Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I Can't Check In Online / Online Check-In (OLCI) Issues (2020 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Can't Check In Online / Online Check-In (OLCI) Issues (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Flying EDI-LHR-YUL, booking on AC. The first leg is BA. AC says to check in with BA. BA won’t let me check in online, and at the airport the agent says she can’t check me in for the AC segment (nor check a bag through to YUL, of course).

The AC app is still telling me I need to check in with BA to get my LHR-YUL boarding pass. I have my BA boarding pass and an at the EDI gate, not checked in for my connecting flight.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
Flying EDI-LHR-YUL, booking on AC. The first leg is BA. AC says to check in with BA. BA won’t let me check in online, and at the airport the agent says she can’t check me in for the AC segment (nor check a bag through to YUL, of course).

The AC app is still telling me I need to check in with BA to get my LHR-YUL boarding pass. I have my BA boarding pass and an at the EDI gate, not checked in for my connecting flight.
Can't say about the app. But aren't you able to check in on aircanada.com for LHR-YUL? That used to work OK when first leg was not on AC.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked

That seems strange if this is the same PNR, as both AC and BA use Amadeus so BA should at least be able to complete customer acceptance. Even if they can't fully check you in, they should be able to check the bag to YUL.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Can't say about the app. But aren't you able to check in on aircanada.com for LHR-YUL? That used to work OK when first leg was not on AC.
AC OLCI when first segment is not on AC will generally only let you access once you have been accepted by the previous carrier.
Old May 18, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by D582
AC OLCI when first segment is not on AC will generally only let you access once you have been accepted by the previous carrier.
I didn’t try on the website after I checked in with BA in person, but couldn’t do it with the app. Possibly because I had a 12 hour overnight layover at LHR? I didn’t want to wait until the morning rush to check in, so headed to T2 when I landed last night to use the machine. That added a solid hour to the time it took me to reach my hotel, partly because crossrail is so infrequent at least at 10pm.

This would definitely deter me from booking with an initial BA leg again if my experience isn’t anomalous. Not only was it a time suck but the inability to check in promptly coukd affect gate order. Luckily I was still able to clear into J (the last in the queue to make it) so am typing this from 6D.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:03 pm

Welp - finally had a run in with AC's OLCI. Booked with UA as a codeshare flight.

Have been having weird problems with my booking ever since I had a schedule change that had to be resolved through UA a few months ago (my outbound leg completely vanished, and I was left only with an inbound leg). I've since been unable to view it under "My Bookings", unable to select seats, etc. on AC's website. Any activity on AC's website with the AC PNR yielded an error, "please contact us to request a refund", or something. Prior to the schedule change, this was never an issue.

Contacted AC, and they assured me everything was good to go with the booking. OLCI opens, and now saying that my flight is not available for check-in. Frustrating, as I was planning a fairly late arrival at the airport tomorrow due to work commitments... doesn't leave much room for whatever surprises I end up encountering at the airport.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I've found the not available for online check-in often happens on cross border and international flights due to document checks. May just be that.

Originally Posted by Denguin
Welp - finally had a run in with AC's OLCI. Booked with UA as a codeshare flight.

Have been having weird problems with my booking ever since I had a schedule change that had to be resolved through UA a few months ago (my outbound leg completely vanished, and I was left only with an inbound leg). I've since been unable to view it under "My Bookings", unable to select seats, etc. on AC's website. Any activity on AC's website with the AC PNR yielded an error, "please contact us to request a refund", or something. Prior to the schedule change, this was never an issue.

Contacted AC, and they assured me everything was good to go with the booking. OLCI opens, and now saying that my flight is not available for check-in. Frustrating, as I was planning a fairly late arrival at the airport tomorrow due to work commitments... doesn't leave much room for whatever surprises I end up encountering at the airport.
​​​​​​
Denguin likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 1, 2023 at 7:30 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old May 31, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by folkart
I've found the not available for online check-in often happens on cross border and international flights due to document checks. May just be that.
Hopefully that's all it is.

I'm guessing there's no way to get seats selected prior to this being resolved at the airport? Would be nice to guarantee our party sitting together.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:49 am

Cannot check in 13 yo child

We're flying YYZ-LAX tomorrow. I did the online check-in this morning using our Nexus cards. I got boarding passes for all of us except my 13-year-old. It won't let me check her in and tells me to see an agent at the terminal. I double-checked the information they have on file and it appears to be accurate. Any clue what would cause this? Any point in trying to call in today?
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
No point in calling in. They will tell you only what you already know, which is that you need to see an agent at the airport.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by zorn
No point in calling in. They will tell you only what you already know, which is that you need to see an agent at the airport.
I agree that it's not worth calling in as the call centre won't be much help (though if you are seriously concerned that there is something wrong with the ticket, they may give you some peace of mind there).

I have occasionally had it say it can't issue a boarding pass, but then it has shown up in the app.

Any chance some family members are seated in an emergency row?

either way, these things do happen and are generally no cause for concern. They are just inconveniences.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pedanticus
We're flying YYZ-LAX tomorrow. I did the online check-in this morning using our Nexus cards. I got boarding passes for all of us except my 13-year-old. It won't let me check her in and tells me to see an agent at the terminal. I double-checked the information they have on file and it appears to be accurate. Any clue what would cause this? Any point in trying to call in today?
Not worth calling, if you’re all on the same ticketed booking together, the seat assignments show for all of you in the booking, and you are all of the same nationality not needing a visa and/or ESTA to fly to the US.

Hopefully, your teenage daughter isn’t hit with the haraSSSSment screening flag — and that’s been one of the top three or four causes for this kind of situation on YYZ-US flights with kids — but that means padding extra time to check-in person at the airport and also padding in extra time to deal with the additional security screening.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 4, 2023 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by pedanticus
Was your 13 year old on their own booking? If so, the system sees them as traveling alone.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:19 pm

Thanks all. All on the same booking. No emergency row. All Canadian citizens. Find out tomorrow I guess.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:50 am

flight in 15 hours, check in says it's too early

i have an intra-european flight tomorrow morning on lufthansa then onwards to canada, also on LH. then a domestic flight on AC.

the LH check-in web page sends me to the AC check-in page which then tells me that check in opens 24 hours before the flight. immediately to the left of that message is text telling me that my flight is in 15 hours.

i assume that AC is only taking the domestic flight into account. as i will be asleep here at that time, i won't be able to check-in online beforehand. not a huge deal but i usually like to check-in online when it opens.

i'm just curious, though. does AC not see that the flights begin with LH? Where is the problem and is there any way to work around it?

[edit to add:] this is an AC ticket (014)

Last edited by rambling man; Jul 17, 2023 at 11:03 am
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by rambling man
i have an intra-european flight tomorrow morning on lufthansa then onwards to canada, also on LH. then a domestic flight on AC.

the LH check-in web page sends me to the AC check-in page which then tells me that check in opens 24 hours before the flight. immediately to the left of that message is text telling me that my flight is in 15 hours.

i assume that AC is only taking the domestic flight into account. as i will be asleep here at that time, i won't be able to check-in. not a huge deal but i usually like to check-in online when it opens.

i'm just curious, though. does AC not see that the flights begin with LH? Where is the problem and is there any way to work around it?
If LH won't let you OLCI, you would have to check in with an agent at the airport. AC will only let you CI for their segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.