Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The only time I was targeted, the GA had no idea who I was. When she mentioned not charging me to check it, and saw my BP, I no longer had to check it. That's the kind of enforcement I want.

It fit in the bin just fine.
lcohen999, yowcat, YYC3722 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75K, Marriott gold, HHonors silver
As mentioned in a few posts, I wonder if the recent issues with lost and delayed checked luggage is causing more passengers than usual to push the limits with carry-on, which is what could be one of the reasons for this increased checking of size.

In my own example, I am currently travelling with my family (2 adults and 2 kids). Usually in the past we would have on board one carry on suitcase and one backpack amongst the 4 of us, and check the rest of our luggage in. This time, we still have a checked suitcase, but to minimize impact of a potential loss or delay, we have 2 carry-ons and 2 back packs with some key items just in case. We have not exceeded carry on limits or sizes, but we definitely have more items with us on the plane than we normally do, just to ensure we are protected.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:05 am

Yeah did the same thing, me, wife, baby, and had 6 items cause of this when usually would had 3-4
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I told some friends on a SFO-YYZ round trip that under no circumstances were they to check any bags. I suspect there would have otherwise been one or two.

But everyone was well within their limits.

I, on the other hand, checked a bag yesterday, due to a large quantity of rum. It was somewhat liberating just traveling with a messenger bag. But I did not like having to wait in SFO. If the MLL were open, I might have a different attitude. But I still can't see myself checking a bag on any trip unless it's absolutely necessary, and I will walk right up to the carry-on limits on any trip longer than a few days.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Maybe if everyone followed the rules we wouldn't have this issue? Frequent flyers if anything should know the rules better than everyone else and buy appropriate bags.

No compassion from me if an SE is targeted because they flout the rules. Fit the sizer or check it even if you're the Queen of England.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Flew recent 737 max. Oversold. I was impressed with boarding, they strictly inforced bags under seat and putting the carry ons properly up in the bins. Only the last three pax had to put their carry ons up in the J space. Was pretty impressed how many bags the max could fit and how an oversold flight had no boarding delays with pax listening to the crew. No enforcement of sizes but there was no bag that didn’t fit
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Sometimes I travel with a backpack, a duffel, and work boots. Usually I just buy a new pair of boots when I arrive at my destination, and leave them in the rental car before my return flight. But occasionally I decide to bring them and and put them separately in the overhead. I wonder if I'll get in trouble and have to start giving them to the gate agent as a gift.

Oh ya, today when boarding 685 on a max, I boarded second last. The FA told me I could leave my bags up front, I responded that I was in 3C. Thankfully there was just enough space.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Sometimes I travel with a backpack, a duffel, and work boots. Usually I just buy a new pair of boots when I arrive at my destination, and leave them in the rental car before my return flight. But occasionally I decide to bring them and and put them separately in the overhead. I wonder if I'll get in trouble and have to start giving them to the gate agent as a gift.

Oh ya, today when boarding 685 on a max, I boarded second last. The FA told me I could leave my bags up front, I responded that I was in 3C. Thankfully there was just enough space.
I’ve always wondered about this… my running shoes take up an enormous amount of space in a roll-aboard, and even if I stuff them with socks and underwear and whatnot, it’s still a challenge to fit everything for longer trips. I wonder if I should just start tying them to the outside of my backpack.
canadiancow and inkygirl like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Maybe if everyone followed the rules we wouldn't have this issue? Frequent flyers if anything should know the rules better than everyone else and buy appropriate bags.

No compassion from me if an SE is targeted because they flout the rules. Fit the sizer or check it even if you're the Queen of England.
Most FF and SEs are not the issue. We travel enough to know how to pack and not carry everything incl the kitchen sink. And we have free luggage allowance if we really need to pack a lot. Most of the issues are around FOTSG who are trying to avoid baggage fees and the recent baggage chaos. For example I did see a lady on one of my recent flights with a roller bag, a backpack, a duffle bag, a handbag and 2 shopping bags trundling down the aisle beaning everyone in aisle seats along the way.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The GF has, more than once, literally used out kitchen vacuum sealer to shrink things down for the outbound - sleep t-shirts and stuff that can be abandoned.

I've seen industrial pallet wrapped (themselves in friendly consumer clothing) in the landside of a few airports, available for what I'm sure is a nominal fee...

I wonder if either a paid, or AC supplied and not optional industrial vacuum sealer in airports would be of help here.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I don't see how hard it is for gate agents to stop someone who clearly has way too many bags. It's supposed to be one bag and one personal item. Woman boarding this morning had a larger rollaboard, a very full reusable grocery type of shopping bag, a duty free bag and a purse the size of a toilet tank. I mean ... seriously?
CorSter and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vernonc
Most FF and SEs are not the issue. We travel enough to know how to pack and not carry everything incl the kitchen sink. And we have free luggage allowance if we really need to pack a lot. Most of the issues are around FOTSG who are trying to avoid baggage fees and the recent baggage chaos. For example I did see a lady on one of my recent flights with a roller bag, a backpack, a duffle bag, a handbag and 2 shopping bags trundling down the aisle beaning everyone in aisle seats along the way.
AC110?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
AC110?
LOL yeah. Not 100% sure as I have been travelling every week.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:48 am

YUL - KEF on a 737 max Aug 27th

Gate staff were insisted on every bag needed to go into the sizer, and those that did not fit could be checked for free. So large number of people gave it a go, obviously many bags just did not easily fit. I would say 20 pax checked their bags.

We just sat and waited, along with many others. Ours we know will fit, but it might take some jiggling because of backpack straps etc. We also know the max has great overhead bins, but rarely do people put their bags in right.

At boarding there was no further enforcement, ours fit in no trouble. But we watched people just putting carry ons sideways, so lots of room was wasted. But I am sure it would take way too much time for crew to be going through and telling everyone to put their bags in the right way.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Flew recent 737 max. Oversold. I was impressed with boarding, they strictly inforced bags under seat and putting the carry ons properly up in the bins. Only the last three pax had to put their carry ons up in the J space. Was pretty impressed how many bags the max could fit and how an oversold flight had no boarding delays with pax listening to the crew. No enforcement of sizes but there was no bag that didn’t fit
I really wish they did a better job differentiating personal items which can go under seat, and carry-on which cannot. On a full flight, people who board first end up putting multiple things in the overhead, including backpacks and purses which could easily just go under the seat, and then those who board last end up having to gate check.

However the one flight I was on that went the extra mile to announce that backpacks should go under the seat so that everyone can get their carryon on.... a woman paraded through J and removed some of my husband and the dude across the aisle's stuff, told us we were breaking the rules, stowed her own bag, and then continued to Y.
Johnny199r likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.