Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking a revenue F ticket on AC to earn SQx?

Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I am considering (if the price is right) going on paid F class from Canada to South Africa next year- perhaps on LH or LX.
Issue is me getting SQDs - so it must be an AC booked ticket - 014 ticket.

But expert flyer does not offer F class fares for AC tickets; my travel agent concurs.
So how would I book a F class ticket on a Star Alliance carrier and get my SQDs.

(of course, through Aeroplan points- one can book a F class ticket).
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Totally not possible. There are no published fares on AC. the only way you could do it is with outbound AC and return LX/LH. Since AC is first carrier, the entire ticket would be 014 - but you could not get F both ways - - but you should be able to do it one way . . . as fares are combinable . .
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
I am skeptical of the blanket answer.

A fare does not have to be from the same carrier that issues the ticket. Many fares even explicitly allow others. For example UA TPAC fare rules often have the text: "TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON UA OR NH"

The other requirement (AC's requirement) is that at least one segment must be an AC segment.

Now, on an e.g. LH fare TATL, LH will most likely be the marketing carrier TATL and will therefore ~always be the default validating carrier. It will require manually specifying 014, if it is allowed.

Slightly off topic, but I set up and fly some weird 014 tickets that combine AC with non-AC non-partner (e.g. AS) fares just because of how SQD is calculated.

Edit: I checked some LH F fares to South Africa and found some that explicitly allow issuing on AC...

Last edited by Quail; Aug 14, 2022 at 11:36 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:28 pm

As noted by Quail there are LH F fares that explicitly allow ticketing by AC.

Just find your flights via ITA or other means and get a decent travel agent (not OTA!) to book it for you.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC SE
My goal- get SQD with AC by somehow going on the UA flight from EWR to JNB; and that allows the most direct route from YOW to JNB on a Star Alliance carrier- rather than spending extra time and miles going via LH or LX via Frankfurt/Munich/Zurich.
Let us know if you figure it out. As far as I know, it’s not possible.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Totally not possible. There are no published fares on AC. the only way you could do it is with outbound AC and return LX/LH. Since AC is first carrier, the entire ticket would be 014 - but you could not get F both ways - - but you should be able to do it one way . . . as fares are combinable . .
I recently booked a 014 ticket with AC operated flights, SFO-YVR-LHR, then called my travel agent and changed to UA non-stop SFO-LHR. Still kept the 014 ticket (and kept an AC segment on the return). So this is just one way you can get a 014 ticket with another carrier on the first segment.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:31 pm

UA files fares YOW-JNB, including ones that allow AC plating. Yes, for 014 an AC segment must be included, but Jazz flights are scheduled for YOW-EWR next year. So doesn't seem like this is a problem at all, even with the most direct routing.
If the Jazz flights weren't available then a domestic connection would likely have done the trick with the same fare, i.e. basically the same price.

AC does codeshare YOW-EWR, for example AC4386 and AC4398. But UA's cheaper business class fares YOW-JNB do not allow AC marketed/UA operated, only AC marketed/operated or UA marketed/AC operated. So the codeshares don't help in practice.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Quail
UA files fares YOW-JNB, including ones that allow AC plating. Yes, for 014 an AC segment must be included, but Jazz flights are scheduled for YOW-EWR next year. So doesn't seem like this is a problem at all, even with the most direct routing.
If the Jazz flights weren't available then a domestic connection would likely have done the trick with the same fare, i.e. basically the same price.

AC does codeshare YOW-EWR, for example AC4386 and AC4398. But UA's cheaper business class fares YOW-JNB do not allow AC marketed/UA operated, only AC marketed/operated or UA marketed/AC operated. So the codeshares don't help in practice.
I've never seen 014 fares bookable through Ac.com. Would a travel agent be able to do it, perhaps?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I've never seen 014 fares bookable through Ac.com. Would a travel agent be able to do it, perhaps?
Aren't all fares booked through ac.com 014 fares?

But to your point I would agree that this most likely requires a knowledgeable TA.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Aug 15, 2022 at 5:44 am
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yes, selecting the ticket stock is a.basic ticketing instruction.
Feel free to PM if you want me to do it (or if you'd like me to explain the steps to do it so you can take it somewhere else) for your specific itinerary.

The default will be the TATL carrier (UA) so yes you'd need a TA for 014 because booking online nearly always gets you the default.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
If you're based in YOW, could you do YOW-YYZ on AC, then the rest on LH? That might allow ticketing on 014 given the first leg would be AC J.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
If you're based in YOW, could you do YOW-YYZ on AC, then the rest on LH? That might allow ticketing on 014 given the first leg would be AC J.
No, that won't change the default validating carrier. See ATPCO logic for determining the validating carrier (page 10). The TATL flight will always be more significant in this scenario.
TAs may select AC/override this logic easily though, per IATA Resolution 852.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.