Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Provides Update on its Operational Improvement Initiatives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

A couple of selected excerpts from this release today by AC:

For the period June 27 to August 14:
  • Flight Delays – Comparing the week of June 27 to the week of August 8, there was a 48% reduction or 1,160 fewer flights that took a delay longer than one hour. In addition, flight delays overall are getting shorter. For flights that experienced any delay, the average arrival delay during the week of June 27 was 28 minutes longer than the same week in 2019. As of the week of August 8, this had improved to 12 minutes.
  • Flight Cancellations - There has been a substantial reduction in the volume of flight cancellations. During the week of August 8, there was a 77% reduction in the number of cancelled flights as compared to the week of June 27. This translates into 960 fewer flights cancelled. Furthermore, flight completion, which is the percentage of all scheduled flights that are not canceled, reached 96.7% during the week of August 8, which was less than one percentage point lower than the same week in 2019. The vast majority of customers experiencing cancellations, often due to weather or other unexpected factors, were able to travel within 24 hours.
  • Baggage Handling - The strongest area of improvement over this period can be seen in baggage handling, where the airline handles over 650,000 bags per week. During the week of June 27, mishandling rates per 1,000 customers were approximately 2.5 times the same number in 2019. As of the week of August 8, this rate has fully recovered to 2019 levels with a baggage handling success rate of 98%.
...and this summer it plans to operate 79 per cent of its pre-pandemic capacity as the industry stabilizes. In support of this, the carrier has recalled employees laid off during the pandemic and continues to hire additional workers. It currently has approximately 34,000 employees compared to 34,700 prior to the pandemic.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Baggage handling success rate of 98% - put another way, 2% of checked bags (13,000 per week) go AWOL and AC considers that back to normal. Yikes.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC SE
This is all great, but passenger volumes have surely also diminished as we get past the summer peak. The situation was always going to improve after peak season. The question is whether they will be ready for the winter and spring peaks.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
So did we all get this emailed as a "Letter from Mike" ? lol random.
zrh2yvr, cyralax, lcfowler and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:09 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
They just sent out the key points of the release in a “Letter from Mike” (odd subject line), so you can look forward to getting it again in your email…
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:11 pm

Was their on time performance in 2019 actually acceptable? Or is it just saying AC's abysmal 2019 on time performance is now slightly worse in 2022?
Orcair likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
This letter, like everything AC does or doesn't, felt like getting spat in the face.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:17 pm

Is it just me, or does this seem like this letter is saying: as a "data driven organization, we cherry picked the worst week earlier this summer and compared it to the best week most recently to make it look like we are awesome now!"
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by mathemagic
Is it just me, or does this seem like this letter is saying: as a "data driven organization, we cherry picked the worst week earlier this summer and compared it to the best week most recently to make it look like we are awesome now!"
Partially true - June 27th, which included the July long weekend almost certainly was the worst week, but they picked the most recent week, which is still during the peak summer season, not just a random week. It is almost certainly reflective of some level of improvement and likely an improving trend they have been seeing.

From the airline's point of view they would be idiotic to cherry pick one good week and trumpet it to their best customers if it wasn't reflective of improvement and an expectation that things will continue to improve.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Today, I am writing to update you on the progress we have made to date to return our airline to its pre‑pandemic standards of customer service.
I’m really hoping that at some point they can set the bar a bit higher than that.
Bobert59, Orcair and InTheAirGuy like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by wjw
They just sent out the key points of the release in a “Letter from Mike” (odd subject line), so you can look forward to getting it again in your email…
I actually laughed out loud when I saw that subject line in my inbox. Mike! Your old pal, Mike.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by D404
I actually laughed out loud when I saw that subject line in my inbox. Mike! Your old pal, Mike.
I wonder if this is the first and last time he has referred to himself as Mike. this is what came to mind for me….

Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by The Lev
From the airline's point of view they would be idiotic to cherry pick one good week and trumpet it to their best customers if it wasn't reflective of improvement and an expectation that things will continue to improve.
Isn't that what they call specsmanship?
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by D404
Hey now, they paid thousands to consultants to come up with an idea how to make him more relatable to the public since most people probably picture him more of a Dr.Evil than a Mike.

As for OTP. Let's wait and see how the overall picture looks when official 3rd party stats come out.
But I guess June at 34% and July at 33% can only go up, so the emails from Mike may keep coming!
D404 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by trek604
So did we all get this emailed as a "Letter from Mike" ? lol random.

WAIT! WHAT? I thought the letter from Uncle Mike was just to me.

.........I was not unique, just a number than as everyone else also received the same letter........ no longer feeling special

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.