Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Help for limited mobility passenger

Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:41 am
Original Poster

My 88 year old mother would like to travel home (Montreal) from Grenada on her own in November.
She does not walk well. Cannot walk long enough or fast enough for YYZ connecting flights. We have previously requested assistance from Air Canada for a similar trip but did not get any help. We were with her, so found and pushed a wheelchair .
Maybe our presence removed the requested assistance, but this trip she would be on her own.

Can I rely on Air Canada, with an online request for assistance, to get Mom through customs and to her connecting flight? Can a Toronto family member get a pass to meet her at the arrival gate and move her to her flight? Or is there a paid assistance set up that would do this?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by annehamnitz
My 88 year old mother would like to travel home (Montreal) from Grenada on her own in November.
She does not walk well. Cannot walk long enough or fast enough for YYZ connecting flights. We have previously requested assistance from Air Canada for a similar trip but did not get any help. We were with her, so found and pushed a wheelchair .
Maybe our presence removed the requested assistance, but this trip she would be on her own.

Can I rely on Air Canada, with an online request for assistance, to get Mom through customs and to her connecting flight? Can a Toronto family member get a pass to meet her at the arrival gate and move her to her flight? Or is there a paid assistance set up that would do this?
Request wheelchair assistance at both ends. If you have a connection to leave extra time to make sure they make it. My mom missed her FC seat on UA many years ago because the wheelchair pushers were very late in arriving.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

On flights from the Caribbean, it's hard to add extra time unless it is an overnight stop
Then the morning flight is very early
Guess I could call in (or track down a travel agent) and request a mid-day connection (don't think we could get her back to the airport earlier)
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It will take a very long time for AC to provide assistance. It should be criminal to be so negligent in this area. I dont let my mom travel alone anymore.I fly to YYZ so I can help her by pushing the wheelchair. Things are extra dire after 9pm..
YULRvR likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
It will take a very long time for AC to provide assistance. It should be criminal to be so negligent in this area. I dont let my mom travel alone anymore.I fly to YYZ so I can help her by pushing the wheelchair. Things are extra dire after 9pm..
That is my concern.
A brother is willing to fly to Toronto to meet her - but think that he will only be allowed to find her after customs. Is it possible to have a family member (eg with nexus) or a paid person meet her at the arrival gate and bring her through customs?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:13 pm

I don’t know anything about this service other than that it linked off the Pearson website. Might be worth checking out.

https://www.allwaysvip.com/#about
Old Aug 17, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Recently had great experiences at YYZ wheelchair assistance

I had a hip replacement 5 weeks ago and have used YYZ wheelchair assistance 5 or 6 times coming and going and once last summer (2021) . They have all been great and really hustled to get me where I needed to be including through customs and security.

I was able to walk off the plane by myself and the wheelchair people were waiting. Others were met at the top of the jetway. Also they call ahead to the connecting gate to tell them youre on the way which helped us out with a tight connection.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:48 pm

Fwiw while you request the service from the airline I think it's the airport that's responsible for actually providing it. YYZ has not generally been covering itself with glory recently and has had difficulty maintaining staff levels for other areas -- I have no idea of this applies to the assistance.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Airport wheelchair assistance

In my case all assistance was supplied by personnel in Air Canada uniforms. They were all most helpful.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
AC wheelchair assistance at YYZ is absolutely horrible. Passengers are dumped into a corral to wait for the 1-2 wheelchairs to take them one at a time, I suggest getting to the airport 3-4 hours before departure and expect to wait a long time for help.

Coming back, she should use the restroom on board before arrival because the same process of dumping wheelchair passengers at random places to wait for an unknown amount of time for their next pickup can create a lot of anxiety if someone needs the restroom.
Altaflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.