Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I Can't Check In Online / Online Check-In (OLCI) Issues (2020 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Can't Check In Online / Online Check-In (OLCI) Issues (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tecate55
The PR card is a strange thing: your PR status could have expired even if your card hasn’t expired yet (at which point, in theory, someone should return their card). And you could have PR status even without a card (but airports don’t approve of this but land borders are different beasts).

Just don’t lose your PR card overseas: creates a real mess where Canadian-bound flights won’t board you, but you can fly to USA and drive across (if your PR status is still good), because you do have right of entry.

Basically CBSA (“customs”) has pushed a lot of its validation work to airlines even if the rules cause refusals of individuals with right of entry (just try boarding with a citizenship card, you’ll fail).

Scanning the PR card takes the place of eTA authorization, and the airline probably won’t get in crap (ie: fines) if they boarded someone after scanning a valid card.
I believe airlines (at least AC) has integrated with CBSA system. There were handful times where I was presented the option to add a secondary document, where I can add my PR card number, then OLCI was successful and I was issued an electronic BP. IIRC I don't even have to present the PR card when going back, just scan the BP QR code and do a passport check to verify my identity.

Originally Posted by SilverChris
I recently travelled with a travel companion who's a PR. There was an option to add a secondary document when checking in online. It was a bit glitchy, as I recall. First we had to enter the nationality and passport details, then clicked continue. When the system realized the traveller didn't have an eTA/needed a visa, the option for a secondary document became available. We could then select 'PR Card' from the dropdown and enter the number. That seemed to satisfy the system which generated all our boarding passes.

You still have to carry the physical card when you travel, just like your passport. The airline can't take your word for it even if they've seen it on a previous trip.
This only happened twice in my past 10 flights to YYZ. I did a 3 back-to-back MR runs on route YYZ-DUB, the 1st time I have to go to the counter to check-in, which was super challenging as the YYZ-DUB bound always delay 1~3 hours, and they don't push the return flight's departure time as much to match the inbound delay. I had to run for my life once I got to DUB and rush through immigrant, exit custom, go to AC's counter at departure to print my BP. The two MR runs after the 1st one, I had this option to add secondary document for PR card, so I didn't have to run for my life anymore. However, the other 6ish flights afterwards all require document check and I can't check in until I went to the air port, which is a huge pain in the ... and lower my priority on EUP.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 9, 2022 at 7:36 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 20, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Check-in woes

Apologies if there is a thread about this, but I can't find it. Just getting back into traveling.

I am flying DRS-MUC-YYZ-YYT tomorrow (October 21). When check-in opened today, I got separate emails from LH (first) and AC (second). Air Canada's check-in process didn't include the LH segment. So, I checked in at LH, but it doesn't check me in for the AC flight. And the AC site won't let me check-in at all. I wouldn't care except I am on the waitlist for an upgrade for the MUC-YYZ flight and can't get transferred to the airport upgrade list if not checked in.
I contacted AC Twitter and they suggested I check with an LH agent at the airport (tomorrow?).
Any other options here? Or am I SOL?
Thanks,
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Livyer
Apologies if there is a thread about this, but I can't find it. Just getting back into traveling.

I am flying DRS-MUC-YYZ-YYT tomorrow (October 21). When check-in opened today, I got separate emails from LH (first) and AC (second). Air Canada's check-in process didn't include the LH segment. So, I checked in at LH, but it doesn't check me in for the AC flight. And the AC site won't let me check-in at all. I wouldn't care except I am on the waitlist for an upgrade for the MUC-YYZ flight and can't get transferred to the airport upgrade list if not checked in.
I contacted AC Twitter and they suggested I check with an LH agent at the airport (tomorrow?).
Any other options here? Or am I SOL?
Thanks,
I ran into something similar last week on Aegean. The issue for me was that for some reason AC didn’t have my passport number and expiry listed on the booking and it was blocking Aegean from checking in all the flights. I had to go on the Aegean website (not the app) and it had increased functionality to recognize this issue and I was able to input my details on the website and it ended up checking me in thru the whole itinerary. But neither Aegean, Air Canada, or the concierge could figure out what the problem was.

Hopefully your issue is something similar.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Livyer
Apologies if there is a thread about this, but I can't find it.
Moderator note: this thread was thrown together last night after realizing we have a bunch of recent threads on OLCI issues but nothing very comprehensive, and some at times recurring issues. We'll see whether this helps make it easier for people to find information on OLCI issues going forward.
governorgeneral and Livyer like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AC SE
I have OLCI problem every time I have a confirmed e-upgrade segment and a waitlisted segment. The problem is solved by seeing a competent check-in agent.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by TheViperOne
I ran into something similar last week on Aegean. The issue for me was that for some reason AC didn’t have my passport number and expiry listed on the booking and it was blocking Aegean from checking in all the flights. I had to go on the Aegean website (not the app) and it had increased functionality to recognize this issue and I was able to input my details on the website and it ended up checking me in thru the whole itinerary. But neither Aegean, Air Canada, or the concierge could figure out what the problem was.

Hopefully your issue is something similar.
It wasn't passport data, as the Lufthansa site pulled up my passport information when I started the login process. I guess I'll find out in the morning. Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:04 am

I was able to check in for all flights this morning at the Dresden airport (where they agent said "Oh, you only checked in for the first flight" - LOL, well I tried). Also found an email from AC from earlier this morning (before I got to the airport) telling me to check in or I would not be able to fly. Well down the upgrade list for MUC-YYZ (#6), with only two seats available, Hopefully, someone upgrading from PE will open a seat for me in PE (where I am first on the list).
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Similar problem for us. We are dual nationals (Can & UK) and are travelling on our Canadian passport to the UK. There are no visa requirements for Canadians to enter the UK as a tourist.
But during OLCI we had to complete a secondary travel "visa" form in order to OLCI. So I entered our UK passport details and we were able to check in on line.
Weird. Never seen this before on multiple trips there. I guess we should take our UK passports with us as back up (even though the electronic gates are OK with Canadian passports nowadays)

EDIT: I now get it - we are nesting flights from another carrier and our AC return is in 8 mo i.e. > 6 months allowed on a Canadian passport

Last edited by tomvancouver; Oct 26, 2022 at 9:36 pm Reason: got new info from a Google search!
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
Similar problem for us. We are dual nationals (Can & UK) and are travelling on our Canadian passport to the UK. There are no visa requirements for Canadians to enter the UK as a tourist.
But during OLCI we had to complete a secondary travel "visa" form in order to OLCI. So I entered our UK passport details and we were able to check in on line.
Weird. Never seen this before on multiple trips there. I guess we should take our UK passports with us as back up (even though the electronic gates are OK with Canadian passports nowadays)

EDIT: I now get it - we are nesting flights from another carrier and our AC return is in 8 mo i.e. > 6 months allowed on a Canadian passport
l’m unclear if your PRN has the return flight. If so, best to call AC well before your return to get the file changed to your Canadian passport. Only AC can do this. Otherwise, you will need an ETA to be able to check in. Plus it wastes a huge amount of time at the airport when they try to do it. If your return is a separate tx, you should be okay.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:32 pm

online check-in today

I've been trying to check in to a flight that leaves on Sunday, Nov 6 at 9:30 pm Atlantic time. It keeps telling me that checkin for that flight is not open yet. Is check-in not working? Do I have to wait for another time zone? Is something amiss that I don't know about?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by karns
I've been trying to check in to a flight that leaves on Sunday, Nov 6 at 9:30 pm Atlantic time. It keeps telling me that checkin for that flight is not open yet. Is check-in not working? Do I have to wait for another time zone? Is something amiss that I don't know about?
Try it now, it may just have opened two minutes before your post, considering clocks go back an hour tonight.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I think Paul is right. Check in opens 24 hours before departure which means with the clock jump you can only check in from 10:30 Atlantic.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by karns
It appears to be strictly 24 hours, so the end of daylight saving time appears to mess up that. I got the same issue this morning and realized it after a few minutes.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:47 pm

Thanks everyone! What you said is exactly right! Just after I posted, it opened for checking in. I had thought of that, but the time hasn't changed yet!!
Old Nov 5, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Friend had same issue today... was a few minutes before the actual 24-hour mark and then tried again later successfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.