Toronto Connections

Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Toronto Connections

A friend of mine is considering touting from Kingston Jamaica to London via Toronto on Rouge and then full Air Canada.

The connection time is 1 hour 20 minutes although it looks like the inbound flight (at least based on last weeks stats is almost always late usually by around 40 mins).

There are two further flights to London after the recommended connection so would you recommend this flight as a safe option based on the likelihood that AC would place her on the following flights (date is a Monday in September post school holidays so am assuming it will not be super busy).

Really appreciate your guidance.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
There are many destinations AC is does a poor job reaccomodating disrupted passenger connections to. LHR is not one of them due to multiple flights/day.
Even less reason to worry is the ease of Intl-Intl connection at YYZ. I've made intl-intl connections like that in 10min-- an automated machine lets you through, no baggage reclaim etc.

​Kingston rouge flights are not widebody 450 seaters, so even if YYZ is metering arrivals, they should be the 1st-3rd first group of 50 passengers let off. (Or, since connecting, they should be let off even before the first group of 50).
johnashw, The Lev, YOWgary and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
The Key for YYZ is to have a connection. When they hold an incoming flight for customs, those with connections and a BP in hand are allowed off the aircraft right away.

YYZ is OK as long as you are airside. A couple of days ago on the 16th going through US CATSA was 3.5 Minutes, yes they are still using old protocols, take the laptop out and empty most stuff, but no line-up. US Customs is using a photo recognizing system now for Global entry and it was less than one minute.

Travel season is ending and things are getting faster now.
vernonc likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by johnashw
A friend of mine is considering touting from Kingston Jamaica to London via Toronto on Rouge and then full Air Canada.
The KIN-YYZ flight has an ontime rating of 0%, with an average delay of 83 minutes in the last 3 months.
The chances of making the 20:35 are slim to none (although that flight is also delayed 87% of the time with an average delay of 85 minutes)

And yes, AC would put them on the late night flight assuming there is space, and they can get a hold of customer service/rebooking in case its not auto-rebooked, which is very likely.

With AC, I'd be prepared to be stranded in YYZ overnight on this connection.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Why not just book the longer connection using one of the two later flights and avoid the worry?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
No way would I do that booking without expecting to misconnect. You run the risk of arranging hotel, meals yourself, change in cabin class on the re-accomodated flight, no flights available, etc. And remember, it isn't a 1hr 20 min connection; it is a 1hr 10min connection because of the gate closing early.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Book a longer connection or at minimum do not check bags so you can more easily move to another flight after misconnecting.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:28 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Even if AC puts you on a later flight, there's a good chance that your checked bag won't make it. I would recommend booking a longer connection with the assumption that AC flights will be delayed by an hour at least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.