Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ to Tahiti through SFO - bag procedure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Flying on a UA ticket but first leg is AC ( not codeshare) from YYZ to SFO, then on UA from SFO to PPT.

Do you think I need to retrieve our bags in SFO and re-check them for the PPT leg, or will they magically be checked in at YYZ for the whole trip to PPT.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
If they're on one ticket and the connection time isn't excessive/overnight, I don't see why they wouldn't.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:36 pm
zam

And if they are not one ticket, you should still ask persistently at bag drop. A knowledgeable agent can check it through.

Last edited by zam; Aug 9, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

They are on one ticket and the connection time is 3+ hours, so hopefully should be good. Just wanted to make sure we could go from Gate D to Gate G airside and enjoy the Polaris Lounge.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by DUHCAR
Flying on a UA ticket but first leg is AC ( not codeshare) from YYZ to SFO, then on UA from SFO to PPT.

Do you think I need to retrieve our bags in SFO and re-check them for the PPT leg, or will they magically be checked in at YYZ for the whole trip to PPT.

Thanks!
I don't think it will be an issue. The reason is that YYZ does US customs and immigration pre-clearance so the passengers and their bags from YYZ are treated as if they arrived on a US domestic flight into SFO and the connection in SFO should work like a domestic connection (no need to retrieve bags). Just make sure at YYZ that the luggage is tagged all the way to PPT.
DUHCAR likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
As others had mentioned, just make sure your bags are checked all the way to PPT.

There is a post-security walkway between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3, which is connected to International Terminal G. You can check-in with United at Polaris Lounge - present your baggage tags so they can add it to the record.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
As others had mentioned, just make sure your bags are checked all the way to PPT.

There is a post-security walkway between Terminal 2 and Terminal 3, which is connected to International Terminal G. You can check-in with United at Polaris Lounge - present your baggage tags so they can add it to the record.
The bags should be taken care of all the way through once you check them in YYZ with a destination of PPT, right? I don't see any point to add them to "the record" in the Polaris lounge. At that point they will have been in the record since check-in at YYZ, no need to do anything else.
DUHCAR likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The bags should be taken care of all the way through once you check them in YYZ with a destination of PPT, right? I don't see any point to add them to "the record" in the Polaris lounge. At that point they will have been in the record since check-in at YYZ, no need to do anything else.
If the flights are all on 1 ticket you'd be correct, but not if the flights are on separate tickets.
DUHCAR likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Sorted

Sorted. Thanks all.

Last edited by DUHCAR; Aug 10, 2022 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
If the flights are all on 1 ticket you'd be correct, but not if the flights are on separate tickets.
OP only mentioned one ticket so it should be good.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:38 am

They are on one ticket and the connection time is 3+ hours, so hopefully should be good. Just wanted to make sure we could go from Gate D to Gate G airside and enjoy the Polaris Lounge.
if you are going thru US on your way back to Toronto, you will need to clear US custom at the first US entry point, because Tahiti does not have us pre clearance.
skimthetrees likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
if you are going thru US on your way back to Toronto, you will need to clear US custom at the first US entry point, because Tahiti does not have us pre clearance.
Excellent point! OP only asked about the outbound direction but the inbound customs and immigration works differently and would take a bit more time and effort. If OP is a similar routing on the return it is something to be aware of.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Return

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
Coming back from Sydney through SFO then YYZ. I am expecting to have to “enter the U.S.” and transfer, but not too worried as have a 4 hour layover. Since we are on a UA biz ticket, I am looking forward to a nice shower and trying the Polaris lounge in SFO.

Last edited by DUHCAR; Aug 11, 2022 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Coming back from Sydney through SFO then YYZ. I am expecting to have to do something at SFO, but not too worried as have a 4 hour layover.
I haven't bothered to research the return. Maybe I get lucky and there is something in Sydney, but I doubt it. Since we are on a UA biz ticket, I am looking forward to a nice shower at the Polaris lounge in SFO.
At SFO, you will clear US immigration, retrieve your bags, drop them back off, and then reclear security.
DUHCAR likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:17 am

Curious, was this a reward redemption?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.