flight BP to wherever, met on the airbridge. Or at least at their landside office after a text message.

More than twice, it's an off campus Marriott, with basically useless taxi chits. I always pay cash getting there, and take the shuttle back. I imagine the redemption rate on AC issued taxi chits is ~0%.

Having Marriot (and AC) status, and thus lounges, the food chits turn into booze, and I eat "for free".

Curiously, I tend to get Marriott room credit.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
For IAH I would expect the agent meeting the flight would have hotel vouchers, but wouldn’t single you out as a SE for special treatment. I don’t have any YYZ data, but in YVR is misconnected once and as a SE got a room at the Fairmont, which was notably different than everyone else.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I have stayed in YYZ both at the Sheraton and ALT. Two months ago in YUL, I stayed at the Marriot.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:30 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
As a 25k they put me up at the 4 Points by Sheraton near YYZ. Airport shuttle--nothing special. They gave us food vouchers for about $20/px iirc. Family was split on two PNRs. Both were awards. 1 Latitude Economy (25k & 2txts) and 1 Premium Economy Flex (no status & 1 txt). The Latitude ticket was rebooked on the AC flight the next afternoon. The Premium Eco ticket was rebooked on a DL cxn via LGA the next morning. Agents at YYZ couldn't get us all on the DL flight, but after a few calls and tweets I woke up to 3 tickets on Delta. Still a bit upset about the whole situation. We spent over 3hrs on the ramp before going inside, waiting some more, and finally the cancel. AC paid out $500CAD/px.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by zappy312
It's a risk since when the delay suddenly becomes uncontrollable after you submit your receipts, it's a long and painful road to reimbursement. And I'd say they tend to err on the side of uncontrollable delay to avoid APPR compensation.
Youre telling me. It took me since April to get a refund for a confirmed bid upgrade on a flight that ended up being canceled. Probably one of the easiest slam dunk refund issues and it took 5 months (and 3 emails).
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
We had a misconnect in YYZ in 2019. There were 6 pax on a single Aeroplan booking.

The concierge met us at the jetbridge and handed each of us a toiletry kit and three hotel room vouchers for the Westin Toronto Airport hotel. She had a prepaid limo waiting for us with a return car service voucher for the following morning.

There were also breakfast vouchers, but our flight was early the next morning, so we had to leave the hotel prior to the time breakfast started.

Overall I was quite pleased with how they handled it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.