Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Air Canada Provides Update on its Operational Improvement Initiatives

Air Canada Provides Update on its Operational Improvement Initiatives

Old Aug 18, 22, 8:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian View Post
This is all great, but passenger volumes have surely also diminished as we get past the summer peak. The situation was always going to improve after peak season. The question is whether they will be ready for the winter and spring peaks.
Loads diminished?? Not even close. The flights are all hammered and full capacity.
Benner, Bohemian1 and YOWgary like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian View Post
The question is whether they will be ready for the winter and spring peaks.
In winter, at least it will be easy to adjust the random excuse generator to "weather"

Historically AC operated winter at ~50% on time, pushing 70% in their best months in summer. If the trend continues - expect winter flights to run 10% on time?
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
WAIT! WHAT? I thought the letter from Uncle Mike was just to me.

.........I was not unique, just a number than as everyone else also received the same letter........ no longer feeling special

I thought it was spam that made it past my filters.
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I thought it was spam that made it past my filters.
I thought so as well.

"Letter from Mike" is the kind of subject line I expect from an oddly-spelled email telling me I can make $10,000/day working from home if I'll just click a suspicious-looking link.
Old Aug 18, 22, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by trek604 View Post
So did we all get this emailed as a "Letter from Mike" ? lol random.
Even weirder was that the letter wasn't signed "Mike". Oddly casual subject from someone in marketing wanting him to be relatable perhaps?
Old Aug 18, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
LOL ... after reading this thread I had to retrieve it from the trash bin. I though it was spam and just deleted it on sight.
Old Aug 18, 22, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
I took a trip into the US this week on United with stopovers, even thought AC had direct flights. The AC flights had either been cancelled or delayed 2 hours+ for the past 10 days when i booked.
Old Aug 18, 22, 6:59 pm

Programs: TK *G
It currently has approximately 34,000 employees compared to 34,700 prior to the pandemic.

Yet AC often quote staff shortage as the uncontrollable reason for delay and cancellation
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I'm curious the percentage of employees out sick on any given day now compared to three years ago.

Not from COVID per se (autocorrect wanted to capitalize that), but just with the "I probably shouldn't go to work with the sniffles" mentality.
Old Aug 18, 22, 7:09 pm

Programs: TK *G
I know there are now probably more junior staff and more part time staff, so number of staff does not represent productivity well.

The issue is AC on one hand publishing such data to pretend things are back to normal, on the other hand keep using staff shortage as the excuse whenever it suits them. I hope there is an internal report better assesses the current situation and come up with more realistic improvement plans. If this report is what AC truly believes, I take that AC has no ability and no interests in improving their operations.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Not from COVID per se (autocorrect wanted to capitalize that), but just with the "I probably shouldn't go to work with the sniffles" mentality.
That, to say nothing of "I got screamed by angry passengers at for six hours straight last night"-itis.

I don't mean for a second that's inappropriate, I'm saying I'm sure it's a non-trivial factor in the current environment.
Old Aug 18, 22, 9:55 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - 75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'm curious the percentage of employees out sick on any given day now compared to three years ago.

I was always skeptical about the predictions of great change post-COVID. Always figured handshakes would come back, which they did, and air travel, obviously, and large indoor gatherings, which also have.

But I did hope one lasting impact would be that people would stay at home when they were sick without being stigmatized for it. While I have no fear of COVID, I dont enjoy being sick (who does?) and would absolutely prefer that my co-workers with sniffles dont come to work.
Old Aug 19, 22, 1:56 pm

I haven't travelled since April and haven't flown from the international wing of YUL since last year. I just flew YUL-DUB and I was gobsmacked. I've never, not once in the last 15 years of flying out of YUL internationally, seen the airport so packed. It was absolutely heaving. It was actually kind of difficult to make it through the terminal, there were multiple gates where the crowds of people lining up to board were blocking the passageway. The lineup for the National Bank lounge was also blocking the terminal.

There are a lot more restaurants open than I recall even pre-pandemic and every restaurant had a line to get in or order. A lot of the congestion was caused by those restaurants narrowing the terminal but then I wouldn't want fewer restaurants either. With the exception of the duty free shop it wasn't frivolous shops fleecing tourists blocking the way. It really was just that crowded.

Fwiw my flight left early and landed early. The staff boarded by zone strictly and made multiple announcements asking people for later zones to wait until they finished previous zones. They were on top of everything both at the gate and on the plane. I don't think I've ever seen an AC crew so on the ball about everything before.

Not every flight on the board was on time but I didn't see any egregious delays and the gates all seemed to be staffed and people seemed to be ready to board.
vancouver25k likes this.

Search this Thread