Wiki Posts
Search

YHZ-LHR Premium Economy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
YHZ-LHR Premium Economy?

Hello - I'm looking at some redemption options and see YHZ-LHR on the 7M8 being offered in Premium Economy. Since this aircraft doesn't actually have a PY cabin, I presume Air Canada is just marketing the domestic Business Class seats as PY on this international segment? Thank you!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hello - I'm looking at some redemption options and see YHZ-LHR on the 7M8 being offered in Premium Economy. Since this aircraft doesn't actually have a PY cabin, I presume Air Canada is just marketing the domestic Business Class seats as PY on this international segment? Thank you!
Exactly.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Exactly.
Thank you!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Exactly.
I have a follow-up question. This leg was part of a YOW-YHZ-LHR redemption for my parents. Since the YOW-YHZ leg is operated by a CR9, which only has Economy and Business cabins, they're seated in Economy for that leg.

Is there any way for me to move them to Business for the YOW-YHZ leg? This doesn't seem related to award availability, right? The eUpgrade website doesn't seem to permit this either. FWIW, the flights in question are Dec 24 (outbound) and Jan 5 (return).
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:23 pm

Dec24 YHZ-LHR PY 87k lowest/ 99k flex AC868
Dec24 YOW-YHZ-LHR Y and PY 82.2k lowest/94.2k flex AC8064 AC868
so... booking the flights separate and asking to be checked through would be a lot more...
What i would do is book the YOW-YHZ-LHR in Y and PY and try to bid upgrade or just suffer in economy. When booking this fare you can at least choose preferred seats at no fee
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThePopes
Dec24 YHZ-LHR PY 87k lowest/ 99k flex AC868
Dec24 YOW-YHZ-LHR Y and PY 82.2k lowest/94.2k flex AC8064 AC868
so... booking the flights separate and asking to be checked through would be a lot more...
What i would do is book the YOW-YHZ-LHR in Y and PY and try to bid upgrade or just suffer in economy. When booking this fare you can at least choose preferred seats at no fee
Ah fair enough. Yeah, I've booked them in the Y/PY mixed in both directions. Not a big deal since the YOW-YHZ leg is short. Just hadn't encountered this situation before and was not sure what my options were. Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan
One of the bonuses on this flight is J passengers get Zone 2 on the boarding pass since it’s technically marketed and booked as PY. As an SE you get to pretty much walk on by yourself and get situated before anyone else. Of course, that’s assuming the GA doesn’t do the whole “zones 1 and 2” nonsense
capedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
One of the bonuses on this flight is J passengers get Zone 2 on the boarding pass since it’s technically marketed and booked as PY. As an SE you get to pretty much walk on by yourself and get situated before anyone else. Of course, that’s assuming the GA doesn’t do the whole “zones 1 and 2” nonsense
Ha. Thanks for the tip. But this redemption was for my (status-free) parents so I guess they'll have to patiently wait for Zone 2.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Supplementary question similar to above: I'm now looking at this option since UA just cancelled our daytime flight to LHR (booked through AC) next month. Like the previous posts our first leg (YYZ-YHZ) would be in Economy, although booking PE. What happens with PE privileges such as Priority Access and checked bag fees on the first leg?
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Supplementary question similar to above: I'm now looking at this option since UA just cancelled our daytime flight to LHR (booked through AC) next month. Like the previous posts our first leg (YYZ-YHZ) would be in Economy, although booking PE. What happens with PE privileges such as Priority Access and checked bag fees on the first leg?
OP here. This doesn't really answer your question but I assumed there would be none, so I also applied a Status Pass on my parents' booking. When is your flight?
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
OP here. This doesn't really answer your question but I assumed there would be none, so I also applied a Status Pass on my parents' booking. When is your flight?
Not booked yet. I was booked YYZ-IAD-LHR in J through Aeroplan. Second leg is now suspended, so I'm currently YYZ-BOS-LHR overnight but would prefer daytime flight (or rather my wife would). Only option remaining through Aeroplan is EWR-LHR but not on my dates without requiring more miles. I have no status with AC. The YHZ option is a good fit with our dates to keep peace in the family, although just as many miles as Business on UA.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Not booked yet. I was booked YYZ-IAD-LHR in J through Aeroplan. Second leg is now suspended, so I'm currently YYZ-BOS-LHR overnight but would prefer daytime flight (or rather my wife would). Only option remaining through Aeroplan is EWR-LHR but not on my dates without requiring more miles. I have no status with AC. The YHZ option is a good fit with our dates to keep peace in the family, although just as many miles as Business on UA.
Sent you a DM.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:14 pm

Very few flights cross the Atlantic Ocean Eastbound during the daytime hours. The AC YHZ-LHR is one of the only ones. The daytime flow is Westbound and the evening flow is Eastbound. If the daytime timings work best for you, I’d hop on the YHZ one.
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
Very few flights cross the Atlantic Ocean Eastbound during the daytime hours. The AC YHZ-LHR is one of the only ones. The daytime flow is Westbound and the evening flow is Eastbound. If the daytime timings work best for you, I’d hop on the YHZ one.
I hear you. This all started when AC dropped their YYZ daytime and gave the slot to the YHZ departure. One by one all the daytimes are disappearing.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 6:43 pm

I hear you. This all started when AC dropped their YYZ daytime and gave the slot to the YHZ departure. One by one all the daytimes are disappearing.
It costs the airlines tons of money to run flights against the “flows” of travel is why. When you’re going into a non radar environment over the ocean, air traffic controllers use math, speed, distance, and time to keep planes apart. It’s gotten a lot better lately with starting to use satellite based surveillance where they can cut down on the space between planes but before that they needed ten minutes between planes on the same track at the same altitude.

Going against the flow of 600-800 planes coming the other direction means you’re going to get crappy altitudes assigned by ATC (much lower than you want as there are planes coming the other way at the higher more efficient altitudes), and longer less efficient routings to keep you away from the flow of planes coming opposite of you. Both of which cost money due to excess fuel burn.

This isn’t even getting into gate costs at a busy airport like LHR which cost a premium when you want them at non standard times. In fact, I’ve flown this exact route multiple times in just the last month and because of the timing of it you can’t even get a gate when you land or depart at LHR typically they park in storage parking and bus you to the terminal and out to the plane on departure. And if you plan on going to the MLL on this flight, be prepared for a 15-20 min walk back to terminal A because all of AC and star alliance usually leave from terminal B but the 7M8 flight to YHZ leaves from terminal A and it’s a LONG walk back over there. Usually the senator lounge from DLH is a good bet but they have no AC right now and it’s sweltering in there with just a couple fans blowing. No ETA on it being fixed. It’s been like this for a month or so now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.