Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Travel Summit - Prince of Travel - Mark Nasr - Scott O’Leary - October 2022

The Travel Summit - Prince of Travel - Mark Nasr - Scott O’Leary - October 2022

Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'll add that to my list.

Just be mindful that the UA earnings are per USD, so I wouldn't expect the multiplier to be as high on AC, since it's per CAD.
Yes that's a valid point for redemptions and the lower tiers, but somewhat accounted for in Premier 1K status (13,500-15,000 PQP instead of 20,000 SQD for SE).
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:15 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yvr76
LQM based on SQM is a great idea.
There's a lot of ways to get SQM that have nothing to do with AC. Which I think is kinda the point of the current way LQM gets calculated.

In the future, if there was some additional LQM love shown for SQDs greater than some high threshold, that could be interesting. But not a question that I am burning to ask.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I think I might come to this, despite the questionable panelist.

I need that $1100 SQD after all.

Timing sucks since I’m coming back through YYZ on the 20th when returning from DOH. Oh well. Flying is fun.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:00 am

Can AC provide more timely and accurate information about delays? My current flight started boarding about 20 minutes after the last communicated departure time. The notification of the next delay only showed up after I had boarded. (It indicates that we are to depart in 6 minutes but passengers are still boarding so clearly they already know we will be here at the gate another 20 minutes.)

When will J service return to normal? Warm towels (PY also) and warm nuts?

Last edited by vancouver25k; Aug 18, 2022 at 6:24 am
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Is the multicity reward booking engine still coming in spring of 2021? Or ever?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: A3, AC
+1 for multi-city reward bookings.
Also wondering if they're ever going to re-implement *A Upgrades.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by cyralax
Also wondering if they're ever going to re-implement *A Upgrades.
At the very least I'd be curious to know what the obstacle / aversion is. The answers I've had so far are generally along the lines of "we have no plans to resume that program" but never specify why.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE
Will someone be taking thorough notes and/or live-blogging this? I can't attend, but would love to learn as much of it as possible.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:53 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary
At the very least I'd be curious to know what the obstacle / aversion is. The answers I've had so far are generally along the lines of "we have no plans to resume that program" but never specify why.
If I had to guess, it's that it was a program that was useful to very few people. Remember that it requires buying what are generally quite expensive underlying fares to be eligible, and then depends on something like reward space being open to be able to use it. It seems like BR had reasonably good deals on Y/B fares and decent amounts of space, but how many people were using SAUA to upgrade Y/B (or J/C or whatever are the J fares that are upgradeable to F) on LH group, UA, NH, etc? Not none, perhaps, but likely a fairly small number of customers.

On the other hand, some really basic stuff still doesn't exist. Multi-city still can't be booked online. Reward tickets can't be changed online. Those cause frustration to many customers and chew up time at the call centre.

So I suspect it's just a simple cost/benefit - there's a certain amount of tech work in getting SAUAs back up and running, and it's just not worth the investment, given the competing priorities and customer impact of the various initiatives.

It would be interesting to hear the answer from the horses' mouths, but I'd be willing to bet good money that it's as simple as that.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It would be interesting to hear the answer from the horses' mouths, but I'd be willing to bet good money that it's as simple as that.
You're probably right - though Mark/Scott/etc have generally been pretty open about that kind of thing in other parts of the program.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE
This is a pricey weekend including the flight, but it could be fun all the same. At least it appeals to my flight geek side.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
The "horse's mouth" told my friend back in 2021 that it was targeted for Q1 of 2022, but it was a lower priority item due to low utilization before COVID. Additionally the majority of upgrades were to destinations with no / few flight options at the time, so it wasn't really a priority item.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If I had to guess, it's that it was a program that was useful to very few people. Remember that it requires buying what are generally quite expensive underlying fares to be eligible, and then depends on something like reward space being open to be able to use it. It seems like BR had reasonably good deals on Y/B fares and decent amounts of space, but how many people were using SAUA to upgrade Y/B (or J/C or whatever are the J fares that are upgradeable to F) on LH group, UA, NH, etc? Not none, perhaps, but likely a fairly small number of customers.

On the other hand, some really basic stuff still doesn't exist. Multi-city still can't be booked online. Reward tickets can't be changed online. Those cause frustration to many customers and chew up time at the call centre.

So I suspect it's just a simple cost/benefit - there's a certain amount of tech work in getting SAUAs back up and running, and it's just not worth the investment, given the competing priorities and customer impact of the various initiatives.

I think YVR based members would benefit from this a fair bit. I'm often forced to fly LH transatlantic as its really the best option in terms of onward connections. I would have loved to upgrade J to F as their J product is much worse than AC. As well as the ANA, EVA and now Singapore options.

Last edited by tdiddy23; Aug 18, 2022 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If anyone who isn't attending has any interesting (I'm the judge of that ) questions for Mark/Scott, feel free to post them here and I'll add them to my list.
What are their plans for resuming plated meal service & PDBs?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
1) Is the Signature Suite offering being considered a success so far? What does "great" look like for that product?
2) If so, is there an intent to add further "high premium" elements to the service for high value passengers, and any insight into what those might look like?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.