Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC has four distinct batches of CR9s which have significant differences in overhead bins and other amenities:
  • FINs 701-716
    • Originally built as CRJ-705s (CRJ-900s that were limited to 75 seats to comply with AC's scope clause) in the mid-2000s
    • Bins: they do fit a regulation-sized roll-aboard, but are very tight and crappy; 2 closets in J, 1 in Y
    • WiFi: yes
    • IFE: yes (very old XM system)
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets in J, one per pair of Y seats to row 16
  • FINs 717-721
    • New build "Next Gen" aircraft delivered 2017
    • Bins: slightly better than the old bins, but not great; smaller closet in J
    • WiFi: yes
    • IFE: yes (very old XM system)
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets in J, one per pair of Y seats to row 16
  • FINs 722-730
    • New build aircraft with Atmosphere cabin delivered 2020-21
    • Overhead bins: larger overhead bins, including wheels first in J, very small closet In J
    • WiFi: no
    • IFE: no
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets + USB every J seat and 1 per pair in Y
  • FINs 780-784
    • Original CRJ-900s delivered to SkyWest (for Delta) in mid-2000s
    • Bins: they do fit a regulation-sized roll-aboard, but are very tight and crappy; next to no closet space in J
    • WiFi: maybe - previously was available, recent reports suggest it may be disabled on most or all
    • IFE: no
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets + USB every J seat and 1 per pair in Y
Print Wikipost

CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by markolenski
Thx I don’t want the bag going to Tokyo so I will short check the bag I have 5 hours to go to baggage claim so it will give me something to do.
But that would mean that you would have to go through Canada Customs then go landside and back through security to go airside.
Are you sure you are that bored?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Short checking would only be if checking the bag at check-in. As far as I'm aware, once they gate check, it's going all the way to the final destination, and I've heard people ask, numerous times, to have gate-checked bags available at a connection point, and be denied. Not to say it's impossible to short check at gate-check as I can't definitively state that it's impossible, but it certainly shouldn't be counted on.

OP, are you in Y or in J, and what size is your bag? If you're in J, you should have access to the closet to store your bag, especially if it conforms to AC's size limits (even if it won't quite fit in the bin). If you're bringing an oversize bag, bring a different bag or just check it. The CR9 bins suck and it's not worth the hassle. And if you're in Y, especially if you don't have status and will board towards the end, there's a good chance the bag will have to be gate checked. Or the only way to avoid a gate check may be to put it at your feet and put your smaller item in the overhead.
I think it’s F11 or F9 on the new system to short check the bag when at the gate.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
Thx I don’t want the bag going to Tokyo so I will short check the bag I have 5 hours to go to baggage claim so it will give me something to do.
At the check in counter you can ask for a tag to short check your carry on.

when you land at YVR do not go with connections you will need to get your bag.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:38 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Last time I flew a CR9, the closet was reserved for row 1. Row 3 was not permitted to use it.
Was this an ex-SkyWest plane? Even in the old days of one closet (before they re-configured and re-designated the CRAs to CR9s), I don't ever remember being refused to put my bag in the closet.

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I think it’s F11 or F9 on the new system to short check the bag when at the gate.
But will they do it? As I said, I've heard many people ask and be refused. Maybe pre-Amadeus it wasn't possible and it has changed.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It may have been ex-SkyWest. Can't recall.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I was refused twice last month. Row 2 and Row 3. Had to put it under the seat.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
On the 26th I flew YUL-YOW on the CR900 and sat in 1D and the lady in 1A had her carry on in the closet as well as the bag belonging to the Captain in 3D. I do not recall any others asking besides those two
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Last time I was on one (earlier this month) in Y the FA put my bag in the closet in the back. Helped that I was first on board I am sure though,
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:39 am

I have a flight I booked through United from San Diego to Vancouver on Air Canada then onto Tokyo on ANA. It looks like my regular wheeled carry on may not fit and I will need to gate check the bag. I don’t want it to be checked to Tokyo. Will I get the bag back at the jetway or will I pick it up at Vancouver baggage claim.
don't let AC check the carry on all the way to tokyo because ANA might force you to pay if you are over your allowance for check in bag. see link below.

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
don't let AC check the carry on all the way to tokyo because ANA might force you to pay if you are over your allowance for check in bag. see link below.

Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!
Wow I'm halfway through that thread and... wow.

However, in this case, if OP has fewer total bags than the allowance, it won't be an issue for the charge.

I bought a second smaller roller specifically for the CR9 since they're now operating 2 of the 5 daily SFO<->YVR flights. My big one will fit with a little effort if it's not overstuffed, but the small one slides in and out very easily.

I'd probably try to plan for the trip assuming a larger carry-on will be checked. Either accept that, and bring on what you need as a personal item, or get a smaller carry-on that will fit.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Wow I'm halfway through that thread and... wow.

However, in this case, if OP has fewer total bags than the allowance, it won't be an issue for the charge.

I bought a second smaller roller specifically for the CR9 since they're now operating 2 of the 5 daily SFO<->YVR flights. My big one will fit with a little effort if it's not overstuffed, but the small one slides in and out very easily.

I'd probably try to plan for the trip assuming a larger carry-on will be checked. Either accept that, and bring on what you need as a personal item, or get a smaller carry-on that will fit.
I have to agree with this. I was on the CR9's twice weekly for 3 months (YVR - YXE and back Wednesday & Thursday) and my bag that is exactly the size according to the mfr (and I think maybe actually 0.5inch bigger) will fit with a bit of effort.

With that being said - the FA would always let me use the closet if I asked.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
Flying 3 hours in an Air Canada crj

Hi,
I recently flew from Toronto to New Orleans in a crj900. I usually dislike flying regional jet of any kind, especially on a 3 hour route. That being said, this flight actually impressed me. The padding on the seats were very comfortable and the legroom is great. I had a more enjoyable ride than flying on a 737 or even widebody jets. Anyways just wondering if anyone prefers air canada's crj900 over large single isle jets when flying. Also I've made a video detailing my flight.. which includes clips of the seat and legroom. Feel free to check it out. Thanks!

Last edited by angusho; Jan 26, 2020 at 1:42 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by angusho
Hi,
I recently flew from Toronto to Vancouver in a crj900. I usually dislike flying regional jet of any kind, especially on a 3 hour route. That being said, this flight actually impressed me. The padding on the seats were very comfortable and the legroom is great. I had a more enjoyable ride than flying on a 737 or even widebody jets. Anyways just wondering if anyone prefers air canada's crj900 over large single isle jets when flying. Also I've made a video detailing my flight.. which includes clips of the seat and legroom. Feel free to check it out. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf2SJeY6yEM&t=36s
US flights do not depart from a different terminal. They depart from a different section of each of the terminals, as do international flights, and domestic flights.

Also, your boarding pass said you were going to MSY, not YVR (which I was going to call out anyway as the CR9 does not fly YYZ-YVR).

Might want to have an editor look over your stuff before publishing it.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
US flights do not depart from a different terminal. They depart from a different section of each of the terminals, as do international flights, and domestic flights.

Also, your boarding pass said you were going to MSY, not YVR (which I was going to call out anyway as the CR9 does not fly YYZ-YVR).

Might want to have an editor look over your stuff before publishing it.
I meant MSY(New Orleans) don't know where I got Vancouver from lol. my bad
YYZ_tatlflyer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
That is one magically fast commercial aircraft!

​​​​​​For which my preference is, depends on what seat I can get. Push comes to shove, I'd rather an A column seat in a CRJ, 170/190 over any Y seat. And if it's a middle on a 3x3 vs a window or aisle on a 2x2, it's no choice at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.