Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
From the press announcement on Emirates website :
To further enhance the customer experience, the carriers will also establish reciprocal frequent flyer benefits and reciprocal lounge access for qualifying customers. Further details of the partnership and specific codeshare routes will be announced when finalized and will be subject to regulatory approvals and final documentation.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Shocking that Emirates A380's, their crews, and in flight service standards and catering somehow can meet Air Canada's prestigious purchased 4* Skytrax standard. /sarcasm

I thought my Emirates LHR-DXB boarding pass on AC ticket stock was a unique souvenir. Though they can hardly compare to a Transborder MLL, some of the EK lounges have jetbridges to keep elites further from the Zone 2-9 riff raff.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Since at least this spring, EK segments show up on some AC.com paid booking options. Perhaps this was a trial run of some initial partnership. They seem to show only 1-2 days of the week despite all the flights operating daily.

​​​
JTXC likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Jul 12, 2022 at 6:33 pm
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:14 pm

So, will AC give up DXB for a rev share of the pie with EK ? Sharing FF benefits and lounge etc, etc seems to be more than a thru traffic connection from DXB.
And Westjet probably loses connection traffic within Canada from EK in YYZ to AC.
The other possible loser to some extent will be LH for connections to Africa.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by expert7700
Shocking that Emirates A380's, their crews, and in flight service standards and catering somehow can meet Air Canada's prestigious purchased 4* Skytrax standard. /sarcasm

I thought my Emirates LHR-DXB boarding pass on AC ticket stock was a unique souvenir. Though they can hardly compare to a Transborder MLL, some of the EK lounges have jetbridges to keep elites further from the Zone 2-9 riff raff.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Since at least this spring, EK segments show up on some AC.com paid booking options. Perhaps this was a trial run of some initial partnership. They seem to show only 1-2 days of the week despite all the flights operating daily. The A380 made for an excellent LHR-DXB flight and way to earn some SQD.

​​​​​
Emirates have long been a connector in LHR to/from AC - pretty sure I have a couple tickets from 2013/14. This is nothing new.

If Aeroplan indeed does get EK for redemptions - all the bloggers will wet themselves, there aren't many reasonable mileage redemptions for Emirates nowadays.
There hasnt been a good EK F redemption opportunity since you could get 5 segments in EK F for 100k off Alaska miles before the devaluation about 5 years ago.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by TorTraveler
At least in Toronto, where Emirates is the only non-Star Alliance airline operating out of Terminal 1, this makes a lot of sense.
One major reason Emirates uses T1 @ Toronto is Emirates flies Airbus A 380 into Toronto. There are only 2 gates that can handle the A 380 @ Toronto, both of these gates are at T1 .
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mgn2000
One major reason Emirates uses T1 @ Toronto is Emirates flies Airbus A 380 into Toronto. There are only 2 gates that can handle the A 380 @ Toronto, both of these gates are at T1 .
Gate C34A at Terminal 3 is also A380 capable.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mgn2000
EK tried T3 for a few weeks, but they flooded almost all the baggage belts there, so they had to go back to T1.
ChrisA330 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:38 pm

Lots of partnerships with ME3. Partnership first with EY, then QR and now EK. None are Star Alliance. I think something with Gulf Air too.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:32 am

Have there been any updates/news regarding this partnership? Curious as considering booking some EK flights later this year.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:59 am

Any updates on when you can redeem AP for Emirates?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has AC said that you'll ever be able to?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Has AC said that you'll ever be able to?
Yes, they have.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...856413095.html

"Coming soon, the airlines will introduce a reciprocal frequent flyer offering, allowing members of Aeroplan and Skywards to earn and redeem points on flights operated by Emirates and Air Canada, respectively. Eligible passengers will also soon be able to take advantage of reciprocal lounge access, along with select benefits for Aeroplan Elite and Skywards members when travelling on the partner airline. Further details and launch dates will be announced at a later date."
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That actually surprises me then.

They have said that some new partners are taking a lot longer than others because AC is their first partnership. Bamboo has never allowed partner redemptions, so it makes sense that it could take more effort.

But EK has a partner or two.

CX allows booking into U (business) class.
EY allows booking into N (economy) class.
etc.

Why is EK more complicated than just saying "book business into D" (or whatever it is)?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: EK Gold - Marriott Titanium - Hilton Gold
Air Canada & Emirates

Hi all,
With the new partnership / Code sharing agreement between Emirates and AC, will there any Status match? am currently Gold on Emirates (been Platinum few years before Covid) and was wondering if they will give any status that could help flying within Canada (I have no Status with AC)

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by iamhz
Hi all,
With the new partnership / Code sharing agreement between Emirates and AC, will there any Status match? am currently Gold on Emirates (been Platinum few years before Covid) and was wondering if they will give any status that could help flying within Canada (I have no Status with AC)
Airlines use status matches as a way to take business from competitors, not from partners. So it's very unlikely AC will offer any status matches on EK status.

Whether there may be any reciprocal benefits (AC offering benefits to EK FFs based on their EK status when flying on AC and vice versa) is impossible to say at this time. But most of AC's non-*A partnerships don't include any reciprocal FFP benefits; VA is the only one, off the top of my head.
iamhz likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.