Misconnect at YUL - how handled?

Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Misconnect at YUL - how handled?

Flying soon, IAD-YUL-FRA-beyond. Will def. misconnect (1.5 hrs transfer, incoming flight is late by >1-2hrs every day for weeks, outbound mostly on time or short delay). There is another option for my itinerary that leaves YUL at 9pm, so hopefully AC can move me to that. If I can convince AC agents to do so proactively at IAD - great, if not, trying to figure out the logistics as time will be limited:

1. Is there dedicated customer service somewhere (in particular in the US or intl. areas) at YUL I can talk to? Is there cs at the lounge?
2. How is baggage handling at YUL? What are the chances they will successfully intercept and redirect my bag?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tr3k
Flying soon, IAD-YUL-FRA-beyond. Will def. misconnect (1.5 hrs transfer, incoming flight is late by >1-2hrs every day for weeks, outbound mostly on time or short delay). There is another option for my itinerary that leaves YUL at 9pm, so hopefully AC can move me to that. If I can convince AC agents to do so proactively at IAD - great, if not, trying to figure out the logistics as time will be limited:

1. Is there dedicated customer service somewhere (in particular in the US or intl. areas) at YUL I can talk to? Is there cs at the lounge?
2. How is baggage handling at YUL? What are the chances they will successfully intercept and redirect my bag?
1. There is customer service at the airport or you will have to call. Lounge agents do not have the power to help. Staff at IAD will be useless, they have no rebooking power, they ll tell you to call AC or deal at YUL. If you know you ll be late call AC before you leave YUL. If you get thru the phone agents are great.

2. You may not see your bag for a while if you misconnect. Plan for it.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
1. There is customer service at the airport or you will have to call. Lounge agents do not have the power to help. Staff at IAD will be useless, they have no rebooking power, they ll tell you to call AC or deal at YUL. If you know you ll be late call AC before you leave YUL. If you get thru the phone agents are great.
You mean before I leave IAD, right? Ok, will def. try to call day of flight.

2. You may not see your bag for a while if you misconnect. Plan for it.
Ugh, that will be bad - I have another flight on a separate ticket after this one. I had to deal with lost bags in the past, but always at the final destination, so they usually turned up in a day or two. Can it be delivered to another country? Am I SOL? It's a long term trip - bag is not optional.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, your best bet is to get a phone agent to rebook you before checking in at IAD, which would presumably require a delay to be posted by then. If so, your bags will be tagged for your newly rebooked flights.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dkc192
Yeah, your best bet is to get a phone agent to rebook you before checking in at IAD, which would presumably require a delay to be posted by then. If so, your bags will be tagged for your newly rebooked flights.
Also ask about any operational disruption plans, may be something unpublished allowing free SDC.. or perhaps your fare allows free / fixed cost SDC. perhaps fly thru YYZ instead.of YUL.

day-of, i would check status of your IAD flight and its inbound plus your FRA flight and its incoming.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
Will try, but hard to tell - based on the flight info I am tracking, delay is usually posted about 1 hr before the flight (by which point I should be checked in).

I wonder if they might be willing to modify the flight based on the delay of the incoming aircraft (every delay IAD-YUL is predicated on the delay of YUL-IAD naturally, which in itself is 1+ hr late every day for months).

Checked bag makes this a precarious situation - otherwise wouldn't really worry much.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Lounge agents do not have the power to help.
That's not true at all. I've occasionally had MLL agents say they can't help, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Staff at IAD will be useless, they have no rebooking power.
​​​​​​​
If IAD is contract (and I don't know if they are), it could be a challenge, depending on their competence. If they're AC (like the larger outstations, such as SFO/LGA/etc.), they can do anything. But they generally won't until it's a guaranteed misconnect.

----

Also, 1A is substantially better at automatically rebooking you when you have a delay resulting in a misconnect. If this happens, you may very well find you arrive at YUL with a new boarding pass in the app.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's not true at all. I've occasionally had MLL agents say they can't help, but it's the exception, not the rule.
Also, 1A is substantially better at automatically rebooking you when you have a delay resulting in a misconnect. If this happens, you may very well find you arrive at YUL with a new boarding pass in the app.
That's fine (although I'd prefer they rebook me on a specific routing, least I am spending the night at YUL). But checked bag will probably go awol.

Somewhat relevant, found this on the ac website: "Star Alliance Gold members travelling across two or more-member carriers are entitled to two carry-on baggage items. Please refer to illustrations indicated above for dimensions on Air Canada flights." . Seems promising, I could definitely split things into two carry on cases (sans some liquids, but will manage). Will anyone have heard of that rule?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Was able to change the itinerary to have much longer connections (for a minimum fee). Seems like that was the only viable option. Fingers crossed.
YULRvR likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.