Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

AC Lounge Access - physical locations and rules (2022 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 21, 22, 6:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: canadiancow
Wiki Link
This wiki will attempt to cover the ability to access various lounges operated by AC. Since many travellers are not familiar with the layout of Canadian airports, we will detail both physical access as well as rules.

Overview of lounges

AC has three types of lounges:
  • Maple Leaf Lounges (MLLs): essentially, regular lounges
  • Caf: caf-style lounge with limited access and grab-and-go
  • Signature Suites: essentially, only for long-haul international business class passengers

Locations & Physical Access

Lounges are in the following locations:

Note that most of the Canadian airports used by AC have separate areas for domestic, transborder ("TB", i.e. to the US), and international flights. MLLs are often referred to based on which area of the terminal theyre in, e.g. YYZ Dom is the domestic lounge in YYZ, YUL Intl is the international lounge at YUL. Except when connecting from a domestic flight to a TB/international one, you can only use a lounge in the area from which your flight departs. For instance, a passenger flying from YYZ to LGA cannot use the YYZ Dom MLL as CATSA will not allow them to access the domestic wing; a passenger flying YXE-YYZ-LGA could use the YYZ Dom MLL as they will already be in the domestic area on arrival.

YYZ, YVR, and YUL have segregated international departures areas. The international MLLs cannot be accessed before domestic flights. In other locations, a "domestic" MLL can also be accessed before international flights.

Please note that while the US is a separate country, it is NOT an "international" destination in the way most Canadian airports and AC are set up. You can NEVER access the international lounges when departing on a flight to the US.

Lounges in transborder areas are after US customs pre-clearance, and can only be accessed by customers travelling to the US.

Access Rules

MLLs - https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

Can be accessed for customers holding a SAME DAY DEPARTING boarding pass (for a flight operated by AC or another *A member) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 35K (domestic and transborder only; no guests; until June 1 2023 - no access on or after)
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (spouse, dependent children, and one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
    • VA Velocity Platinum or Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class (on AC or another *A carrier)
    • Premium rouge
  • Passes (passes may only be valid for certain locations, e.g. domestic/TB)
    • Given out to those with AC status
    • Given out to certain credit card holders
    • Purchased directly from AC as an add-on to the flight, either in advance or at the lounge
  • Credit cards (no passes required):
    • TD VIP
    • CIBC VIP
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards

Domestic Lounges can also be accessed by those ARRIVING on an Air Canada Mainline, Rouge or Express flight, for those holding 50K status and higher.

Signature Suites

Signature Suites require both (a) an eligible fare and (b) an eligible destination. Your flight must be a flight operated by Air Canada that is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver. It doesnt matter whether you bought the ticket through AC or if youre on an AC codeshare, or if your itinerary has other international connections. Unless your flight is operated by Air Canada, and is advertised as Signature Class, and is departing internationally from Toronto or Vancouver, youre not eligible.

Eligible fares:
  • Paid business class (originally booked in J, C, D, Z, or P classes)
  • Business Class (Flexible) Aeroplan tickets

Eligible destinations
  • South America (Colombia and south)
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Australia

NOT accessible to:
  • Passengers in business class on any type of upgrades (eUpgrades, Last-Minute Upgrades, bid upgrades, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards)
  • Anyone booked in Business Class (Lowest) reward tickets - this includes any rewards ticketed by an Aeroplan partner, e.g. United MileagePlus, Miles & More, etc)
  • Passengers flying internationally with Air Canada, but who are not departing on an International Air Canada flight from Toronto or Vancouver. Example, if you are arriving on an International flight, but connecting to a US or domestic flight - you will NOT have access to the suite.

Cafe

Can be accessed by those with a departing domestic boarding pass (no arrivals benefit for the Cafe) based on:
  • Status
    • Aeroplan 50K and up (one guest)
    • Star Alliance Gold (one guest)
  • Class of service:
    • Business class
    • Premium rouge
  • Credit cards:
    • TD VIP
    • CIBC VIP
    • Amex Aeroplan Reserve cards
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 17, 22, 4:11 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
Sorry for the dumb question: if you have a Flexible Reward but are NOT flying Air Canada for the long-haul, do you have access?
"Air Canada Signature Class customers travelling on an Air Canada-operated flight..."

Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
Why do they mention a First Class Flexible Reward, if Air Canada does not have First Class?
Because you can book things like YYZ-FRA-JNB, with the first leg in AC J and the second leg in LH F.
Old Jun 19, 22, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, WS Gold
I flew overnight from YYZ - FRA and had some time on my hands before catching a train so I thought I'd go to the MLL there. The lounge person told me that I could not access the lounge as it was not an arrivals lounge and I didn't have an onward connection. I've never been denied access to other MLL's when using after my flight. Is this a special rule for FRA, is it because the flight is overnight so it is no longer "same day" or was the lounge person making up rules on the fly?
Old Jun 19, 22, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
I flew overnight from YYZ - FRA and had some time on my hands before catching a train so I thought I'd go to the MLL there. The lounge person told me that I could not access the lounge as it was not an arrivals lounge and I didn't have an onward connection. I've never been denied access to other MLL's when using after my flight. Is this a special rule for FRA, is it because the flight is overnight so it is no longer "same day" or was the lounge person making up rules on the fly?
Emphasis mine.
In addition, you may access the domestic Maple Leaf Lounges at airports in Canada and the U.S. upon arriving on an Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express flight.
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:04 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Lounge Access flying out of YYZ

Hi,

I am flying out of YYZ with my wife and three children. I have United Club Membership, Priority Pass membership, and Amex Platinum Business Card, and my wife has a Priority Pass membership as well. We also have an Amex Personal Platinum and Amex Business Gold card, but dont have them with us.
Using a combination of these cards, would I be able to get my entire family into the lounge?

Thank you
Old Jun 26, 22, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No UC membership family access at *A partner lounges, you will have just one guest allowed
You will only be able to use one access method, not using multiple methods. So not additional quests.

If the AC ML allows Priority Pass, that also is limited to one quest

You have to ask if the ML offers a paid access pass for the third child.

But as this a ML access question, will move to AC Forum
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 27, 22, 8:18 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE SE100K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ghurty View Post
Hi,

I am flying out of YYZ with my wife and three children. I have United Club Membership, Priority Pass membership, and Amex Platinum Business Card, and my wife has a Priority Pass membership as well. We also have an Amex Personal Platinum and Amex Business Gold card, but dont have them with us.
Using a combination of these cards, would I be able to get my entire family into the lounge?

Thank you
I think you can get access to the Plaza Premium Lounges at YYZ for 2 of you and 2 guests with your 2 AMEX Platinum cards, but I think you will need to have them with you. Also, if one of your children is under 2, they are free.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
On a domestic-international connection, will the Caf let me in before I head to the E gates? Figure with the lines for the international MLL as of late I could at least grab a latte to go to nurse during the wait!

Last edited by talkeryxu; Jul 2, 22 at 1:13 pm Reason: Correct typo.
Old Jul 2, 22, 11:01 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
Originally Posted by talkeryxu View Post
On a domestic-international connection, will the Caf let me in before I had to the E gates? Figure with the lines for the international MLL as of late I could at least grab a latte to go to nurse during the wait!
Yes, they will.
Old Jul 2, 22, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Yes, they will.
Thank you!
Old Jul 12, 22, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC 25K/Black Card
Update for those interested: Called aeroplan, they said they'll link it and to wait 10 business days. After exactly 10 business days the card now shows up as linked and the benefits unlocked.
Old Jul 13, 22, 11:35 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
MLL Guest Clarification

Hi Everyone-

i am hoping I can get clarity on guest access to MLL. I am 50K and have a premium card (TD Privilege). I will be travelling with my Son (10) and Father to LAX in September. Am I able to guest both of them into the lounge without using a guest pass?

Additionally, I will be travelling with my whole family (wife, three kids (3/8/10)) and my wifes parents in October. How do I get them all into the lounge?

Thanks
Dana
Old Jul 13, 22, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by danapop View Post
Hi Everyone-

i am hoping I can get clarity on guest access to MLL. I am 50K and have a premium card (TD Privilege). I will be travelling with my Son (10) and Father to LAX in September. Am I able to guest both of them into the lounge without using a guest pass?

Additionally, I will be travelling with my whole family (wife, three kids (3/8/10)) and my wifes parents in October. How do I get them all into the lounge?

Thanks
Dana
I believe as 50k, you can guest your family and one guest to MLL. One guest and no family to Cafe.
Old Jul 13, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Hi Everyone-

Spouse and dependent children +1 guest. As long as they are the same flight, no problem.

Wife and kids are fine, as would be one parent. The guest privilege (from your card, say) don't stack. So use a pass.
Old Jul 26, 22, 5:51 am

Connecting from AMS to YYZ to DFW

Hello all, has anyone had experience accessing Signature Suite lounge in YYZ on paid P fare when while connecting from AMS to YYZ to DFW?

I have 5 hour layover and am hoping we have a comfortable situation for shower and recharge after the AMS to YYZ flight.
Old Jul 26, 22, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jjgollum View Post
Hello all, has anyone had experience accessing Signature Suite lounge in YYZ on paid P fare when while connecting from AMS to YYZ to DFW?

I have 5 hour layover and am hoping we have a comfortable situation for shower and recharge after the AMS to YYZ flight.
It's not possible to access the Signature Suite on this itinerary - you will not have access to this area of the terminal. You will be able to use the Transborder Maple Leaf Lounge at YYZ,

Doesn't sound like the showers are open in that lounge yet, head over to this thread for updates on the MLL network... MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST] - FlyerTalk Forums

Search this Thread