Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

AC carry-on baggage enforcement (2022 onwards)

Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jazzsax
AC does list upgrade priority. It's called the upgrade list. If you request an updrade and it hasn't cleared, it's on the list and you know where you stand. Potential upgrades are listed as a perk.
AC says upgrades are possible, as in they advertise it as binary: will or won't happen.... And then has a bunch of well understood rules we spend a lot of time here debating and explaining.

But even more obvious than the totally hidden meal priority and upgrade priority are that people who can board early obviously have early access to finite carryon space. Sure, AC should set the carryon limit to what planes can hold, but they don't, and neither does any other (mainstream) airline.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:18 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
AC does list upgrade priority. It's called the upgrade list. If you request an updrade and it hasn't cleared, it's on the list and you know where you stand. Potential upgrades are listed as a perk.

Perhaps feeling entitled as a more frequent flyer to have "more rights" to space in the overhead bins is childish behaviour. You have space requirements like everyone else. If you don't follow them, I could care less if it's childish behaviour me saying something about it, it's more childish behaviour being the person with status and not following the rules.

If you want the peons in Y on basic fares to follow the rules, you should as well.
I think you are missing the distinction between a published benefit and an informal courtesy to a valued customer. I mean, Air Canada are the ones mailing out luggage tags for elite customers. Since those tags offer absolutely no utility beyond identifying your bags as belonging to an elite member I can only surmise that this scenario is at least part of their purpose.

When it comes to the discretion of a Flight Attendant, I can only assume that all else being equal they would give a little more leeway (within reason) to baggage that is clearly labelled as belonging to a loyal and frequent customer.

I’ve always just assumed that was at least part of the reason for the existence of elite luggage tags.
Adam Smith and RangerNS like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by wjw
I think you are missing the distinction between a published benefit and an informal courtesy to a valued customer. I mean, Air Canada are the ones mailing out luggage tags for elite customers. Since those tags offer absolutely no utility beyond identifying your bags as belonging to an elite member I can only surmise that this scenario is at least part of their purpose.

When it comes to the discretion of a Flight Attendant, I can only assume that all else being equal they would give a little more leeway (within reason) to baggage that is clearly labelled as belonging to a loyal and frequent customer.

I’ve always just assumed that was at least part of the reason for the existence of elite luggage tags.
I thought the tags were just for us to show off how important we thought we were
Bohemian1 and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by wjw

It may or may not be the purpose, but a published benefit is not "priority overhead bin space".

You have the same size requirements as everyone else. If you want to be given leeway, perhaps I should have the same leeway on a full fare last minute economy flight, even though you paid for a cheaper flight and used e-upgrade credits?

What's the difference in value to AC for someone who flies twice a year in J but pays 10K each time (say to SYD or somewhere crazy) vs an SE who churns on segments? Significant. Far less work or handholding for the flyer who comes twice a year, but far more profit.

If it's not a published perk, you deserve no better treatment than anyone else. If it's published, you are 100% entitled to it.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:43 pm

If it's not a published perk, you deserve no better treatment than anyone else. If it's published, you are 100% entitled to it.
Bags of low zone people board the same time the PAX and, presumably, get a slot on even RJs;

If FAs mess about with bags already in place that compromises any inherent value of boarding early.
talkeryxu likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
You're both wrong and seem to have misinterpreted my comment.

The upgrade list is not "upgrade priority". Upgrade priority is knowing who gets prioritized for upgrades - cabin, status, fare, etc. There's definitely a hierarchy. The upgrade list is of little to no use to me in determining what I should book in advance.

The upgrade list also seems to be frequently wrong.

My having priority over a 25K at the gate isn't published anywhere, but I know it exists and I rely on it.

Perhaps feeling entitled as a more frequent flyer to have "more rights" to space in the overhead bins is childish behaviour. You have space requirements like everyone else. If you don't follow them, I could care less if it's childish behaviour me saying something about it, it's more childish behaviour being the person with status and not following the rules.

If you want the peons in Y on basic fares to follow the rules, you should as well.
I never said I want "more rights". My bag fits in the bin in the correct orientation, but it may not always fit easily in the sizer. I don't want to bring a massively oversized roll-aboard, I want GAs and FAs to not waste their time and mine hassling me about my bag.

And if I take advantage of my ability to board late, I don't want that to cost me overhead space for the bag.

I don't think either of those is at all unreasonable.

So I'm not entitled to higher priority for eUpgrades, higher priority for meal upgrades, higher priority at the call centre? You need to get away from this overly legalistic interpretation of what the program benefits are or should be.
mathemagic and wjw like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Aliquot
The problem is a hard case that is even a cm to big will end up taking up the room of a couple of regulation bags becasue it can't be put under a seat and needs to be put in the bin sideways. Backpacks and duffle bags can contored to fit in tighter spots.

Your bag is more important because you fly more often?
According to AC he is more important in every single aspect of travel. When he has a challenge booking, they answer his call sooner. When he gets to the airport he gets a special line where he gets to check more bags than the average bear. Then he goes through a faster line to beeline it to the lounge where he will wait until he is invited to board the plane first, unless of course he wants to keep drinking and then cut in front of you in the boarding process. When he gets on he can put his bags pretty well anywhere while he is greeted by the crew and others are reminded to put their bags under the seat or just ignored.

So in a word…yes.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Bags of low zone people board the same time the PAX and, presumably, get a slot on even RJs;
Unless....

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
And if I take advantage of my ability to board late, I don't want that to cost me overhead space for the bag.
The advertised perk doesn't say anything like "you can board whenever you want, unless you care about bin space".

It says something like "you can board whenever you want".
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
If it's not listed as a perk, then no.

Just because you are SE, if the perk doesn't list "Priority carry on baggage treatment" you're simply acting as a DYKWIA

I've travelled as a status passenger and had another DYKWIA SE pull my bag out of the J bin, toss it on the floor and say his was more important. He nearly was booted off the plane.

If it's not a listed perk, no your bag is not more important than any other passengers unless it's a class of service or perk of your status.
No, SEs shouldn't expect to board last on a full A320 in Y, bring a 22" carry on and duffle bag, and have two bags gate checked to make space for theirs, but it's perfectly reasonable that FAs make reasonable arrangements to accommodate their most frequent flyers within the rules.

no your bag is not more important than any other passengers
So yes, it is more important in the context of making additional accommodations, which I believe is exactly what Adam Smith meant. Like putting his regulation-sized bag in the coat closet when he's coming in late from a connecting flight, or even just coming from the lounge. Non-status pax shouldn't expect that treatment, while SEs can expect (but not count on) it.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The advertised perk doesn't say anything like "you can board whenever you want, unless you care about bin space".
It also doesn't say "the lounge runs out of good food 5 minutes after they serve it"; we are back to the purpose of this site: "how not to let perks slip through your fingers".
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by yyztozag
No, SEs shouldn't expect to board last on a full A320 in Y, bring a 22" carry on and duffle bag, and have two bags gate checked to make space for theirs, but it's perfectly reasonable that FAs make reasonable arrangements to accommodate their most frequent flyers within the rules.

So yes, it is more important in the context of making additional accommodations, which I believe is exactly what Adam Smith meant. Like putting his regulation-sized bag in the coat closet when he's coming in late from a connecting flight, or even just coming from the lounge. Non-status pax shouldn't expect that treatment, while SEs can expect (but not count on) it.
Again, go read earlier comments where there was discussion about bags being larger than the sizer and bins and causing issues.

if your bag isn't regulation, I don't care if you're an SE. You're simply an SE bending the rules and expecting grace because you're an SE.

Well give me grace then because I booked full fare economy and didn't use my e-upgrades or game the system....

Originally Posted by RangerNS
It also doesn't say "the lounge runs out of good food 5 minutes after they serve it"; we are back to the purpose of this site: "how not to let perks slip through your fingers".
Non regulation sized bags are not a perk of the program unless something has changed recently....

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 19, 2022 at 6:12 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
On my most recent flights operated by an A220, the gate agents made multiple announcement about how the plane wouldn't be able to accommodate all the roll-boards (in addition to the more common pre-recorded message to that effect) and in some cases pleaded with passengers to volunteer to check their bags to avoid (further) delays. One GA actually dragged out the sizer, put it smack in the middle of the Z3-Z5 line, and started asking pax to stuff their bags in it.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ffsim
One GA actually dragged out the sizer, put it smack in the middle of the Z3-Z5 line, and started asking pax to stuff their bags in it.
This neatly illustrates the point that a few people have been trying to make. They didn't put the sizer in the middle of the Z2 or Z1 lines. My bag is just about exactly regulation size, but if I overpack it isn't, and in that case it will weigh more than regulation. I have never been asked by Air Canada to put it in a sizer or check it in dozens of flights, and I attribute that to status.

I wasn't aware that accommodating my late boarding was one of those unwritten rules. This will aid me immeasurably in making YBYL decisions in the future.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
This neatly illustrates the point that a few people have been trying to make. They didn't put the sizer in the middle of the Z2 or Z1 lines. My bag is just about exactly regulation size, but if I overpack it isn't, and in that case it will weigh more than regulation. I have never been asked by Air Canada to put it in a sizer or check it in dozens of flights, and I attribute that to status.

I wasn't aware that accommodating my late boarding was one of those unwritten rules. This will aid me immeasurably in making YBYL decisions in the future.
I didn't this weight really matters with a carry-on...

AC states..
  • Although no weight limit applies to carry-on baggage, your bag must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted.

Ron.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by newfbc
I didn't this weight really matters with a carry-on...

AC states..
  • Although no weight limit applies to carry-on baggage, your bag must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted.

Ron.
Oh. Interesting. I guess I've been burned by LH a few too many times and assumed they all worked like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.